Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chains of Harrow, and other lights out missions, overdo darkness.

UilliamNebel

I get it, being in the dark is supposed to increase mood and make things spoopy.

But, yeah no. This is just annoying pain of frustration, not atmosphere enhancing. It is immersion destroying, with how silly it is that a Tenno has no low/no light visibility ability or tools, especially watching every other thing on screen move about and reacting as if the darkness makes no difference to them, like they all have low light goggles on. The aesthetic choice for darkness here should be limited to cut scenes.

The other detracting parts of the Chains of Harrow quest wouldn't be so bad, if the whole darkness frustration was reduced.

I get it, usual dry well of ideas, insta shield stripping, invulnerable, baddy chasing you across a needlessly long area, as trash mobs attack in endless waves... By the time you get to Chains of Harrow this WF trope, itself a much older trope since the N64 days of 3D gaming, has been done ad nauseum. And to be honest it be totally bearable, if you were not immersion wise ripped out of things to be annoyed with how the collision detection as you move through the dark wasn't completely infuriating. It is sad, all the atmosphere of the art direction, from the incredible visuals and sounds, just poof, with how overly frustrating the game play was done here. It is like they were going for what made the first Resident Evil great, and instead re-made parts of Castlevania 64.

I hate this whole "we'll make it darker!" thing in general...

I mean it can be 'more' challenging... much like turning off my monitor to make things really dark would make it 'more challenging'.

It hides the art, it obscures the gameplay, it benefits those of us with monitors that having "gaming mode dark boost" settings - and the fact it's so damn commonplace that manufacturers are building overrides into monitors says something. All it really does is encourage people to run awful looking gamma settings.

If they want obscured units, give them cloaking or put them in camouflage (e.g. some of the grineer on planes are actually have decent camo).

10 hours ago, SDGDen said:

we should still have flashlights which are automatically turned on in darkness when you have your gun out.

They should atleast make sure they avalible for the quests since the quests were made with them in mind

Archived