Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lecta Looks Unique! But Gameplay-Wise...it Felt Dissapointing

TylerFreeman

at first try, I was ecstatic on using this whip, it kinda made me feel like I was simon belmont.

it has pretty unique looking features on using it...and that's pretty much the standpoint of the problem, its the "looks" that really took me off-guard, for example every time on the first swing it looks like I'm doing horizontal swings that could be capable of hitting more then a few enemies, when in reality, the hitboxes on the Lecta are registered as vertical swings and won't apply to enemies that you swing against.

And technically, shouldn't there be more 4 or 5 whip swinging animations instead of 3?

like I said, Lecta has potential to be a good weapon, it needs a few adjustments in its current state to make melee somewhat enjoyable.

Indeed. It feels like tha "taser" part of it is the only one that causes damage at all, and that saddens me. To make it worse, it's 100% shock damage.

I mean, just look at the tip of that thing! That should at least be Shock/Impact damage.

The biggest issue with this weapon is that it doesn't register most of its hits. Made worse by adding the Reach mod, which actually makes it MISS MORE. You can swing in the middle of a bunch of corpus while invisible.... NOBODY TAKES ANY DAMAGE. Even on a charge-attack. Seriously, wtf. The cable between the top and the handle SHOULD DO DAMAGE, otherwise this weapon is the most pointless addition...

It's like giving us a spear with a tiny tip, and ONLY that tip deals damage (yet never connects, because the weapon goes through enemies rather than knocking them back at least).

So far, the only attack that nearly always connects is the slide-spin attack. And having to rely on that is bad.

The complete lack of range on the spin-dash attack is really a disappointment. It's a whip for pity sake... whip the bloody thing! Initial impressions are otherwise not amazing either but I'll continue to try it out and slap some mods on it before tossing it in the bin. That dash has got to go though.

Edited by DeadlyFred

My biggest gripe with this thing is that it doesn't stagger enemies. Ever.

I may be a sadist, but when I whip things I expect them to reel in pain!

I'd also like a longer effective range, to further differentiate it from polearms. It's obviously not able to compete with those when it comes to crowd control, and it needs to have something going for it.

So I'm seeing people complain that the only part of the whip doing any damage is the tip.

Which is how whips work in real life.

So... if I'm reading this right...

People are upset that the whip... works like a whip?

its not the fact on how its working, the point here is that the hitbox registry is wonky.  the first 2 swings do not horizontally connect with other mobs, while the 3rd final swing of the whip animation looks and works correctly because its basically whipping in a somewhat vertical line.

The cord does do damage. It's just very minor. Also. I managed to make it work easily. Anything but basic and charge attacks are just like a very short sword. Basic and charge attacks have a buffer zone of normal damage, while anything closer is lower damage. Spinning and whipping it wouldn't work at all. It'd be horrible to hit properly, and people would then complain more about spin slash being useless in combat. All I feel it needs is some extra damage type (impact) and it's perfect

its not the fact on how its working, the point here is that the hitbox registry is wonky.  the first 2 swings do not horizontally connect with other mobs, while the 3rd final swing of the whip animation looks and works correctly because its basically whipping in a somewhat vertical line.

Okay. That wasn't exactly clear from what some people were posting / making suggestions about.

I personally haven't used the Lecta yet, but I can see where what you are describing could be a problem.

To me the only guaranteed hit is the charged attack which takes way too long to perform. In any case, I can't find any reason to keep this thing. Especially since im going to have to add a Forma to it just to make it competent, mod-wise.

The animation's need to be changed so that the strikes are more distinct. That or, the attack radius should be the entire whip not just the tip.

Also if there is no damage buff or a Status Chance buff, I would like to see the ability to stun lock/stagger groups of enemies.

Im hoping for this to evolve into a CC melee weapon with really good reach. Right now its about as useful as dental floss, but if we can get it to attack groups of enemies at a time. It could be a good get away weapon.

(Also they should add the ability to trip enemies or make them fall by hitting their feet)

Edited by Dreamnomad

Poor damage and Weapon size makes it hard to hit cause the whip is so thin. If this weapon is going to be viable at all they have to increase the hit detection ''thickness'' of it, instead of having it as tiny as the whip's ''thinness''.

Edited by tatcher

imo one of the biggest boring points in the game is that everything essentially functions the same. It's been a long time since they've really introduced some new mechanics to the weapons.

The Lecta had potential to have some interesting CC functions but it's basically just another melee skin.

Yeah I'm a little disappointed by the whip. Was hoping it'd be at least fun enough to justify dethroning my Orthos Prime from its near-permenant spot on my back. Wasn't.

Indeed. It feels like tha "taser" part of it is the only one that causes damage at all, and that saddens me. To make it worse, it's 100% shock damage.

I mean, just look at the tip of that thing! That should at least be Shock/Impact damage.

Pure electric isn't that bad, Magnetic and Corrosive are two of the best damage elements in Damage 2.0, and both are part Electric. Radiation is also part electric, and quite amusing (whip your enemies into attacking their allies!).

The problem with the lectra is the lack of it actual cord doing damage. But it should also do impact damage as well.

But melee weapons in general sorta feel...lacking in this update unless they already do a large amount of damage, such as the orthos and galatine.

My biggest gripe with this thing is that it doesn't stagger enemies. Ever.

I may be a sadist, but when I whip things I expect them to reel in pain!

I'd also like a longer effective range, to further differentiate it from polearms. It's obviously not able to compete with those when it comes to crowd control, and it needs to have something going for it.

I thought the "no stagger" was a consequence of Damage 2.0...

Because tying the only thing that made Melee remotely viable to a 10% status chance was a GREAT idea!

WARNING! WALL OF TEXT!

When I first got the Lecta I was severly underwhealmed. It deals straight electric damage, has momentum when you swing it, and the hit detection is super shoddy. "How are you supposed to use this thing?" I thought to myself, but after playing with it a bit here is what I have found to be rather effective.

The Lecta is a support weapon, it will ALWAYS be a support weapon don't forget this but you can actually make it deal pretty decent ammounts of damage and avoid a decent ammount of the shoddy hit detection using it very specifically.

The Lecta has 3 very specific strengths. FIrst it has an extremely good frontal knockdown, id argue it is the largest in the game but it isn't radial meaning it knocks down much further in front than behind or on the sides. Second, its melee finisher is extremely fast. Third, it's modded charge attack is really fast and hits multiple enemies but doesn't have nearly as bad of hit detection as light attacks.

Mods like Shocking touch stack with the innate electrical damage. Meaning it will increase the damage that it scales when changing damage types (radiation/magnetic) resulting in higher overall damage. Pressure point increases damage significantly on the weapon despite it being listed as electrical damage. Mods that add Puncture and Impact damage up also increase damage but because it has very low impact and puncture the increase appears minimal.

Mods that greatly benefit the Lecta: All elemental mods, Pressure point, Killing blow, Reflex Coil, Fury, and Finishing touch. Nightmare mods: Focus energy, Rending Strike, Corrupt Charge, Spoiled strike.

Basically I have found you can use the Lecta in two ways. Hyperspeed whip or Knockdown Charge Weapon.

Hyperspeed whip:
Pressure point and elemental mods boost the attack significantly on this and give you a lot of damage type options, coupled with fury you can swing super fast and hit multiple targets. The only downside to this is IF you hit those targets as the hit detection is SUPER shoddy like its just not good.

Knockdown Charge Weapon:
Equipping elemental mods, Fury, Reflex Coil, Killing Blow and Finishing touch. Use the jumping attack to knock down opponents then swing like mad causing you to do buffed finishing attacks. The finishing move is extremely fast so you can do this to multiple targets. If they are still alive either knock down again or Charge attack until dead.

Fiddling with elemental mods will get you these three different outcomes for damage: (I do not have the corrosive mod unfortunately so I cannot speak to its effectivness on the Lecta)

Without Pressure point:
1. 21 Cold 87.5 Radiation
2. 31.5 Heat 77 Magnetic
2. 56 Electric 52.5 Blast
Total :108.5

With Pressure Point
1. 46.2 Cold 192.5 Radiation
2. 69.3 Heat 169.4 Magnetic
3. 123.2 Electric 115.5 Blast
Total : 238.7

As pressure point does not effect charge attack/finisher damage it is not needed in a Knockdown charge attack build.

To finish up, my feelings so far on the Lecta is this:

The Lecta is a great support weapon but a mediocre damage dealer. Do not expect to pick up the Lecta and wade into hordes of enemies bisecting them with every swing. The damage output on the Lecta is lacking up until max levels where even then it may still be just 'ok'. The cost of the mods required to make this weapon deal decent damage require it to be potatoed because of their relatively high cost. If you like this weapon consider Forma for polarity slots to reduce the cost on mods that are higher than 10 but make sure that you forma in the right order so the resulting elements are correct on the output. That being said, it has excellent knockdown ability, a hyperfast finishing move, and a crit rate on par with almost all melee weapons. It excels at battlefield control and along with other weapons can effectively disable opponents from relatively far away.

If changes in the future to status effect proc chance come in the form of patches this weapon may actually become quite deadly because of the sheer number of elemental combinations you can make for less cost than other weapons as it only needs one elemental mod to access 3 different damage types. Increasing the rate at which it inflicts status effects could make this a very effective crowd control weapon as well as assistive damage dealer by applying stun, knockdown, confusion on many enemies quickly. An improvement on the hit detection and hitboxes will make it an even better weapon ontop of that.

Edited by Zyrell

• 4 weeks later...

To me, Lecta feels like a flyswatter on a wire. Even against low level infesteds and with a fire mod, its damages are just ridiculously low, and for a weapon that looks fast and agile, the charge attack is way too slow in my opinion (or not powerful enough for the time spent charging the attack). I just bought it because it looked badass, now I'm just regretting this choice.