Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Revisit old lore in old limited timee events

jwya

[TLDR: Players joining/ re-joining after limited time events are missing out on lore & details. Reintroduce these events as quests and it would ] 

Warframe has gone a very long way from its origins. It approaches its 9th anniversary in 2022, and players and developers have gone through so much since then. Retcons have come and gone, for better or worse. Tyl Regor no longer tells you that Halloween was last celebrated about a millenia ago. Now, new Tenno hear Grandmother's stories every Naberus. Meanwhile, Frost Prime was (relatively) unvaulted in the Prime Resurgence event. It reminds me of the time I registered my account some time after U7, only to realise that I had missed the first event in Warframe. The fusion moa threat(?) was gone, and I wouldn't get a Frost Prime blueprint for quite a while, until the introduction of the Orokin Towers and their Keys. Well, at least Thunderbolt was nerfed, and explosive bows wouldn't dominate the meta until Lenz (even Bramma didn't have the honours of re-pioneering meta explosive bows ). 

For better or for worse, some of the stuff I mentioned above would probably be unfamiliar to modern squadmates that are busting ESO waves or bullying Eidolons. Yet, this is also problematic for many pathways in Warframe lore. Even before The Second Dream was first released, Warframe lore was already well in its existence. The Corpus Board was already increasingly tired of Alad V even before the Gradivus Dilemma. Vay Hek was being a clear menace even before the Balor Fomorians. The Strata Relay (on PC at least) looks sorta different compared to the other relays, I wonder why

And yet details like these are not as easily accessible for newer players. The Gradivus Dilemma, Cicero Crisis/ Operation Gatecrash, and the Pyrus Project are thankfully available to newer players who didn't play the events - but as information on the wiki. 

This isn't an issue that merely troubles older, irrelevant & easily retcon-able lore. Someone may not know how Alad almost became an infested overlord, enjoyed a limited edition detox spa and returned practically uninfested to survive countless more mishaps. And don't get me started on the limited-time Scarlet Spear. Was it a logistical nightmare? Apparently so, for those who were involved. But what were its lore implications? That even after busting their own asses, the collective Tenno society could just drive away the Sentient scout forces. That, and Orphix Venom, were major build-ups to the New War - as an omen of the Sentients' capabilities. And yet they remain hidden behind the exclusibity of a limited event. 

So what is the value of revisiting old lore, perhaps with quests? 

1. New player experience. These limited time events had filled in gaps in lore, built up major events like the New War, and contextualised legacies like with Salad V and their greedy milk. Filling in on these events would ease new players into the full Warframe experience, instead of exposing them to relatively disjointed concepts like the Acolytes, Archwing and so on. 

2. Cogent content. By consolidating limited events into quests, the new-to-midgame experience would be facilitated massively. Aside from smooth facilitation of gear progression, players would also grasp the gravity of 9 years of developing lore more easily when they join the game. 

3. Old player experience. Yep, that's right. What could some of the most seasoned (and/or saltiest) players want from revisiting old events turned quests? All the nostalgia and none of the shenanigans experienced back then. Maybe even a chance to dilute bloated drop tables by shifting some of the rewards into quests. 

Clan leaderboards were a pain back then? What would clan leaderboards do in a quest? 

Bugs were plentiful? Sure, but firefighting isn't as heavy when you can control the volume and scope of the quest. 

Connection & squad issues were a pain? Quests don't necessitate squads to complete. 

And most of all, it could help with content drought. Between the mainline updates, such event-revisiting quests can punctuate the gap in between farming new content and anticipating the next big thing. 

I want a Peace Frame EVENT... in 2 months will be perfect.

On 2013-04-01 at 10:00 PM, [DE]Rebecca said:

At last, there is peace in the Solar System.

We now have PEACEFRAME.

U5y5Evn.jpg

Tenno, Corpus, Grineer, and Infested alike put aside their differences.

The battle is over.

Peace has won.

5 hours ago, RLanzinger said:

I want a Peace Frame EVENT... in 2 months will be perfect.

Haha damn guess I missed the first April Fool joke as well. But yeah, some of them were really top tier. And for all the hullabaloo back then, I can't even find Wiki records of the almighty 2016 April's Fool Infested survival. Iirc it lasted an hour , infested enemies were pushing 3-4 digits of levels (even before SP existed) and Stalker would conveniently drop in with the steroid equivalent of having 4-digit levels. All for the glory of one of the rarest mods in thr game. 

I have actually been thinking about this very topic as well. I agree that consolidating these old events into quests would definitely help fill out the lore and story of the game and would likely help give new players a stronger direction in the game early on. 

It would also help in making newer players more immersed in the cinematic quests once they appear. Something I have noticed playing with newer players going through the second dream quest is that most of them have very little idea who Alad V actually is or what his history with the tenno actually entails. And why would they? If you weren't around for the events he was relevant in your only interaction with him would have been through the dialog on his assassination mission on Jupiter. That makes him about as memorable as The Sergent on Phobos.

On 2022-02-04 at 2:45 AM, Riot_Inducer said:

I have actually been thinking about this very topic as well. I agree that consolidating these old events into quests would definitely help fill out the lore and story of the game and would likely help give new players a stronger direction in the game early on. 

It would also help in making newer players more immersed in the cinematic quests once they appear. Something I have noticed playing with newer players going through the second dream quest is that most of them have very little idea who Alad V actually is or what his history with the tenno actually entails. And why would they? If you weren't around for the events he was relevant in your only interaction with him would have been through the dialog on his assassination mission on Jupiter. That makes him about as memorable as The Sergent on Phobos.

Then somehow you fight him for Mesa parts (if you want vanilla mesa), and somehow he pops up near ropalolyst. Kids these days are really missing out on the durability (and misadventures) of this dude. 

On 2022-02-03 at 6:35 PM, RLanzinger said:

Was it that ? Tactical Alert Hallowed Nightmares (2016)

I Love when I see the old Star chart... so VINTAGE !

Close but not quite, that was the old Halloween event before Infested open world/ Naberus. You can search for "april fool alert warframe" or "april fool ammo drum" and some old clips will show up. An example: https://youtu.be/AhAQBLTTCIE

Archived