Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Here the solution to the problem that face people when they want to move the game folder from Drive to Drive or from HDD to SSD

Hello there buddy, I know why you are here.

You either was stuck trying to empty one of your drivers and wanted to move the Warframe folder, or like me you had a brand new SSD and wanted to move warframe folder from HDD to SSD.

Or just in case you lost or game got corrected so you used the backup folder you made.

This steps will work 100% on non steam Warframe, Enjoy :

• First step Make sure you have that backup version of your warframe folder in the  driver you wanted the game to be on, example :
    I want to copy my game from Driver F to G , I copy Downloaded folder from F of the game and paste it into G.
  • Second step : Open Register by clicking search in the window menu, Search for : Registry Editor and open it.
    Screenshot-1.png
  • Go and located the register of warframe by going \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Digital Extremes\Warframe\Launcher
    Untitled.png
  • Once you open that location, Go for DownloadDir and right click on it, Open Modify and then change the Value data: to the location of your warframe folder, in my case G:\\Downloaded from D:\\Downloaded 
    Screenshot-2.png
  • Open your launcher and enjoy your new warframe from the SSD or the driver you wanted to launch the game from.

Hope that helped someone out there who was lost like me and didn't find solution 

19 minutes ago, ValiantKillerPrime said:

Hello there buddy, I know why you are here.

You either was stuck trying to empty one of your drivers and wanted to move the Warframe folder, or like me you had a brand new SDD and wanted to move warframe folder from HDD to SDD.

Or just in case you lost or game got corrected so you used the backup folder you made.

This steps will work 100% on non steam Warframe, Enjoy :

• First step Make sure you have that backup version of your warframe folder in the  driver you wanted the game to be on, example :
    I want to copy my game from Driver F to G , I copy Downloaded folder from F of the game and paste it into G.
  • Second step : Open Register by clicking search in the window menu, Search for : Registry Editor and open it.
  • Go and located the register of warframe by going \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Digital Extremes\Warframe\Launcher
  • Once you open that location, Go for DownloadDir and right click on it, Open Modify and then change the Value data: to the location of your warframe folder, in my case G:\\Downloaded from D:\\Downloaded 
  • Open your launcher and enjoy your new warframe from the SSD or the driver you wanted to launch the game from.

Hope that helped someone out there who was lost like me and didn't find solution 

Now go search where are your settings and favorite colors stored

Alternatively: 

1. Enable Dev Mode for your windows install, and then create a symbolic link
    or:
  2. Install this (i've used this for years personally), extensive documentation is also provided for all the other myriad things that you can do with the file system.

For both it's as simple as right clicking and cutting your Warframe install directory, to wherever it is you want it to reside (you can also do the copy thing).

1. For step 1, you need to use the console to create the link (i doubt most who see this will be comfortable so i'll skip that entirely).
  2. For step 2 once installed, you simply right click the directory/folder in its new location (after you've moved it). Select the 'pick link source', then right click in the original install location and select 'drop as... symbolic link'.

picklinksource.png

drophardlinkfolder.png

Personally recommend 2.

You can also then use this for whatever else you want to move from your HDD to SSD (don't get silly tho coz you will break things if you do, just keep to moving folders and you'll steer far clear of any issue).

Also note: The Windows OS uses's this a bunch since it's a normal part of the filesystem. Program listed simply exposes some of the functionality to the user in a easy to use form.

I've used this in the past for my plex DB which was installed on a HDD. Moved the dir to a add-in nvme drive and never had any issues with it... ever.

This avoids having to edit the registry entirely. As far as your Steam, and your windows install in concerned, your warframe folder is still installed in it's original location.

EDIT:

As an example, it's this easy:

2nd EDIT:

IIRC, i think i might have actually used this way back in the early days of warframe when they installed to your AppData folder or something... I may be remembering it wrong but the default install location was odd (maybe the standalone installer still does it?).

Archived