The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Torrid Framerate Issues

MSD3000

Not sure if this might have been brought up previously, but I'm getting horrendous framerate dips while using the Torrid.

Now before you think it's a low end system issue, I'm running 2 Nvidia 680's in SLI on an i7-3820 with 16gb or ram, so yeah...I never drop below 60fps at max settings. Penis measuring aside, frame rate drops for me are a sign of something very wrong.

I'll give you all the details I could manage to figure out during the match:

I was hosting.

Have mutli-threading enabled, and max settings.

Using Frost Prime.

Torrid was equipped with:

Serration 10

Cryo Rounds 5

Wildfire 3

Piercing Hit 5

Speed Trigger 2

After some trying I figured out that the frame rate dip was caused by an enemy shattered (the freeze damage shatter/explode animation) from frost damage, from the Torrid gas cloud. The error did not occur when the target was hit directly by the grenade and shattered, or from the initial explosion of the Torrid grenade. Only if they died AND shattered, from the damage ticks of the gas clouds left by the Torrid grenades.

The frame rate dips were sometimes less than others, but they would typically last as long as it took for the enemies "corpse" (shattered frosty bits) to de-spawn, which was generally several seconds. If two or more enemies shattered from this at the same time, or before the previous had de-spawned, the frame-rate would drop to single digits.

Though I was hosting, nobody in the match started complaining of lag spikes, I have no idea if it affected the hosting duties. So I have no idea if it was just putting all the work on the gpu's or cpu.

First of all - it is pretty impossible to play the game at rock solid 60 fps and even less if you are the host.
The game does not use the GPUs too well after all since I am getting not more than 25% - 35% usage per core with my GTX590 regardless of hosting or joining other games.
The only thing that is being used as hell is your CPU and even more if you are the host - when I am hosting I can clearly say that I will have around 5 fps less than my friends joining my game just because I am the host.
Another thing is the fact that I did notice that many of these weapons with AoE effects or gas clouds like the Torid and the Ignis for example can cause frame drops in massive battles so I guess this is still some optimization issue or bottlenecking caused by the over usage of the CPU and the almost non existing usage of the GPUs.

Edited by OldSnakeMGS4

ancient.

and it is not about Torid. And your loadout of this weapon as well.

The symptoms seem very specific to a certain thing happening for the problem to be unrelated to the Torid's gas clouds/frost death animation.

And no, I do not get dips like this using any other weapons, or in massive battles. The worst I might get normally is if Nova sets off 30+ enemies in a busy fight all around me. And if that happens, the slowdown is only for a split second as the explosions are calculated, not for several seconds at a time while the bodies wait to de-spawn.

Perhaps, but this was only happening when they died in this one specific way, and it ALWAYS happened when they died that way.

Shattering from the grenades themselves was no issue, and shattering from any other weapon I've tried in the game also had no issue.