Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

More Sniper Ammo Drops

Nightchills

I Have played quite a bit and nothing is more frustrating than constanly running out of sniper ammo when there is more shotgun ammo layin around than u could shake a stick at. I went in to Fosa to fight the jackle to far some mats and noticed not ONE box of sniper ammo drops durning the fight plenty of riffle, pistol, and shotgun though.

I think the ammo drops need to be tweeked just a bit threw out.

I've got a sniper box ammo from a login reward or two and have yet to need to use it. Spread those kills out between your secondary and melee if you're still having trouble, try only for headshots to conserve ammo and for extra damage (obviously)

I wish the devs would just make all ammo universal so it's less a pain in the &#!.

I prefer they be specific as long as they add more weapons, which im sure they will. Right now universal sounds good because of how little shotguns and snipers there are, but between the two choices with a fleshed out weapons selection I prefer categorized ammo over universal. Would also be cool if Grineer dropped ammo of the gun they have equipped, with adjusted locker and crate drop rates in Grineer levels if necessary.

Well to explain my reasons, I'm just lazy and a huge cheapo. I also don't like to switch guns as I like using the same gun throughout the level. I know money isn't hard to obtain but I still dread even using an ammo box unless I'm fighting a boss.

Tell me, why is specific ammo such a good thing? I don't understand what kind of benefits it brings to the game in the first place.

Edited by Liacu

Well to explain my reasons, I'm just lazy and a huge cheapo. I also don't like to switch guns as I like using the same gun throughout the level. I know money isn't hard to obtain but I still dread even using an ammo box unless I'm fighting a boss.

Tell me, why is specific ammo such a good thing? I don't understand what kind of benefits it brings to the game in the first place.

To reward accuracy, efficiency, and not being dramatically lazy.

It this your first time playing a shooter?

The concept of each gun having their own ammo is as old as the first shooters ever and still continues.

To reward accuracy, efficiency, and not being dramatically lazy.

But that's circumvented by the ammo box system. You could very easily just spam lazily into enemies and have enough ammo just from your 6-8 ammo boxes. Plus you could have the game just drop less ammo but have it all be universal for nearly the same effect.

I'm willing to grind for materials, fight long and difficult boss battles and break open boxes for treasure. What I do not want is to run around looking for tiny boxes that don't create any blips on my map and start playing pick up 20. I also have a problem with the game allowing physics to affect items, regardless of how amusing it can be.

It this your first time playing a shooter?

The concept of each gun having their own ammo is as old as the first shooters ever and still continues.

So? Why is that important? Mass effect had universal ammo (heck the first didn't even have ammo). It did perfectly fine. In fact I still ran out of ammo a lot for certain weapons. It's just when I see the crap loads of shotgun, sniper and pistol ammo everywhere, it just feels like a waste.

You're only allowed 2 kinds of gun types and all ammo is now shared so what is the point in having all the other ammos just fill up the floor? If you swapped all ammo with universal ammo and proceeded to tweak the numbers so you would get the exact same ammo as before, there would be more benefits than disadvantages.

FYI shooters are generally not the main genre I play but I do play them from time to time.

Edited by Liacu

But that's circumvented by the ammo box system. You could very easily just spam lazily into enemies and have enough ammo just from your 6-8 ammo boxes. Plus you could have the game just drop less ammo but have it all be universal for nearly the same effect.

I'm willing to grind for materials, fight long and difficult boss battles and break open boxes for treasure. What I do not want is to run around looking for tiny boxes that don't create any blips on my map and start playing pick up 20. I also have a problem with the game allowing physics to affect items, regardless of how amusing it can be.

So buy ammo boxes, then. You are given the option to totally ignore every ammo drop in the game.... so why would you worry about them?

Ammo in shooters is there for balance. There are games with guns where ammo isnt a mechanic but in those games the main goal isnt the shooting. Im guessing that this is the reason why the RPG Mass Effect is one of those.

I don't recall running out of sniper ammo when I leveled my snipetron to 30 unless I was doing a boss during the leveling process like Vey Hek. Never used a single ammo box either and ammo drops weren't even shared back then and we didn't have these nice color coded ammo drops either.

I've had people in games using snipetrons that I hear from sound effects to be literally spamming shots as fast as the rate of fire and reloads will let them yet enemies aren't dropping. Game finishes and they have little to no headshots on the score card. Honestly with a weapon like that you always take time to aim for the head or weak point. It's a long range risk/reward weapon. If you aren't hitting a weak point it's the same as missing given the limited ammo you can carry.

So buy ammo boxes, then. You are given the option to totally ignore every ammo drop in the game.... so why would you worry about them?

Ammo in shooters is there for balance. There are games with guns where ammo isnt a mechanic but in those games the main goal isnt the shooting. Im guessing that this is the reason why the RPG Mass Effect is one of those.

I already explained why I don't like to use ammo boxes. I'm a cheapo and I dread using them outside of bosses. Not to mention it kinds of ruins the flow because I have to stand still, move my cursor over it and click. Having it hotkeyed would be appreciated but really this problem could've been side stepped quite easily with just universal ammo.

My main issue that I actually wanted to discuss was universal ammo vs different kinds of ammo. I don't understand why it's there and what benefits it gives. The negatives? Making me play pick up 20. Kind of annoying to do and I'd rather not use ammo boxes until it's really necessary.

Edited by Liacu

I already explained why I don't like to use ammo boxes. I'm a cheapo and I dread using them outside of bosses. Not to mention it kinds of ruins the flow because I have to stand still, move my cursor over it and click. Having it hotkeyed would be appreciated but really this problem could've been side stepped quite easily with just universal ammo.

My main issue that I actually wanted to discuss was universal ammo vs different kinds of ammo. I don't understand why it's there and what benefits it gives. The negatives? Making me play pick up 20. Kind of annoying to do and I'd rather not use ammo boxes until it's really necessary.

Heh, so not only do you not feel like getting ammo box to solve your problem but you are not even willing to spend a second to click and load up your ammo. Sorry, but laziness isnt really an argument for something being changed here.

The ammo drops on the stages are not supposed to be your main source of ammo, that comes from your mod adding max ammo and ammo boxes.

The game makers already made ammo picked universal within a certain range cause of... well i guess it was laziness on the part of others not feeling like picking up ammo boxes too... i really hope they dont bend further on this.

By the way.... isnt it necessary to use ammo boxes when you run out of ammo?

Seriously, for rifles you get 3 for 1k.

Heh, so not only do you not feel like getting ammo box to solve your problem but you are not even willing to spend a second to click and load up your ammo. Sorry, but laziness isnt really an argument for something being changed here.

The ammo drops on the stages are not supposed to be your main source of ammo, that comes from your mod adding max ammo and ammo boxes.

The game makers already made ammo picked universal within a certain range cause of... well i guess it was laziness on the part of others not feeling like picking up ammo boxes too... i really hope they dont bend further on this.

By the way.... isnt it necessary to use ammo boxes when you run out of ammo?

Seriously, for rifles you get 3 for 1k.

Still didn't explain the reason specific ammo even exists in this game. Sure, I know I'm pretty lazy but laziness isn't my argument and the current system isn't exactly singing "well-thoughtout" either. It's a matter of polishing up the game. And why isn't ammo drops the main source of ammunition? Isn't that just your assumption? If I do actually spend the effort to find the ammo (which is a serious pain) I can make it through a level without ammo boxes besides boss fights but like I said that's a given and a definite necessity.

I'm also not going to use Max Ammo mods because that would be incredibly uninteresting compared to say Puncture or Freeze. (Multishot is just plain OP) Clip capacity however has potential since it's quite effective on the Bronco or so I feel. I don't understand the next part regarding "ammo picked universal" (What does that mean?) but I don't see how "bending further" is detrimental to the game.

And to elaborate more on the necessary part, what I mean is during a boss fight you don't usually expect ammo drops to come from the sky (minus one exception) and you're usually firing full-on non-stop. During just normal missions, the game clearly states enemies will drop ammo upon being killed so naturally you'd think you'd fill up as you go through the levels.

To be quite honest I don't usually run out of ammo on normal missions since I usually fight with a combination of powers, guns and melee but I feel like this is an issue that should be addressed as I've noticed this to be quite an annoyance during Defense missions which require a lot of firing. After each wave I'm running around frantically looking for the right colour instead of relaxing for a moment and at the same time there is a giant rainbow on the ground which just looks like a huge mess. You can't honestly expect normal missions to always have so few enemies in comparison to Defenses.

Edited by Liacu

Still didn't explain the reason specific ammo even exists in this game. Sure, I know I'm pretty lazy but laziness isn't my argument and the current system isn't exactly singing "well-thoughtout" either. It's a matter of polishing up the game.

If laziness isnt your argument then you have no argument because, again, shooters had ammo drop from the start and they still do for almost all of them. The few games that dont are games where there are other concept as it's main gameplay.

And why isn't ammo drops the main source of ammunition? Isn't that just your assumption? If I do actually spend the effort to find the ammo (which is a serious pain) I can make it through a level without ammo boxes besides boss fights but like I said that's a given and a definite necessity.

If you are that lazy that you cant buy an ammo box how do you know you can make it through a whole level from ammo drops? I dont belive one word of that. Wouldn't going around picking up everything ruin the "flow of the game"?

I'm also not going to use Max Ammo mods because that would be incredibly uninteresting compared to say Puncture or Freeze. (Multishot is just plain OP) Clip capacity however has potential since it's quite effective on the Bronco or so I feel.

At this point it's clear you are goofing around. You have to be..... no person would actively not do anything to help themselves. The only people i see doing anything close to this are people who want to challenge themselves and it's clear, at least from your posting, that this isnt you.

I don't understand the next part regarding "ammo picked universal" (What does that mean?) but I don't see how "bending further" is detrimental to the game.

If your teammate picks up ammo and you are close you get the ammo as well.

And to elaborate more on the necessary part, what I mean is during a boss fight you don't usually expect ammo drops to come from the sky (minus one exception) and you're usually firing full-on non-stop. During just normal missions, the game clearly states enemies will drop ammo upon being killed so naturally you'd think you'd fill up as you go through the levels.

There are several "bullet sponge" enemies through mission and there are even huge number of normal enemies at times. It's clear that the ammo drops have always meant as nothing more than a backup for an ammo box.

To be quite honest I don't usually run out of ammo on normal missions since I usually fight with a combination of powers, guns and melee but I feel like this is an issue that should be addressed as I've noticed this to be quite an annoyance during Defense missions which require a lot of firing. After each wave I'm running around frantically looking for the right colour instead of relaxing for a moment and at the same time there is a giant rainbow on the ground which just looks like a huge mess. You can't honestly expect normal missions to always have so few enemies in comparison to Defenses.

Mr. Lazyman.... instead of ruining the flow of the game by going around looking for ammo you could just load up an ammo box and not do any of that. You are a weird kind of lazy in that the easiest way is not what you go for, you rather go for the most difficult task.

If laziness isnt your argument then you have no argument because, again, shooters had ammo drop from the start and they still do for almost all of them. The few games that dont are games where there are other concept as it's main gameplay.

You're still side stepping my argument that specific ammo has no place. I've asked for a reason for it existing in this game and you have not provided one. Why? And I've also already asked you why it's relevant that other games drop specific ammo types for different weapons? Other games have certain features and so Warframe should also have those features too?

Just answer this. Does the specific ammo system in this game have any benefit and can it be considered a well-thoughtout system? Give reasons if yes because I have none.

If you are that lazy that you cant buy an ammo box how do you know you can make it through a whole level from ammo drops? I dont belive one word of that. Wouldn't going around picking up everything ruin the "flow of the game"?

It ruins the flow if I have to actively look around. Usually in most cases the bullet drops are already in my path. The reason that I say it ruins the flow because I have to suddenly use a cursor which has no other function than to click an ammo box. I also have to stand perfectly still. If I was grabbing ammo drops it's a matter of moving my character which is a natural part of the gameplay.

Of course I've explained why the ammo drops aren't perfect also because in a defense mission you're forced to run all over the place for the ammo you need instead of being able to grab the 100s of other kinds of ammo that's on the ground. (The rainbow mess =/)

Also believe what you will but if you expect that most of my arguments are going to be lies, this won't make for a very good discussion ._.

At this point it's clear you are goofing around. You have to be..... no person would actively not do anything to help themselves. The only people i see doing anything close to this are people who want to challenge themselves and it's clear, at least from your posting, that this isnt you.

How is it clear that I'm goofing around? I'm just going to make these long, somewhat well written posts to "troll" people? You can't understand there are different kinds of people in this world that might have a problem with different things from you? Please don't be so narrow minded. The things I do is a combination of lazy and cheap tendencies that I have.

I'm lazy in that I don't like doing things in general but I'm also cheap in that I dislike spending in any way. I'm not lazy to the point where I don't actually play the game (why would I be here?), I already have every warframe aside from Ember. I've arbitrarily decided not to get her because I'm sick of rubedo farming for the moment.

If your teammate picks up ammo and you are close you get the ammo as well.

Is that really true? Because I had no idea. I'm going to go confirm this somehow. I've never noticed such a thing in the time I've been playing this.

There are several "bullet sponge" enemies through mission and there are even huge number of normal enemies at times. It's clear that the ammo drops have always meant as nothing more than a backup for an ammo box.

No it's not clear at all. You haven't really given a good reason. I suppose it's a matter of balance because of weak enemies are right now but that's not the case for infected Defenses because Ancients are actually very sturdy and there can be 5-10 per wave which is what I'm basing my experiences on.

Mr. Lazyman.... instead of ruining the flow of the game by going around looking for ammo you could just load up an ammo box and not do any of that. You are a weird kind of lazy in that the easiest way is not what you go for, you rather go for the most difficult task.

I've explained I'm a cheapo and dislike spending. Wait using ammo boxes ruins the flow, not picking up ammo drops. Ammo drops do ruin the flow but only if you're forced to actively look around, especially when you constantly see other kinds of ammo types.

Edited by Liacu

You're still side stepping my argument that specific ammo has no place. I've asked for a reason for it existing in this game and you have not provided one. Why? And I've also already asked you why it's relevant that other games drop specific ammo types for different weapons? Other games have certain features and so Warframe should also have those features too?

Just answer this. Does the specific ammo system in this game have any benefit and can it be considered a well-thoughtout system? Give reasons if yes because I have none.

I said it was an issue of balance a long time ago.

How is it clear that I'm goofing around? I'm just going to make these long, somewhat well written posts to "troll" people? You can't understand there are different kinds of people in this world that might have a problem with different things from you? Please don't be so narrow minded. The things I do is a combination of lazy and cheap tendencies that I have.

I'm lazy in that I don't like doing things in general but I'm also cheap in that I dislike spending in any way. I'm not lazy to the point where I don't actually play the game (why would I be here?), I already have every warframe aside from Ember. I've arbitrarily decided not to get her because I'm sick of rubedo farming for the moment.

You are goofing around because in your posts you show that you are actively creating your own problem.

Essentially, the answer to your "problem" is .... stop hitting yourself.

No it's not clear at all.

Yes it is.

WIth weapons that are not super charged you will have ammo problems.

In missions where it's not a full team you will have ammo problems. Unless you run pass a bunch of enemies, that is.

There are several scenarios where the ammo drops clearly show to not be your main source to replinishing yours.

I've explained I'm a cheapo and dislike spending. Wait using ammo boxes ruins the flow, not picking up ammo drops. Ammo drops do ruin the flow but only if you're forced to actively look around, especially when you constantly see other kinds of ammo types.

Stop hitting yourself.

Edited by Mak_Gohae

I said it was an issue of balance a long time ago.

Still didn't answer anything. What I'm asking is not a matter of balance. If you replaced everything with universal ammo, you could simply tweak the numbers for the same results. So, why is specific ammo even there?

You are goofing around because in your posts you should that you are actively creating your own problem.

Essentially, the answer to your "problem" is .... stop hitting yourself.

No, you're just being narrow minded. This is how I am and this is what bothers me. Yes, it is MY problem and that's why I'm making it an issue. I'm willing to hear reasoning and logic but you haven't really given a good reason for specific kinds of ammo. I've stated that it's a matter of polish.

Yes it is.

WIth weapons that are not super charged you will have ammo problems.

In missions where it's not a full team you will have ammo problems. Unless you run pass a bunch of enemies, that is.

There are several scenarios where the ammo drops clearly show to not be your main source to replinishing yours.

Hmm, I've not really considered non-supercharged weaponry. Okay, tell me, why are ammo boxes supposed to be the main source? Why can't you just pick up enough ammo drops to replenish your supply? Wouldn't the results be the same either way? Why can't you use the more natural method of replenishing ammo, picking up ammo drops from dead enemies?

Stop hitting yourself.

Stop dismissing me. It really does ruin the flow of the game. Most of the time you're dashing from enemy to enemy, room to room. Using ammo boxes is completely different from what you'd normally do.

Look, if you don't want to discuss this topic anymore, simply say so or even don't reply at all. This thread will just stagnant until someone else brings this topic up again.

Still didn't answer anything. What I'm asking is not a matter of balance. If you replaced everything with universal ammo, you could simply tweak the numbers for the same results. So, why is specific ammo even there?

[...]

Okay, tell me, why are ammo boxes supposed to be the main source? Why can't you just pick up enough ammo drops to replenish your supply? Wouldn't the results be the same either way? Why can't you use the more natural method of replenishing ammo, picking up ammo drops from dead enemies?

Specific ammo balances the use of primary, secondary and melee weapons, thereby adding a tactical layer of gameplay. With universial ammo there would be no reason why a player shouldn't continuously spray with the most damaging weapon, instead of resorting to more ammo efficient solutions depending on the enemy or mission. For example, killing every Sawman you come across with a Gorgon is a waste of ammo when you have to face a boss later, and you're much better off using your sidearm or melee weapon to conserve ammo.

If, on the other hand, every ammo drop from Sawman would be compatible with a Gorgon, you'd have no reason to consider using alternate methods, unless you severly limited ammo drops. This would also impact the usability of your sidearm, though, essentially making both your sidearm and ammo drops completely useless. Ironically enough, Ammo Boxes would once again be the propper solution in this scenario.

You cant tweak the number to cover all weapons.

And easy example is the A/Furis and the Lex. The Furis guns eat through ammo and you WILL run out of it and that gun uses the same ammo that the Lex uses that has a low rate of fire and you basically never run out of ammo.

No, you're just being narrow minded. This is how I am and this is what bothers me. Yes, it is MY problem and that's why I'm making it an issue. I'm willing to hear reasoning and logic but you haven't really given a good reason for specific kinds of ammo. I've stated that it's a matter of polish.

You are the only one being narrow minded here when you dont choose to accept the solutions available to you. And shooters have been "polished" for a long time, this game isn't lacking in that area at all.

Hmm, I've not really considered non-supercharged weaponry. Okay, tell me, why are ammo boxes supposed to be the main source? Why can't you just pick up enough ammo drops to replenish your supply? Wouldn't the results be the same either way? Why can't you use the more natural method of replenishing ammo, picking up ammo drops from dead enemies?

Every answer given you dont like..... so just like you not wanting to do anything in the game it looks like you are not going to accept any answer given here outside of your own.

Stop dismissing me.

Stop hittin yourself.

It really does ruin the flow of the game. Most of the time you're dashing from enemy to enemy, room to room. Using ammo boxes is completely different from what you'd normally do.

You stand still while hacking.

You stand still waiting for doors to open.

You stand still opening lockers.

You stand still while waiting for the elevator.

You stand still in the elevator.

Standing still for a second to load up your ammo?

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo!

Right.....

Look, if you don't want to discuss this topic anymore, simply say so or even don't reply at all. This thread will just stagnant until someone else brings this topic up again.

I provided several ways to solve this ammo problem but you dismiss them.... the only person not wanting to have a discussion here is you.

Specific ammo balances the use of primary, secondary and melee weapons, thereby adding a tactical layer of gameplay. With universial ammo there would be no reason why a player shouldn't continuously spray with the most damaging weapon, instead of resorting to more ammo efficient solutions depending on the enemy or mission. For example, killing every Sawman you come across with a Gorgon is a waste of ammo when you have to face a boss later, and you're much better off using your sidearm or melee weapon to conserve ammo.

If, on the other hand, every ammo drop from Sawman would be compatible with a Gorgon, you'd have no reason to consider using alternate methods, unless you severly limited ammo drops. This would also impact the usability of your sidearm, though, essentially making both your sidearm and ammo drops completely useless. Ironically enough, Ammo Boxes would once again be the propper solution in this scenario.

You make a good point and I'd have to agree with that there are good tactical choices that require people to think about the loadout they choose. I suppose my main issue is that other kinds of ammo will come out of enemies and containers and you will never need them for that mission since you can only have 1 kind of long-gun and a pistol.

What I really wanted from universal ammo was to reduce the clutter and randomness of ammo drops. With your argument in consideration, my suggestion would be for universal ammo to give different amounts of ammo depends on the gun type you have. So you would be given a reliable source of ammo but guns that are ammo inefficient will still not gain enough ammo because universal ammo will cater to different gun types.

I'm not suggesting that ammo should give different amounts for each specific gun but only gun types to reduce the balance work. However, I think it would be nice if it was individual as Mass Effect also had such a system and it worked. There were many different kinds of guns, both ammo-efficient and not ammo-efficient. Sure I know games shouldn't continuously copy each other but I thought this was a well-thoughtout system that should be considered.

You cant tweak the number to cover all weapons.

And easy example is the A/Furis and the Lex. The Furis guns eat through ammo and you WILL run out of it and that gun uses the same ammo that the Lex uses that has a low rate of fire and you basically never run out of ammo.

I don't know if it's possible or impossible to tweak the number to cover different guns or at least gun types. People are able to get different kinds of mods from each other so it's a possibility. I understand different guns are more ammo-efficient from another though.

You are the only one being narrow minded here when you dont choose to accept the solutions available to you. And shooters have been "polished" for a long time, this game isn't lacking in that area at all.

Saying a concept is absolutely final isn't exactly a good approach to game design and you know that's kind of the definition of narrow minded. I don't accept your solutions because I feel they shouldn't be necessary in the first place.

Let me give an example of having different mechanics. Mass Effect (I have like no other example thanks to the military "realistic" shooter) had no ammo in the first game. It created interesting concepts where you could full-on fire to the point of a long cool down or just short bursts between bouts. It also introduced interesting mods that reduced/increased the cool down to the point where you could make a rifle that shot very large explosives at the cost of a long cool down or an extremely rapid fire sniper gun.

Every answer given you dont like..... so just like you not wanting to do anything in the game it looks like you are not going to accept any answer given here outside of your own.

You've hardly given me that many answers aside from using different weapons (which I don't like to do for certain cases), using ammo boxes (also explained issues) and max ammo mods (boring mod option).

I ask plenty of questions but you don't answer most of them.

You stand still while hacking.

You stand still waiting for doors to open.

You stand still opening lockers.

You stand still while waiting for the elevator.

You stand still in the elevator.

Standing still for a second to load up your ammo?

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo!

Right.....

For some reason I don't have a problem with hacking as it is rather enjoyable. But waiting for doors, opening lockers, waiting for elevators, or being inside elevators are kind of annoying too. I'd prefer to attack containers over opening lockers and elevator scenes just need enemies to spawn as you wait. However, those are less of a problem than using ammo boxes because of the cursor and you are actually forced to stand still. Your other examples don't require you to stand still besides hacking which I've said, I have no idea why it's fine for me.

Actually there's even a solution for ammo boxes, hotkeys and a better shop ui. Anyways the issue I actually wanted to discuss was the clutter and randomness of ammo drops.

I provided several ways to solve this ammo problem but you dismiss them.... the only person not wanting to have a discussion here is you.

I feel like it's my fault I didn't really word it clearly but my issue was not ammo problems (I'm not even sure why we started talking about ammo boxes) but the fact that ammo drops creates a lot of clutter and are somewhat random at times.

Edited by Liacu

Different ammo drops can seem pointless if you solo all the time because you're only using 1 main weapon type and have no use for other ammo drops other than side arm. However different ammo drops adds elements to team play when playing with other people. More so before ammo became shared.