Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Yet Another Lotus Topic

Masikota

I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct forum for this, since it's "voice/writing" more than "sound", but anyways..

Lotus dialogue is in severe need of a rewrite. The vast majority of it doesn't even make sense at this point. From what I understand, some of her phrases are being reused from events before where they would have been sort of relevant/fitting, but right now most of it is just completely unneccessary/rambling monologue.

For instance, "Something's wrong, there's a heavy Grineer heading your way" (or something to that effect). Why is something wrong? And why does she mention the heavy Grineer AFTER something's wrong? A normal person would say something like, "There's a heavy grineer incoming, something's not right", because that is the train of thought you would have by the order you receive the information. And on top of that, I'd EXPECT them to be sending heavy troops in because, seriously, the Tenno are superhuman space ninjas designed to beat &#! all over town and destroy hundreds of enemies single-handedly, I don't think they're going to be throwing their worst troops at them.

"The scanner is picking up multiple biosignatures, it's the infested". I have a problem with this line, because from what we know, the Grineer, Corpus crewman, and various other enemies are biotic or living creatures. Saying something like, "multiple infected biosignatures are incoming" simply makes more sense because it's saying the biosignatures are abnormal.

"There's a security force heading your way, it's the Grineer". Yes, I am in a Grineer spaceship/base, I would expect it to be the Grineer sending a security force.

Any of the various "ship" references when you're on a planet or outpost of some sort.

Any of the incredibly repetitive and overused lines regarding specific gamemode objectives.

"It's time to overhaul the security", okay, so you want me to make their security BETTER for them? Considering "overhaul" implies recreating something better or improving it.

Basically, Lotus's voice and everything is perfectly fine, I don't really care what she SOUNDS like. It's the dialogue that has really bad problems and is in dire need of a rewrite. I feel like most of what she says was meant for a very specific instance or event, but outside of that situation it makes very little sense. For now, I just turn her volume all the way down so I don't have to be annoyed all mission. But, hopefully DE has something in the works to improve this eventually. This is fluff content, but it's still a large part of immersion that does little more than get annoying rather than making you feel like you're actually doing something for her.

Looong post ahead.

For instance, "Something's wrong, there's a heavy Grineer heading your way" (or something to that effect). Why is something wrong? And why does she mention the heavy Grineer AFTER something's wrong? A normal person would say something like, "There's a heavy grineer incoming, something's not right", because that is the train of thought you would have by the order you receive the information. And on top of that, I'd EXPECT them to be sending heavy troops in because, seriously, the Tenno are superhuman space ninjas designed to beat &#! all over town and destroy hundreds of enemies single-handedly, I don't think they're going to be throwing their worst troops at them.

Can't really say why something's wrong...

but as to why she says that before saying that the heavy's incoming, first of all: Who says that's how "normal" people speak?

It's called front-focusing or fronting (and the yoda meme above me is an extreme example of this). Some fronting is COMPLETELY normal.

"The scanner is picking up multiple biosignatures, it's the infested". I have a problem with this line, because from what we know, the Grineer, Corpus crewman, and various other enemies are biotic or living creatures. Saying something like, "multiple infected biosignatures are incoming" simply makes more sense because it's saying the biosignatures are abnormal.

That's supposed to be implied I think.

Still, I agree that it should be tweaked to specifically refer to infected biosignatures (but then one would ask - would that include venom'd MOAs? Going too far)

"There's a security force heading your way, it's the Grineer". Yes, I am in a Grineer spaceship/base, I would expect it to be the Grineer sending a security force.

Any of the various "ship" references when you're on a planet or outpost of some sort.

Any of the incredibly repetitive and overused lines regarding specific gamemode objectives.

I see no problem here...

and you don't always find grineer in grineer spaceships (believe it or not).

As for the purpose of that notification, other than possibly for stealth reasons (they're coming, stay low), I dunno.

Won't comment on the other 2 because I don't know what you're commenting about them.

"It's time to overhaul the security", okay, so you want me to make their security BETTER for them? Considering "overhaul" implies recreating something better or improving it.

Well overhaul has multiple definitions. It can be synonymous to "overtake", as well as upgrade (drastically).

Inference and Implicature are two different things.

Basically, Lotus's voice and everything is perfectly fine, I don't really care what she SOUNDS like. It's the dialogue that has really bad problems and is in dire need of a rewrite. I feel like most of what she says was meant for a very specific instance or event, but outside of that situation it makes very little sense. For now, I just turn her volume all the way down so I don't have to be annoyed all mission. But, hopefully DE has something in the works to improve this eventually. This is fluff content, but it's still a large part of immersion that does little more than get annoying rather than making you feel like you're actually doing something for her.

Well like others have said, lore is still in the works.

And if you don't care what she sounds like, why do you turn off the voice volume? Cuz her dialogue will still pop up on screen so that doesn't prevent you from seeing it.

Unless you're really able to focus on the game and ignore her monologue - that's impressive to me.

I don't think they should worry about redoing all of the dialogue until they've got everything nailed down. Lore is still in the works, content is still in the works, game is still in beta.

Got a ways to go.

Yeah, like I said, it's fluff. I'd much rather them get the real bugs sorted out. It's obvious they haven't even begun with specific dialogue for certain maps/types of enemies, rather just spotty lines randomly used. There's probably only one line for a heavy Grineer, and that's why she always says the same thing. Same about every other line she uses repeatedly and out of all context.

Looong post ahead.

Can't really say why something's wrong...

but as to why she says that before saying that the heavy's incoming, first of all: Who says that's how "normal" people speak?

It's called front-focusing or fronting (and the yoda meme above me is an extreme example of this). Some fronting is COMPLETELY normal.

That's supposed to be implied I think.

Still, I agree that it should be tweaked to specifically refer to infected biosignatures (but then one would ask - would that include venom'd MOAs? Going too far)

I see no problem here...

and you don't always find grineer in grineer spaceships (believe it or not).

As for the purpose of that notification, other than possibly for stealth reasons (they're coming, stay low), I dunno.

Won't comment on the other 2 because I don't know what you're commenting about them.

Well overhaul has multiple definitions. It can be synonymous to "overtake", as well as upgrade (drastically).

Inference and Implicature are two different things.

Well like others have said, lore is still in the works.

And if you don't care what she sounds like, why do you turn off the voice volume? Cuz her dialogue will still pop up on screen so that doesn't prevent you from seeing it.

Unless you're really able to focus on the game and ignore her monologue - that's impressive to me.

The situation she's speaking in, she wouldn't be able to "frontload" anything. Think about it, if you're staring at a monitor and you see (detect, whatever) heavy units incoming, would you want to let the person on the ground that's depending on you for their survival and by-the-minute intel know that "something's wrong" or that "heavy units are incoming"? Saying "something's wrong" has no relevance to anything if there's no prior information for WHY it's wrong. You'd say, "there are heavy units incoming, something's wrong". You now say "something's wrong" afterwards, because heavy units are incoming, which shouldn't be happening. This isn't about grammar, this is about actual use of the lines and how they'd be said in reality.

And from what I've heard, the "something's wrong" line came from when they first introduced heavy units to the game, so the player (and by extension, Lotus) had never seen them before, which obviously constitutes it as something out of the ordinary. But, when you've done mission after mission after mission with heavies included as just regular enemies, it's nothing wrong. Hence why the outdated line gets pretty old to hear repeated.

The Grineer security quirk comes from the fact that it seems to only ever be used on Grineer-specific missions. Most of the time you won't hear anything about it on missions with more than one faction, or at least I haven't.

The other lines I mean are things like, "The ship's reactor, blah blah", when you're clearly standing on some kind of planetoid or moon with exterior areas. What ship? And hearing "you're getting close to your objective" when you literally just dropped into the mission, repeat 5-6 times on the way there, regardless of how close or far away from it you are.

Edited by Masikota

The situation she's speaking in, she wouldn't be able to "frontload" anything. Think about it, if you're staring at a monitor and you see (detect, whatever) heavy units incoming, would you want to let the person on the ground that's depending on you for their survival and by-the-minute intel know that "something's wrong" or that "heavy units are incoming"? Saying "something's wrong" has no relevance to anything if there's no prior information for WHY it's wrong. You'd say, "there are heavy units incoming, something's wrong". You now say "something's wrong" afterwards, because heavy units are incoming, which shouldn't be happening. This isn't about grammar, this is about actual use of the lines and how they'd be said in reality.

And in reality, I'd say it either way. In fact, I'd say the "something's wrong" first, because the vagueness behind it is what's so alerting, or at least it is to me. In addition, such fronting would probably be better anyway, because who knows, she might need to take time to identify what may be "wrong" or otherwise alarming (E.g. lotus sees something wrong > says "something's wrong" while identifying the cause of caution > finish alert message).

Though the line does get repetitive, I prefer that than nothing.

And that grineer alert thing is actually not very uncommon in multi-faction missions.

The other lines I mean are things like, "The ship's reactor, blah blah", when you're clearly standing on some kind of planetoid or moon with exterior areas. What ship? And hearing "you're getting close to your objective" when you literally just dropped into the mission, repeat 5-6 times on the way there, regardless of how close or far away from it you are.

Huh....I haven't had that happen in "grounded" missions yet. Interesting.

But I agree that the "objective is near" alert is completely messed up.

If one day I heard:

The Grineer, it is... Cleave them in twain, you shall!

--- I'd pay all my formas.

Just sayin

But on point OP is right, ESP about the ground types, and I'm stoked about DE_George's confirmation that new lines are coming.

I'd love to hear more variety, and some specific lines for multi faction missions ( corpus crashing in on a grineer capture mission, etc) would be tops.

Edited by Rajko

I like that the Lotus speaks to us. She serves as the Narrator, and through her much of what we do in the game is given some context. Without her, how do we know WHY this Grineer General has to be removed? Her narrations provide continuity and connection for the Tenno. And for all that many of her situational lines are broken or not working as intended ATM, if they were taken offline while under repair, I think I'd miss them.