Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Angstrum RE:loaded

AlphaPHENIX

Hello tenno, thank you for coming to another post on ForgottenArsenal.com; I am Ian McVauban and today, courtesy of Kronia Relay Armoury, we have a few exotic Angstrum prototypes that never made it into mass production. As you may know, the standard Angstrum itself never got far, for several reasons, but perhaps these ones may interest you.
So, let's take a closer look and let me show you some fancy micro-missile tech.
{Think of these as augment mods [like the Penta's] which add an alt-fire or as completely separate weapons. Whichever you preffer.}

• Starting off with the Angstrum Str-E model, developed shortly after completion of research into ice pulses, the same kind used in the Lenz. This model fires slightly heavier warheads in a stream, or burst if you will, rather then the wide spread shotgun blast we are used to; and their explosion has a slight delay, much like, again, the Lenz. Due to having to fit this pulse mechanism into such a microscopic space though, the electromagnetism used can not reach colder temperatures, thus zapping what it hits instead of chilling it. Now swinging back to the stream fire I mentioned, while intended for increased accuracy, it funnily enough ran into the issue of missiles exiting the barrel so fast they would go everywhere;! with messy grouping even at 10 yards. Probably didn't help they would thumble progressively worse, the more of them were fired in a single burst. My sources say there were 15 recorded instances of missiles firing dozens of degrees off course, ranging between 40° and 100°, one of which took a turn right into John Prodman's foot. I, unfortunately have not been able to find further information, but suspect investors were not happy...and neither was our renowned hero.

{TL;DR - Same charge mechanic, but fires in a fast burst, the missiles still explode on impact, but with a delay and visual effect exactly like the Lenz, except for doing innate electricity instead of cold. Blast radius is just a tad larger then standard Angstrum's and explosion delay is slightly shorter then Lenz's. The innacuracy bit was just for lore...but maybe it could be a peculiar mod. Could also have a small bullet drop.}

• To it's side, we have here the Angstrum IFF-L, which trades it's boom for a support role by sending out beacons for friendly projectiles to lock-on to. And these beacons are smart! To avoid guiding your attacks towards the ground or a wall, they will have a short period upon impact where they look for a heat signature and movement, and if they don't catch either, self-destruct. Had a buddy of mine hit me with one, can confirm it's only mildly unpleasent, even a t-shirt will stop the fairly weak shrapnel, you would only flinch because you thought it was a mosquito. ''But wait a minute, didn't you just say it looks for heat and movement, and only blows up if it doesn't find any?''. Well there's exactly the problem, if you are cold blooded and stay still, it doesn't work. Sadly it appears our engineer friends weren't given enough funding to perfect this system...It was also discovered that lasers have poor homing capabilities, lasers being the majority of Corpus munitions; ya, it just was not profitable.

{TL;DR - Remember Buzzlock? Want a Scourge but in the secondary slot? Here ya go. Fires beacons, all allies get aim assist towards the targets hit by the beacons. When the duration runs out, beacons go poof with an impact proc. In a balanced game I would reduce the max ammo, but Angstrum has a bad time as it is and this isn't a balanced game.}

(PS: I had more ideas, but am currently out of energy to write. Might update later.)

12 hours ago, Pakaku said:

(Note that the Angstrum is merely an MR4 weapon)

That would matter if the MR system was well made.

Note that the Penta is merely an MR6 weapon, yet it has 2 mods specific to it, that entirely change how it functions.
One of these (Tether Grenades) drops from Index enemies. The Index is locked behind a quest which is locked behind The War Within, which is locked behind MR5.
6 > 5 = Hey look, I have this cool mod for a gun that I can't use.

Is it reasonable to think someone would be a higher MR by the time they reach War Within? I sure hope so.
But the last time I acknowledged this system exists was back when I was grinding to 12, so I can get the Sancti Tigris.
I've somehow ended up at MR25 since, partly due to having moments of ''let's build random bp in my foundry'' and also cause I thought the MR23 test was cool.

Oh and did you not read the stuff in { }?

13 hours ago, AlphaPHENIX said:

{Think of these as augment mods [like the Penta's] which add an alt-fire or as completely separate weapons. Whichever you preffer.}

If you want to see these as higher MR versions of the Angstrum, go ahead I am not stoping you.

Archived