Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The spawn rate in the Cambion Drift makes it a barren wasteland, not an infested landscape.

Alpheus

It's been about two weeks now so plenty of time to get a good feel for the landscape relative to the Plains and Orb Vallis, and it's become undeniable that roaming the Cambion Drift (in and out of Steel Path) is a tragically lonely experience. Here are a few of the woes:

• You can go minutes at a time without seeing an enemy in free roam.
  • Bounties that require you to kill a little over a dozen enemies take obnoxiously long, worse if it's the AOE trap. The same goes for sample gathering.
  • Obelisk events spawn one wave of about 10 or so enemies on arrival, and then for the remaining time it just makes pulsing noises before collapsing.
  • The balloon/air support pods seem to only exist while bounties are active.
  • Even in a full squad, the number of infested that appear on the field at once is non-threatening across all levels, except for the vault bounties.

Let's compare Cambion Drift free roam to the others. In the Plains, Grineer patrol their multiple camps scattered about while numerous squads roam the empty space between. Every so often one of the two dropships will make an appearance and reinforce the units, with the larger dropship providing an air assault if you're spotted. The Grineer are very present and numerous regardless of where you are, but less active at night for obvious reasons.

Free roam in Orb Vallis is nearly identical. Corpus in their bases, Corpus roaming the roads, dropships delivering units, wheels that will drop off units, and a tiered bounty system that increases the intensity of a fight the longer you let it tick.

Right now in the Cambion Drift, if you're not in the middle of doing a bounty, pretty much nothing happens anywhere. There aren't isolated hives of infested, no previously-mentioned balloons visible ever, nothing that makes it feel like it's a truly infested landscape the way Eris or Derelict tiles make you feel like you're in an infested ship. You may see a stray ally mech fighting a Jugulus but even that's a scarce encounter. As it is, there's virtually no idle fun to be had. In the Plains and Orb Vallis you could wage war on the factions pretty much anytime and anywhere, but when I look down and see this...

Spoiler

iyCJMWR.png

...a large central location in the smallest zone yet without a single infested creature in sight, it kills the replayability of the zone for me as there's nothing to do after I collect all the goods. Even now I still do Plains and Orb Vallis bounties simply because the combat in both those zones is enjoyable, but in its current state there's no way I see myself doing the same thing in the Cambion Drift.

I agree theres too little spawns for some of the bounties considering half the enemies are also ranged or stationary. Even worse for the cauldron one where some players kill the little amount that might get in outside the ring. 

However free roam doesn't need any more enemies until they get rid of hunting/mining/fishing or improve it greatly. Already they are killing your fish and captures. 

I'm getting the opposite, I can't get enemies to leave me alone. I just want to explore a bit, appreciate the sights, mine/tranq as needed...but now, I suddenly have projectiles hitting me from every-which direction from ranges that them snipers and BAM!, I'm suddenly squid-faced.  Now I haven't spent much time underground yet so maybe it's different there.

There are times and possibly areas of the zone that have slightly lower spawns, but usually they are always coming.  In case you didn't know, red worm up is slow spawns or (day) and blue worm up is more spawns (night).  I think I got the order right, it's all a blur from the last week.

Basically the worms don't just affect a few fishing opportunities, they do also change spawn rate and bulk of spawns that occur as well as the active or inactive necromechs in the drift.  I believe they might also affect how often wild creatures spawn as well.

Archived