Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mobility: Revised concept (AKA Parkour 2.5)

Loza03

I recently wrote a feedback thread talking about why I think Warframe's mobility system could use some more work. I'll not spend too long re-iterating the points (if you want context go to that thread here) but the most relevant points are that I'm not sure recent trends in Warframe's environment design and it's core mobility mechanics are fully letting the game capitalise on that 'movement shooter' vibe the tagline 'Ninjas play free' promises. This thread is dedicated to my suggestions on means to rectify the situation, and bring Warframe that much closer to its full potential.

Momentum:

Warframe's movement system has only one truly glaring flaw in my opinion - several of the core maneuvers have set momentum, in particular wall-hopping and Bullet Jumping. Whilst this has some benefits, it means that one of the most satisfying parts of a good movement system is lost. Building up a ton of speed and flinging yourself across the room. It's easy enough to say 'just remove it', but how do I think that should look and feel in practice?

I feel like Bullet Jump should have two changes made. The first is that it now adds to your momentum no matter how fast you're going (to a reasonable degree, of course) rather than having a set speed it sends you in, and to reduce the 'base' momentum to compensate so finer movement is still possible, allowing a skilled player to chain multiple bullet jumps together to move much faster. This could be further benefited by changing the Wall-hopping back to a Wall-run, but in the more Titanfall 2 style (or even Sonic: Lost World, for as underutilised as it was in that game) so that it too maintained player momentum, at least for a while, so that players could collide with a wall and bounce off faster than they started, allowing for room traversal to be more fluid than at present. This'd raise the skill ceiling for parkour too - this is good because it's longevity without content. There's something more abstract to chase for more dedicated players.

In practice this would/should be a nerf to the current meta in terms of linear movement for the average frame, the Roll-Bullet Jump-slide combo, since it'd take several jumps to get up to speed and without multiple things to bounce off in quick succession, that'd take a relatively long time. I'm not opposed to this movement style in theory, but it's currently too prevalent as the overall fastest way to cover ground, whilst I think it should be reserved for when the other options are simply not available. The meta for flat ground, as it were. Having a more complex environment should be a fun challenge to optimise speed through, not a boring distraction.

Grappling hook

Believe me, there's a reason it's been heavily requested since Deadlock Protocol. One of my problems with Warframe's trend towards larger environments (ostensibly to give more space for our high speed) is that there's fewer obstacles to interact with, and thus less to use parkour on. It's too easy for the game to devolve into just bullet jump spam. Whilst new environments could be made with this balance in mind, it can't retroactively solve the problem. I think a grappling hook can, at least to some degree. If the current system doesn't facilitate the current means we have to interact with the environment, then perhaps a new means to interact with the environment can help. A grappling hook enables the player to interact with the environment in a much wider radius - perfect for Warframe's large environments.

In terms of implementing it, I feel that it'd be best done by using the existing grapple mechanics found in Valkyr's Ripline. Aside from the fact it would likely be easier to implement, it's also simple to understand. The main change I'd make (aside from activation method) is that you can vary the duration of the 'pull', allowing for more fine control, from simply using it as an airbrake, pulling you all the way there, or something in between.

A frequent barrier has been cited as the input method. Personally speaking, I would tie it to a hold on the contextual action button (although it should be a seperate rebind, like Reload is). This could lean into the aforementioned variable pull. I'm aware that people may be concerned that it'd cause problems reloading, and it might do, but I believe the benefits outweigh the negatives. I know that some might question that, since Bullet Jumping would likely still be faster which in theory makes it redundant, but the main benefit I see a grapple having is maneuverability, which improves mobility as a combat tool. Although likely slower for linear movement, it allows the player to remain airborne or in parkour much longer, allowing more of the vertical space to be a viable 'combat zone' as it were. It'd also let the player take more shortcuts and get more angles on enemies. Perhaps even letting players grapple to certain, larger enemies themselves? Even with the benefit of enhanced maneuverability, there would still be value in the grapple's raw speed potential if combined with the momentum changes - for example, pulling yourself diagonally into a wall for more momentum on the subsequent bounce.

(I'm not sure what ability should replace Valkyr's ripline in this case.)

Tl;Dr - momentum and a grappling hook make Loza03 a fast boy.

1 hour ago, Loza03 said:

frequent barrier has been cited as the input method. Personally speaking, I would tie it to a hold on the contextual action button (although it should be a seperate rebind, like Reload is

Frankly I would just add it space bar as hold and action if you can't jump. Hold grappling hook , tap will grappling hook as well if you have no jumps ( junped on the ground and alread spent the air jump )

1 hour ago, keikogi said:

Frankly I would just add it space bar as hold and action if you can't jump. Hold grappling hook , tap will grappling hook as well if you have no jumps ( junped on the ground and alread spent the air jump )

I'm not sure I'd enjoy that, but that's why I'm adamant that it should be a separately rebindable addition.

Although it's important to try get the input right out the gate, it'll always be best to let players have the final decision.

I'm in love with the idea of momentum based movement. It'd be really satisfying to be able to master chaining bullet and wall jumps to quickly and reliably get up to speed. If it factors in dodge rolling, side rolls and backflips it'd be even better because atm I know alot of people who aren't even aware the latter two are a thing. They come in handy when you're flying down a corridor and need to change direction quickly without the use of a wall or the ground.

Grappling, however, I think is kinda lame. I mean, I could just go play Pathfinder Royale for that.

14 minutes ago, (PS4)II2j-ZII said:

I'm in love with the idea of momentum based movement. It'd be really satisfying to be able to master chaining bullet and wall jumps to quickly and reliably get up to speed. If it factors in dodge rolling, side rolls and backflips it'd be even better because atm I know alot of people who aren't even aware the latter two are a thing. They come in handy when you're flying down a corridor and need to change direction quickly without the use of a wall or the ground.

Grappling, however, I think is kinda lame. I mean, I could just go play Pathfinder Royale for that.

The role of grappling would be quite different to Pathfinder's, since the A-to-B is comfortably occupied by the bullet jump. It's more like the existing ripline, slotting more into a role similar to the role of the Meathook in DOOM Eternal except you target walls and ceilings.

I suppose it'd be more accurate to call it a 'hookshot'.

Archived