Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Plague Star homage to George R.R. Martin ?

UNIT1337

I have found a possible origin for the name "Plague Star".
I have recently started reading an old book of the famous writer George R.R. Martin.
Most will know him for the worldwide bestseller A Song of Ice and Fire, which the HBO show A Game of Thrones was based on.
The book in question is called Tuf Voyaging, and was published first in 1986. It was some of his earlier work.    (good book fyi)
This book starts off introducing us to the 'plague star' on the local planet to be believed a star that brings forth plagues every few generations.
the star waxes and wanes over time, and every time when it is at its strongest, the world gets ravaged by plague affter plague.
In the second chapter named 'The Plague Star', we learn that this is not a star, but a derilict warship fitted with ancient bioweapons.
This derilict has been run by an AI and orbiting a planet in a long eliptical orbit, and every time it came close, released plagues on the world below.

To me it seems like one hell of a coincidence. 
Can someone please confirm ?
I'd also like to hear any other theories about the origin of the name.

13 hours ago, UNIT1337 said:

I have found a possible origin for the name "Plague Star".
I have recently started reading an old book of the famous writer George R.R. Martin.
Most will know him for the worldwide bestseller A Song of Ice and Fire, of which the HBO show A Game of Thrones was based.
The book in question is called Tuf Voyaging, and was published first in 1986. It was some of his earlier work.    (good book fyi)
This book starts off introducing us to the 'plague star' on the local planet to be believed a star that brings forth plagues every few generations.
the star waxes and wanes over time, and every time when it is at its strongest, the world gets ravaged by plague affter plague.
In the second chapter named 'The Plague Star', we learn that this is not a star, but a derilict warship fitted with ancient bioweapons.
This derilict has been run by an AI and orbiting a planet in a long eliptical orbit, and every time it came close, released plagues on the world below.

To me it seems like one hell of a coincidence. 
Can someone please confirm ?
I'd also like to hear any other theories about the origin of the name.

Considering plague star keeps coming back in a semi regular basis I think it's very possible that it's inspired by the book.

Archived