Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Is A "warframe", How A Tenno Gets Inside The Suit, And How They Capture Corpus Targets.

.solitus

First of all, are the Tenno infected with the same technocyte virus that created the infested?

My theory is that they modified the strain of the Technocyte virus and inject the modified strain to themselves, but those who are infected by the "natural" strain of Technocyte become the infested. Or the Tenno has modified DNA. I don't know much actually,

Second, how do they wear their frame? I have a crazy thought that they have some kind of "infector" and "neutralizer" so when we built a frame BP, we are not building a robot, but simply a substance. When we drink / eat / suck / inject the substance, our body grows some mechanical organs and our body become the Warframe. When we want to change, drink the neutralizer and we become Tenno again, in their humanoid body with no warframe ability.

Look at Nekros, his arms and legs have some kind of holes and he is very thin - it is impossible for a human to get inside that frame if each frame is a mechanical suit like the Iron Man. Not to mention frost with the flat squall head.

Finally here is the thing that bugs me : how on earth do they absorb the capture target inside their body? What is that red light shining by the player who captured the capture target? What does that thing actually do? Is that magic? How the **** that a physical body of the capture target simply turn into particles, absorbed inside a Warframe, then INTERROGATED by the Lotus later.

Edit : if you say Warframe IS the Tenno themselves, (which I partly agree), explain how does Mag see.

Edited by XTenno

IMO Warframe's are biomechanical frames that get connected to and controlled by Tenno.  Captured people get converted to data.

So the Tenno is not actually in the Warframe.  I'm not sure how this jives with Survival, but then how does needing oxygen work when you attach your warframe to the bottom of a spaceship and fly away, with no oxygen?

Plot holes with plot holes.  We know Hayden Tenno was the original Tenno, who was infected by the Technocyte virus and slowly converted into something like the Excaliber Warframe.  I would assume his body became an Excal and his conciousness disappeared.  I know the Devs like the idea of the warframes being individuals, but that doesn't make sense with us using multiple of the same frame in a mission or being able to switch warframes, which are gendered, on a whim.  Only if the warframe and the tenno are separate things does it make sense.

My probably most logical explanations

1.The Tenno DO NOT HAVE A PHYSICAL FORM.They might just be some dust or fart cloud floating around their dojo

2.Each player has several Tenno at their disposal.For example a skinny guy,a skinny chick or a buffed guy for Rhino and Frost warframes.

/speculate

As for the Corpus guy getting transformed into a huge pile of techy bits,I think that his DNA and memory and all of that gets converted into data that is stored somewhere in the neural part of the warframe.

Edited by SniffYoBunnies

My guesses are either that frames aren't suits... they're the actual person or that they are inanimate bodies controlled in a way or another remotely. The Tenno ARE the Warframes through mutations that leads them to change shape or they are operators that move those Warframes around. Sure, then you have the problem of how they can change helmets and such which would be akin to remove the head entirely and put another one in place if they actually physically were the Warframe.

And I think it's pretty much a given that each Warframe is a different 'character' and not just another suit. The only way I could see any of it making any sense is that by themselves, the Warframes are inanimate bodies inhabited by the Tenno (the player) when going into a mission. Either as a spirit, mind transfer or some kind of remote control. It's really unclear 'how' it works but when you consider any player can be any frame, regardless of gender and build (and especially a very impossibly thin one like Nekros), it's hard to believe one person could simply "swap" Warframe as desired.

Besides, when you look into the pods that you protect in Defense, you don't see an exotic warframe like Ember or Nekros; you see some pale-faced guy in a suit, with a normal, human physique.

And if we go with the theory that Warframes are inanimate bodies, then having blueprints to 'make' them makes a little more sense than say, building someone entirely from scrap, consciousness included. The "Systems" could merely be what enables the Tenno to interface with to control the Warframe into combat.

Who knows... perhaps we truly are seeing from the perspective of the game (over the shoulder in third person) and not from the eyes of the Warframe (which, you gotta wonder, if they have eyes at all). Would explain why a Tenno can walk in one direction and be completely aware of his surroundings, despite heavy training.

And really, it's possible what the Tenno train for is "Affinity" with said frame to move it around properly and with full understanding of the body. Kind of like us, as players, learn to cope with each Warframes' differences and to master their powers to their full extent.

Of course, all of this is speculation.

Edited by Wiegraf

To answer your first question:

If you have played the original Dark Sector game (of which this one is a spiritual successor to) the technocyte plague happens on Earth. If you're infected you go crazy due to constant pain and slowly turn into infested like creatures. Hayden Tenno (The main character) is immune to the constant and endless pain. He learns to control the technocyte virus and uses the advantages it grants him: the extra strong skin, the healing factor, the super human abilities...

I think that the Tenno of this game are similar in that they are immune to some of the symptoms of the technocyte virus and are able to take advantage of its benefits, and then modify it to further improve it.

As for the suits:

They aren't armor. They are the skin of the warframe. When Hayden Tenno was infected he formed an organic metal sheath around his arm that protected him from damage somewhat. At the end of the game he actually is wearing a 'suit' that is designed similarly to Excalibur. So its less of a suit and more of just a skin they wear, meaning that they probably cant change it much, aside from the helmet.

As for the capture:

I personally like to think of it like a primitive teleporter. Its apparently insanely painful which is why it is only used in capture.

IMO Warframe's are biomechanical frames that get connected to and controlled by Tenno.  Captured people get converted to data.

So the Tenno is not actually in the Warframe.  I'm not sure how this jives with Survival, but then how does needing oxygen work when you attach your warframe to the bottom of a spaceship and fly away, with no oxygen?

Plot holes with plot holes.  We know Hayden Tenno was the original Tenno, who was infected by the Technocyte virus and slowly converted into something like the Excaliber Warframe.  I would assume his body became an Excal and his conciousness disappeared.  I know the Devs like the idea of the warframes being individuals, but that doesn't make sense with us using multiple of the same frame in a mission or being able to switch warframes, which are gendered, on a whim.  Only if the warframe and the tenno are separate things does it make sense.

I'd like you to elaborate "biomechanical"

To answer your first question:If you have played the original Dark Sector game (of which this one is a spiritual successor to) the technocyte plague happens on Earth. If you're infected you go crazy due to constant pain and slowly turn into infested like creatures. Hayden Tenno (The main character) is immune to the constant and endless pain. He learns to control the technocyte virus and uses the advantages it grants him: the extra strong skin, the healing factor, the super human abilities...I think that the Tenno of this game are similar in that they are immune to some of the symptoms of the technocyte virus and are able to take advantage of its benefits, and then modify it to further improve it.As for the suits:They aren't armor. They are the skin of the warframe. When Hayden Tenno was infected he formed an organic metal sheath around his arm that protected him from damage somewhat. At the end of the game he actually is wearing a 'suit' that is designed similarly to Excalibur. So its less of a suit and more of just a skin they wear, meaning that they probably cant change it much, aside from the helmet.As for the capture:I personally like to think of it like a primitive teleporter. Its apparently insanely painful which is why it is only used in capture.

So how about my idea if a "infector" and "neutralizer"? Does that make any sense now that each teno has more than 1 suits to wear? Maybe at the time of Hayden, he only could transform to excalibur, but now, possibly more advanced since Hayden's age, we have the technology "infector" and "neutralizer" to be able to change to different warframe.

One more thing : HOW DOES MAG SEE??

Edited by XTenno

I bet there were many tennos and there were many suits built by orokin with a help of technocyte virus. A warframe like excalibur is just a model of warframe which appears to be the original and the first one.

The player is simply allowed to control several tenno who are stuck in their warframes forever. It makes little sense from player's perspective but at least it makes sense lore wise. Thousands of tenno and several different models of warframes used.

Edited by Aure7

So the Tenno is not actually in the Warframe.

There's nothing that even alludes to this. Warframes are exoskeletons. There's no point in DE calling them that if they're not actually worn by anyone.

but then how does needing oxygen work when you attach your warframe to the bottom of a spaceship and fly away, with no oxygen?

It's not like they just hang there until they get back to where they came from. You ever shoot out a window? Your shields deplete until the lack of oxygen starts damaging your health.

I know the Devs like the idea of the warframes being individuals, but that doesn't make sense with us using multiple of the same frame in a mission or being able to switch warframes, which are gendered, on a whim.  Only if the warframe and the tenno are separate things does it make sense.

Who ever said we're one person switching between multiple Frames? Think of each Warframe as being a model, or being in a certain class, created or molded for specific individuals. Three Cals in a mission? Three individuals under those suits.

@XTenno

The thing is is that we aren't controlling a single tenno. For every warframe we have we are controlling a seperate tenno. Mag is a different tenno and person than Loki is, same for all of the rest. That is how we 'switch'. We aren't changing suits, we are just changing characters.

As for how mag sees:

Technocyte virus.

It gave Hayden extra vision powers...and the J3 Golem sees without eyes. So its probably giving them some extra form of vision, be it heat sonar, what have you.

I'd like you to elaborate "biomechanical"

The warframe is 'grown'. Parts of it are organic and alive, parts of it inorganic.  Standard sci-fi fare.

For example, I imagine much of the armor plating is inorganic but with an organic shell around it.  There's likely a lot of inorganic circuitry in the frame as well, but for the most part it moves too fluidly to be entirely mechanical.

In my head, the original frames were created via infecting subjects with the technocyte virus, controlling the infection, and making a warframe that was genetically reproducable that allowed a remote operator of some sort (i.e. specially trained Orokin) to control it and use it.  Those special Orokin would be Tenno, named so after the original controller of a warfame who also eventually became a warframe himself.  I am just making this up on the fly.  There are too many peices between what the devs have said, the gendered warframes, the way the game plays, the way you extract from most missions, and the survival need for oxygen as life support to make it really make sense.

In fact, Survival just really throws a wrench into everything.  If I'm in some sort of warframe suit, why wouldn't it have it's own life support, particularly if I'm going to leave by connecting to the outside of a space ship and staring into space while it flies away?  There don't appear to be any gas transfer ports.  I could accept power, perhaps, but no hoses or anything, just a what look like they're intended as magnetic couplings (because they sure aren't handles).  And yet, the enemy (yes, even the infested) cut life support because you want to distract them from some other tenno stealing stuff (We're not space ninjas, we're space theives!) and that amounts to needing oxygen?  And the infested carry their own small supply?  How the HELL did they manage that?  And why don't they have it when I blow out windows on a spaceship?  Advanced planning for our surprise theivery I guess.  They can know we're coming to assassinate their leaders and not bother to do any extra prep, but they're constantly wearing O2 tanks in the off chance we start causing a distraction, but not if we're actually going after something like data modules or destroying a reactor...

I understand why it's like that for gameplay reasons, and frankly I really like the Survival missions (I miss RAID.  Why didn't you drop rescue?  Everyone hates those), but plot wise, it doesn't work.

And neither does the idea that the warframes are suits the tenno get into.  How do I, as a tenno, get taller or shorter for my warframe?  How do I get smaller to fit into Nekros?  Where does my giant phallus fit that I need a huge codpeice for on Rhino when I go out as Nova or Ember?  Do I just tuck it inside like an inny belly button?  Do I have to go through sex change surgery?  Or am I sexless and the warframe has a gender because of a need to taunt my non-reproductive nature?  Were the Orokin just gigantic trolls?

So many unanswered questions.  Why do captured people we're rescuing have a gun but no ammo?  Is this the way their captors taunted them, or did we just somehow give them the gun but forget the bullets?  Why do we have ammo but the sentinels have infinite shots? (yes, I know they have limited magazines)

There's just all sorts of stuff that works for gameplay but doesn't work for lore.  Making that all come together without changing it takes some creativity, and I don't see how the warframes can be individuals and still have 3 Rhino's and a Nova, all with male Tenno.

Yeeahh.. i'll go with that one...

Plus, Dark Sector isn't an accurate source for lore, since it has more or less been "disowned" by the people here that are doing Warframe.

Dark Sector and everything that it is, is just a butchered mess of what DE originally wanted to create. It's still fairly recent (about a month ago) that they decided it was canon.

Dark Sector and everything that it is, is just a butchered mess of what DE originally wanted to create. It's still fairly recent (about a month ago) that they decided it was canon.

They did? Where's that?

Dark Sector's story is.... i'd like to ignore it.

There's nothing that even alludes to this. Warframes are exoskeletons. There's no point in DE calling them that if they're not actually worn by anyone.

It's not like they just hang there until they get back to where they came from. You ever shoot out a window? Your shields deplete until the lack of oxygen starts damaging your health.

Who ever said we're one person switching between multiple Frames? Think of each Warframe as being a model, or being in a certain class, created or molded for specific individuals. Three Cals in a mission? Three individuals under those suits.

Where does it say they're exoskeletons?

What makes you think your shields can't hold out a few minutes in a room on a spaceship open to vacuum but can for a long-distance trip attached to the bottom of a spaceship?

If we're just taking over characters, who is Lotus talking to?  If us, then why call us Tenno?  If the warframe, then why call it Tenno rather than the particular warframe?  If the Tenno are just climbing into a suit, how do they distort their bodies so that they can wear male/female suits, and why even have gendered suits?  Hasn't it been proven that special armor for women vs men was unnecessary?  So why does the Ember frame need breasts or Rhino a giant codpeice if it's just an armored suit for a genderless cryopod guy who doesn't even represent the player?

Yeeahh.. i'll go with that one...

Plus, Dark Sector isn't an accurate source for lore, since it has more or less been "disowned" by the people here that are doing Warframe.

Pretty sure they directly said in a livestream that Dark Sector was part of this universe and that Hayden Tenno, the main character from it, was the first Tenno/warfame.

They did? Where's that?

Dark Sector's story is.... i'd like to ignore it.

It was in a live stream, I know that, but I can't remember exactly which one it was. It's been a while since I've watched any and I have trouble keeping track. Most likely the one where they talked about Hayden being the OG.

from WARFRAME's lore and not dark sector's one,it says that vor captured a Tenno and when he opened the warframe,there was nothing inside,so supposedly we players are the Tenno and the warframes are just suits we wear to be OP with powers and destroy everything...(what i got from reading lore :O)

Where does it say they're exoskeletons?

What makes you think your shields can't hold out a few minutes in a room on a spaceship open to vacuum but can for a long-distance trip attached to the bottom of a spaceship?

If we're just taking over characters, who is Lotus talking to?  If us, then why call us Tenno?  If the warframe, then why call it Tenno rather than the particular warframe?  If the Tenno are just climbing into a suit, how do they distort their bodies so that they can wear male/female suits, and why even have gendered suits?  Hasn't it been proven that special armor for women vs men was unnecessary?  So why does the Ember frame need breasts or Rhino a giant codpeice if it's just an armored suit for a genderless cryopod guy who doesn't even represent the player?

What the poop? Did you even read my post?

1. https://warframe.com/game/warframes And every time DE has called them exoskeletons and suits.

2. "It's not like they just hang there (on the outside of their ship) until they get back to where they came from."

3. She calls us Tenno... because we're Tenno.

4. Again. One Tenno isn't climbing into multiple different suits.

5. Naked Nick is a placeholder.