Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Blocking...

Methanoid

so i aquired a mod to reflect some dmg back in the face of an enemy, which sounds pretty handy ("Reflection").  I thought id deliberatly try and change my playing style briefly to use this feature as often as i could to see how useful it was and have come to the conclusion that with 1 minor adjustment it could be worthwhile for normal use or with this mod.

Is it possible when we press our block key that we are locked in the direction we are facing, so that basically we remain facing the direction we are in and moving left/right/back doesnt make us run in that direction but rather strafe or walk backwards until we release block.  (allow mouse left/right to be the only way to "turn/face a direction").

It just seems a nice feature is missing that 1 small thing, if you have a few opponents to your front and wish to block i feel it would be better if pressing back just made you slowly walk backwards and keep you facing your opponents instead of turning your back on them still in the block position.

so good or dumb idea?

For real it doesn't strafe?

How could they miss something to obvious?

+1

Also how about the stamina goes down when you are actually blocking stuff, not just holding up the weapon?

Apparently your arms get tired from holding up blades, but not a heavy projectile weapon. 

I fully support the ability to strafe when blocking and only stamina drain when actually blocking something. 

Apparently your arms get tired from holding up blades, but not a heavy projectile weapon. 

I fully support the ability to strafe when blocking and only stamina drain when actually blocking something. 

small stamina drop for a successful block, large stamina drop for blocking a charged/heavy shot?

I would greatly appreciate this being implemented.

Right now you can strafe while blocking by holding the aim button, but you will move slowly because aiming slows you to a walking speed.

The only issue I see with this is that DE may need to create new movement animations for strafing while blocking at a faster pace.

so blocking reliably and significantly reduces damage taken now? cause it didn't when i last tested said mod some weeks ago.

atm the wiki states.

"Holding the block button (default 'Mouse 4') will halve melee damage and deflect some of the bullets. Damage blocking percentage is unknown."

as for the reflection mod, user comments state that it doesnt mitigate any damage it only sends back the stated % of dmg that you have recieved in full.  If the above part about 1/2ing melee dmg is correct then i wonder then if reflection sends back full dmg while you take 1/2 or if it reflects the 1/2'd dmg you took.

it would be nice to have blocking be more useful/viable tho, with and without mods, and id be very interested in a hybrid/nightmare mod that has dmg reflection/low % chance to fully deflect dmg.  Its not like its an iwin option, there is the stamina usage penalty afterall.

EDIT: Now i think about it, ive read other peoples posts about other frames such as rhino not being "tanky enough" and other frames with simply low survivability, maybe block chance etc could be a lower/higher built in stat for each frame, so that frames that are designed/intended to be able to survive better than others while under fire have the block option, a trade in, survivability at the expense of not being able to fight back.

Just random thought(s) on how blocking could be made more game friendly, its a shame that as i'm getting slightly better at the game that myself and others seem to just flee from fights rather than face them, a boosted/useful block mechanic could help change that and make the game seem more varied than flee or run and gun.

Edited by Methanoid

Alright I advertise this a lot, but I have a thread mentioning this exact thing and more about blocking and other systems.

It is located inside my About Me Page, because you know, I actually bothered to update the thing.

Or you can be lazy and just follow the link here to the thread itself. It's a little old now, but I feel it still has some good content inside.

I'm also open to any feedback regarding numbers. I know mine are not perfect, and I practically puked them out. I'll probably revise the entire post at some point, but I got homework due Monday.

Now so I don't turn this post into total advertisement,

I agree we should be able to strafe while blocking. Blocking needs much more, obviously, but thisis one mechanic that would make the whole blocking system feel much smoother.

Edited by LeoAtKnight

Jedi-Knight bullet blocking?

maybe a mod for that (10-75% chance to block incoming bullets when in blocking stance)

I'd equipp the S#&$ out of that mod!

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Reflection

doesnt block the dmg, you still take normal block mechanic damage only you return a % of what you recieve.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Maneuvers#Blocking

states block halves melee dmg and apparantly has an unknown chance to deflect ranged fire.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Reflex_Guard

Just got this today, comments on wiki state its trash, after some playtime personally i like it, i can see how it would annoy people who use their weapons a lot, but for me trying to roll as melee heavy as i can, its perfect, even activates/procs when sliding, and melee stops it early whereas shooting has to wait for it to finish its animation.  Havent used it with reflection i think there was a comment stating it crashes the game when the 2 are used, unless that got fixed recently?

the systems already there, its just a tad inefficient at present.

Edited by Methanoid

atm the wiki states.

"Holding the block button (default 'Mouse 4') will halve melee damage and deflect some of the bullets. Damage blocking percentage is unknown."

Whoever wrote that clearly hasn't actually tried blocking.

Because after repeated attempts, I just stopped blocking because it never did anything. At all.

Try to block ancient attacks? Still get full damage and knocked down!

Try to block grineer shooting you? Still get full damage despite animation playing!

Try to block Vor's laser attack, knowing you've seen people get that animation from the E3 trailer when they try blocking it? Still get full damage despite that exact same animation playing.

This is why I heavily dislike the new blocking mods. They actually make blocking do something...and that's the problem. Blocking out of the box does not work at all as far as I can tell, and thus the devs should focus on making blocking work out of the box instead of trying to band aid it with mods, especially in light of the fact that there's already a huge problem with most mods in the sense that the benefit they are providing is just too little compared to the cost in the current mod system. So it's not even a good band aid!

Edited by RealityMachina

i tried using the Reflex Guard mod along with Reflection, and waiting for Reflex Guard to proc, then held Block, nice to see the block/parry animation and reflection did reflect some gunfire dmg back while Reflex Guard is proccing, however the dmg was tiny, i think it stripped off their shields which overall is still quite good, however holding block during Reflex Guard drained stamina almost instantly, so the overall effect was good/useful but far too costly.

Its a Faaaaaast drop for stamina as block consumes stamina quite fast and reflex guard also eats yet more stamina for a successfull auto parry, might not be as bad if somethign somewhere was more forgiving on stamina drain.

Im still using Reflex Guard as part of my loki/melee playstyle but ive since dumped reflection, i'd quite like to take better advantage of both but tbh the 2 together are just too much cost for too little gain, i'd even end up putting myself in more danger than usual trying to get more use from reflection.

Edited by Methanoid

I like your idea, but one thing I should add is only active blocking should do that. Reflex Guard shouldn't lock you into facing one direction unless you also press the block button.

Blocking as a whole needs a buff to damage reduced though. I love rushing in with high Reflex Guard and Reflection for the lulz factor, but it simply isn't useful with the current level of damage reduction.