The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shouldn´t Warframes Have More Mod Slots?

lautalocos

i was thinking on how many "obligatory" mods  you need in a warframe, and i realised how little customization the lack of mod slots cause.

these are the "obligatory" mods:

redirection

vitality

flow

all the warframe skills

a mod which affects skills or in some cases 2 (duration, power and range mods)

if you are a caster warframe definetely streamline.

that leaves from 0 to 2 mod slots free for making your loadout.

im pretty sure DE, and most, if not all players, would like to make their unique warframe builds, but the lack of mod slots really takes away the abiltity to make them, plus it makes most utility mods, like enemy radar, rush, heavy impact and all the other mods to never be used. as an example if i wish to take away a mod which costs a lot of energy to take 2 mosd which cost less, i can´t do it because of the mod slots.

we are already limited by energy capacity, which is completely fine, but i think we should have more mod slots.

i guess 2 or 4 more would be fine to make use of all the maximum energy capacity of a warframe.

any feedback would be appreciated.

yea sure.

you do realise that the whole idea behind a large amount of mods to choose from + a limited amount of slots simply means you have to make trade-ofs? that's the whole idea.

but yea, there should be a different slot as well, imo. we currently have 'normal mods' and 'aura'. I think there should be a slot for 'tactical non-combat mods' like master thief. it should still draw from the same mod pool, though.

oh and: I rarely use flow and practically never used vitality. they are useful but not 'obligatory'. I generally also have 1 skill on a frame which I tend to rarely (or never) use, so I leave it out. for example: Banshee's Silence.

I prefer to have cheaper skill costs over a large supply of energy to build up.

Edited by Alighierian

yea sure.

you do realise that the whole idea behind a large amount of mods to choose from + a limited amount of slots simply means you have to make trade-ofs? that's the whole idea.

but yea, there should be a different slot as well, imo. we currently have 'normal mods' and 'aura'. I think there should be a slot for 'tactical non-combat mods' like master thief. it should still draw from the same mod pool, though.

Ok, but the OP still has a good point, the game has gotten to the level where there are TOO many different mods to choose from, hence rendering many of them useless (e.g warm coat, laser resistance ect) on the other hand if DE gave us some "Passive" mod slots that would solve the dilemma 

Could be useful that one - perhaps then I'd actually have a use for something like the Intruder mod...

yea sure.

but we have enegy for trade offs. and the sheer number of mods that are a necesity is too big. theres a lot of mods which i would love to use, but because of the lack of mod slots, i can´t use them

No I don't think so. Imagine how boring it would get if someone just forma'd their Rhino over and over. It would be too easy. I mean he's an easy frame to play and he hits hard. If people put more mods on him it would just be stupid.

Warframes don't need more mod slots, they all need to balanced to each other and not certain frames being better than others.

No I don't think so. Imagine how boring it would get if someone just forma'd their Rhino over and over. It would be too easy. I mean he's an easy frame to play and he hits hard. If people put more mods on him it would just be stupid.

Warframes don't need more mod slots, they all need to balanced to each other and not certain frames being better than others.

thats a balancing problem with the warframe, not the mod slots

since this game main goal isnt pvp and even pvp takes into account those multiple formas it wouldnt really hurt the game....

If someone is stupid enough to make a game so easy you can win by sleeping then leave the stupid one alone. it's not because you can do it that you HAVE to do it. Also i have also seen said shortage of mod slot for warframes and as OP said the energy cost already refrain you from overusage of mods. there have been some decent suggestions in this thread in my opinion and I also know this is not the first time such a thread as been started so I think DE should look into this and give us some feedback as to why we dont need more warframe slots, if that is what they think or resolve this issue if they end up thinking that some more slots might help.

Here's hoping a DE gives us such a feedback

1. That would me Rhino is already unbalanced.

2. Since it would add slots to EVERY frame, I'd consider that balance.

To OP: I've brought this up before, people are half and half on it, I think. Though, I definitely am rooting for this.

Why do you act like Rhino would only get this perk?

I never use Flow except on Ember(and not always), unless there is some sort of mechanic I'm not aware of, I don't see how having more energy is more efficient than simply using less with Streamline, at least in most cases. I also almost never use vitality, and I don't use Redirection when I play as a few frames like Nyx. So I'm questioning how obligatory those mods are.

Why do you act like Rhino would only get this perk?

There are non-Rhino Warframes?

i was thinking on how many "obligatory" mods  you need in a warframe, and i realised how little customization the lack of mod slots cause.

I agree and for the same reason too. Most of your mod slots aren't customization. They're stuff you have to equip to be viable and don't have any choice about.

I never use Flow except on Ember(and not always), unless there is some sort of mechanic I'm not aware of, I don't see how having more energy is more efficient than simply using less with Streamline, at least in most cases. I also almost never use vitality, and I don't use Redirection when I play as a few frames like Nyx. So I'm questioning how obligatory those mods are.

There are non-Rhino Warframes?

If you don't use vitality how do you avoid being killed instantly by poison? Also, if your shields go down how do you expect my Trinity to heal you before you run out of health?

Edited by Lachryphage

Seems like something to do after damage 2.0.

But many of these new and old mods (any elemental resistance, hacking, +damage while downed) were never good enough for a slot to begin with. 

Should be a way to keep mod cost for some of these more "natural" abilities that create a more custom suit while not using real slot for important stuff.

Not to say I want it all for pure gain. Just like tainted mods. Let these perks come with drawbacks. Warm coat. Pump it up to like 50% ice level resistance, but oh no, +30% damage from ground fire on fire levels.  bump Intruder (specially if they ever use much larger puzzles) +10 seconds to hacking, but oh no, takes 6 seconds longer to do captures (Makes room for a new perk Strong Arm- less time to capture but less time to hack). Pervoked up to 150% damage while downed, but oh no, -10 seconds to incapacitation time.

There could be three perk slots: Systems, Helmet, Chassis.

Edited by Firetempest

There are no obligatory mods.

I haven't used Vitality or Flow in ages! Not even on squishies like Loki or Nova. Streamline on an Energy Syphon Frame = don't need Flow. It's a waste, unless you are planning a super spammy loadout, wich you can totally do if you like, but most definetely do not need on several frames. Just an example.

Vitality on Rhino, Frost, Trinity, Ash or Loki: Why? Enemy will not get through the Shields, ever. Unless you are doing something...poorly.

Stop being dependant on mods. It makes you lazy, and uncreative. You don't need maxed Redirection + Vitality to survive. Hell, some frames don't need both those mods at the same time AT ALL. Ever. Work the environment, learn to move, learn to block, be smart about your powers.

You most definetely do not need Flow + Streamline + Energy Syphon on several Frames. Start paying attention to how much time you spend with your enormous energy reserve maxed. That time? Complete waste. That time means you do not need all that energy. So work something different.

Start by trying to ditch one of these "obligatory" mods for something else. An utility mod. Anything. And adapt your gameplay from there. See how it goes. There are some fun and efficient combinations to do. Try it.

There are no obligatory mods.

I haven't used Vitality or Flow in ages! Not even on squishies like Loki or Nova. Streamline on an Energy Syphon Frame = don't need Flow. It's a waste, unless you are planning a super spammy loadout, wich you can totally do if you like, but most definetely do not need on several frames. Just an example.

Vitality on Rhino, Frost, Trinity, Ash or Loki: Why? Enemy will not get through the Shields, ever. Unless you are doing something...poorly.

Stop being dependant on mods. It makes you lazy, and uncreative. You don't need maxed Redirection + Vitality to survive. Hell, some frames don't need both those mods at the same time AT ALL. Ever. Work the environment, learn to move, learn to block, be smart about your powers.

You most definetely do not need Flow + Streamline + Energy Syphon on several Frames. Start paying attention to how much time you spend with your enormous energy reserve maxed. That time? Complete waste. That time means you do not need all that energy. So work something different.

Start by trying to ditch one of these "obligatory" mods for something else. An utility mod. Anything. And adapt your gameplay from there. See how it goes. There are some fun and efficient combinations to do. Try it.

if DE gave us a way to actually evade bullets (which is right now impossible because enemies have hit-scan weapons) then i would do so (unless you are very slowly shoot enemies from cover, which i personally find boring and if i wanted i would play mass effect 3 MP). and i would too use those utility mods, but just pumping health, shield and energy mods is easier, and not equipping powerfull mods to make the game harder for myself with no extra reward seems like non-sense

If you don't use vitality how do you avoid being killed instantly by poison? Also, if your shields go down how do you expect my Trinity to heal you before you run out of health?

I have a simple and highly elegant strategy for avoiding being killed instantly by poison. I stay away from clouds of poison! Doesn't work so well when a toxic ancient sneaks up behind me, but that rarely happens, especially since 3/4s of the game's factions don't use poison. I typically only use Vitality in nightmare mode setups.

Powers should have their own slots in the WF section, and the other four slots should be open.

But it's probably not going to happen.

I agree with this. Powers are what really make each frame unique. Letting players take all of a class' powers without sacrificing "essentials" is the best way to make each class shine in my opinion.

these are the "obligatory" mods:

redirection

vitality

flow

all the warframe skills

a mod which affects skills or in some cases 2 (duration, power and range mods)

if you are a caster warframe definetely streamline.

that leaves from 0 to 2 mod slots free for making your loadout.

im pretty sure DE, and most, if not all players, would like to make their unique warframe builds, but the lack of mod slots really takes away the abiltity to make them, plus it makes most utility mods, like enemy radar, rush, heavy impact and all the other mods to never be used. as an example if i wish to take away a mod which costs a lot of energy to take 2 mosd which cost less, i can´t do it because of the mod slots.

we are already limited by energy capacity, which is completely fine, but i think we should have more mod slots.

i guess 2 or 4 more would be fine to make use of all the maximum energy capacity of a warframe.

any feedback would be appreciated.

I disagree with your choice in mods.

I usually equip 2-3 ability slots for a warframe. i don't run vitality at all, although redirection is necessary. 

for example, this is my loadout for frost.

I tried to upload a picture, but my internet is so terrible that I can't do that.

I have frost prime. Polarized 3 times.  The first added an I polarity. The second changed an ability polarity to another I polarity, and the final changed the aura polarity to an I polarity. Now that frost prime is level 30 again (the 6th time i got a frost frame to 30) my loadout is

Level 3 Ice wave. Level 3 Avalanche. Level 3 Snow Globe. Level 5 Focus. Level 5 Continuity. Level 5 Flow. Level 5 stretch, Level 3 constitution, level 5 Streamline, level 6 redirection. Aura is energy siphon on level 5.

I removed an ability polarity to make room for something better than freeze. Vitality is essentially useless.

I'm struggling to find the logic in the complaint being not any unique builds, so increase the number of mod slots... that seems opposite.

Still, really can't think of any mod that I think is obligatory on a frame beyond usually 2 of the 4 ability mods.  Most of the time focus I would put above vitality and redirection.  Vitality does find its way in most of my builds on most of my frames, but there are always exceptions.

Unique builds comes from making different mods as useable or at least big benefits from them to drop what you would consider obligatory mods.  The new corrupted are actually a step in that direction, though some mods become sorta ideal for some frames so it is hard to say it is really helping in build diversity.

Long and the short of it.  If it isn't ideal its bad.  Just can't get away from min/max mentality very hard to get a balance on this type of thing.