Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Extrinsic Mission 'Paths'

NeroAugustine

I enjoy missions like Spy and Mobile Defense a lot.
I feel as though the extrinsic value of these mission types just don't add up to anything.

Both type have to do with data gathering, which seems like it'd be really cool and important, but for the player tends to amount to nothing.

I would be interested in knowing how hard it would be to allow a game to generate special missions for a player, that are unlocked on the star chart by completing another mission?

I'd imagine it as follows:
-You complete a spy mission on Mars.
-A new unique mission type opens up on Ceres or Saturn (somewhere Grineer for thematic purposes)
     "Tenno, the data you collected includes the location of a large Grineer weapons cache. If you can infiltrate and dismantle it, you may be able to find rare resources."
-Completing this mission adds level difficulty and gives you a better loot table. Maybe even a special item that you are informed of before choosing the mission.
-Depending on the mission type, this 'path' has a chance to trigger another unique mission.
-These special missions remain on the star chart until either completed or until the player logs off.

The more mission types that could be worked into an extrinsic path like this, the more variety would be available, and in the end, it could spice up the daily grind for those interested, and promote mission variety over repetition.

And I do recognize this is a bit like the sortie, but it would be unique from player to player, and it's mission quantity could vary every day, based on generation, and however long the player commits to it.

I do hope and have reason to think that this kind of mission upon mission is actually coming to warframe eventually one way or the other.

I think the first chance to see this will be in railjack missions since DE seems to be aiming to make each loading screen somewhat interactive. In some sense railjack already has these mini-mission on some nodes (disable pulse turbine etc.). I would really love a Railjack version of archwing interception or pursuit to have a follow trough mission.

I do not think it resembling a sortie in someway is a bad thing, i remember being pretty hyped about them when they released and the only reason I no longer do them regularly is that I do not need much credits/endo anymore.

To add to your idea, what if you got to pick the next mission type, lets say you did a spy, you hacked 3 consoles. Perhaps you can pick a path to continue, one being a sabotage and the other being an interception for example. These could even be on different planets and help making the path less repetitive and feel more like you have a choice of sorts.

Archived