Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hydroid Rework Idea

TomboyFishing

So I was playing some Hydroid, and I was thinking (yeh I know big brain ouchies ;-;). I love the concept, but the abilities, when compared to most frames, are not very useful or engaging. Hydroid, I believe, is probably the most needed for a rework, or a partial rework (Even the other more unpopular frames are more viable and fun). I'll leave my ideas for new abilities below and explain them a bit.

First of all the passive, I think is sorta fine, but I'll also put a idea for a reworked passive.

Passive:  Slam attacks have a 50% chance of summon a mini whirlpool

• Whirlpool will act as a mini grouping tool with a 3m range

1st Ability: Crest - A portion of damage will splash (you see what I did there) as a radial attack (no self stagger (yay))

• Drain - 25
  • Radius - 4 meters
  • Duration - 15 seconds
  • Damage - 80%(fixed amount) of total damage (on AOE weapons it will act as a separate AOE, but will be fixed to be less than half of the AOE weapons range)

2nd Ability: I actually like Tidal Surge, and I think it should remain the same stat wise. However I think its should be steerable and cancelable, akin to Lavos.

3rd Ability: I think the 3rd ability should be Hydroid's old 4th ability, Tentacle Swarm, but with a removed charge mechanic and have the base number of tentacles set to 7 (increasable by range mods). I think this would fix the only minor issues for this ability and keep the augment relevant.

4th Ability: Riptide - Throw a trident of water that explodes into a burst - This ability will be a Pseudo exalted weapon, akin to Khora's Whiplcaw. Ability is NOT affected by Crest (just so its not OP)

• Drain - 35
  • Range - 5 meters
  • Radius - 2.5 meters
  • Damage - 150 impact/puncture/slash (30% crit chance, 2.4x crit multiplier, 18% status chance)

Now I'm not going to forget about reworking augments too!

Augments:

Corroding Barrage [Tempest Barrage] ---> Acidic Splash [Crest] - 50% chance to inflict Corrosive status effect (effected by strength but capped at 150% chance)

Curative Undertow [Undertow] ---> Leeching Throw [Riptide] - 15% of damage is converted into healing overtime (applies to Allies)

I thank you for your time, and I much appreciate any feedback! Let me know if there any other frame reworks you want me to come up with!

Definitely enjoy this idea. I think perhaps Tidal Surge could be fused with Undertow, turning Hydroid into a mass of invulnerable water that can envelop and drown enemies, dragging them with him for the duration of the ability. Or, you could work it to be a Tap and Hold ability, where tapping the ability sends the Tidal Surge away from Hydroid as a separate entity, while holding it allows him to travel with it. Tidal Surge has a lot more potential as an ability other than a budget Rolling Guard, and I think it deserves more love than just being steerable.

Just offering my own ideas, that's all lol.

Passive sounds meh, common grouping ability

1st ability sounds like it would be a really cool affect to see happening as you attack enemies, giving you this sense of crashing into them. Really simple, really fun

2nd ability okay. I think it should be combined with undertow, the slower you move the more you look like normal undertow, the faster the more you turn into a wave. I think it would be so cool if this new combo was a grouping ability, but you are the thing thats grouping enemies up by running into them as a giant wave. Its sort of like how you can carry enemies with grendal, except you eat the enemies by touch

3rd ability sounds good

On 2021-04-28 at 10:38 PM, TomboyFishing said:

4th Ability: Riptide - Throw a trident of water that explodes into a burst - This ability will be a Pseudo exalted weapon, akin to Khora's Whiplcaw. Ability is NOT affected by Crest (just so its not OP)

• Drain - 35
  • Range - 5 meters
  • Radius - 2.5 meters
  • Damage - 150 impact/puncture/slash (30% crit chance, 2.4x crit multiplier, 18% status chance)

Did you mean 1,500 damage? And if so, letting it be effected by crest def wouldnt be too op. About the same as Frost's 4th damage but with less range

I rate the rework 8/10. I primarily feel the passive and 4th should be a little more unique, everything else seems cool

9 hours ago, NebulousOW said:

Definitely enjoy this idea. I think perhaps Tidal Surge could be fused with Undertow, turning Hydroid into a mass of invulnerable water that can envelop and drown enemies, dragging them with him for the duration of the ability. Or, you could work it to be a Tap and Hold ability, where tapping the ability sends the Tidal Surge away from Hydroid as a separate entity, while holding it allows him to travel with it. Tidal Surge has a lot more potential as an ability other than a budget Rolling Guard, and I think it deserves more love than just being steerable.

Just offering my own ideas, that's all lol.

Lol i literally just suggested the same thing, love this idea

On 2021-05-01 at 1:00 AM, (PSN)Frost_Nephilim said:

Did you mean 1,500 damage? And if so, letting it be effected by crest def wouldnt be too op. About the same as Frost's 4th damage but with less range

I rate the rework 8/10. I primarily feel the passive and 4th should be a little more unique, everything else seems cool

Nah the damage is correct, its like how Khora's whipclaw does 250 base damage. It would be affected by melee mods. But thanks for the feedback :)

3 hours ago, TomboyFishing said:

Nah the damage is correct, its like how Khora's whipclaw does 250 base damage. It would be affected by melee mods. But thanks for the feedback :)

I see

Id still try to add something so that it looks less like a recycled idea. Theres many ideas you can try out. I rate it 8.5/10 now

Archived