Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The New War … I don’t understand why

(NSW)BenHiraga

Question

I’ll be honest, I’m not much of a video gamer. I’m what some might call middle aged, and the appeal of Warframe to me was that it was never hard. I enjoy unwinding after a long, crappy week at work with a couple mindless hours killing hordes of squishy enemies. I’m not looking for a challenge. I play every game on “story” mode and when that gets too hard, I quit. 

I never cared to venture into Steel Path or Arbitrations in Warframe. I knew they were there, but they’re optional and they’re simply not for me. 

So I finally got around to playing The New War and I didn’t find it overly difficult at first. Now I’m at the first Archon, Boreal, and I just don’t understand why DE did this. From everything I read on these forums, Boreal is the easy Archon. I can’t beat him. I’ll never beat him. It’s a skill issue, for sure. I admit, video game skill isn’t something I’ve ever had. 

So is this it? I can’t progress if I don’t suddenly develop gaming skills I never had in my previous four decades of existence, and I can’t get out of the quest, as has been well documented with other players who got stuck?

I realize I won’t get much sympathy here and I don’t expect any. I just don’t understand why it has to be this way.

• Like 4

So, I made it to the second part of Amar's fight. 🏳️ I'm giving up for now...

But, I admit that I feel that the game is better balanced than before, mainly due to a few little tricks I discovered.  It's actually hard for me to believe it, but I think I need to put them in spoiler tags. 

For Bow Attacks:

Spoiler

1)  Don't zoom in (rght-clk), just focus on timing, not accuracy.

2) Practice the timing for the "Perfect Shot" with the Minions before confronting the Archon.  Watch the bow glow...  Make it second nature.

For Defense:

Spoiler

1)  This may sound silly but...  Just dodge and jump around almost randomly and Amar can't seem to target you.  You can stay close, just don't stay still.   Wait for an opportunity after his attacks to strike back, then keep hopping. 

2) Expect to lose progress when you can't find the real Amar in his clone field while he heals.  Look for those daggers in his hands, but sometimes he is just out of your view and wins. Suck it up.

I am NOT giving up for good.  If I come up with any other hints that might help others get back into this cool game, I will post it up.

• Like 1

I can whip the kid in any FPS game, and I was the one that cleared *HIS* Vault of Glass Hard Mode in Destiny FOR HIM.  The only thing he can beat me in is racing games.

I'm no slouch when it comes to (most) games.

What's happened is they took a 2017-2020 Warframe player who developed playstyle based on Warframes, then took it away abruptly simply because they're lazy and/or unimaginative.

"Play Warframe the Way You Want Until We Force You To Play As We Say."

11 hours ago, (NSW)Crazzzie said:

"Play Warframe the Way You Want Until We Force You To Play As We Say."

In this case I think the New War Archon fights are an interesting change of pace. The fact that you're locked out of your account until you clear the whole quest is the real problem. It would be much better if you could leave the quest and return to the last check point whenever you want.

On 2023-06-24 at 8:58 PM, (NSW)BenHiraga said:

As another poster noted, the archons heal, so the shoot-and-run strategy doesn’t work. It’s not that I don’t know HOW to beat them; it’s that I can’t.

Archon's heal in specific healing phases that have to be interrupted.    But they don't attack during their healing phases.   And healing phases are triggered by health thresholds.  So run and gun works quite well.    If you don't burn him down far enough to drop into a healing phase then you can just hide and heal.     If you do burn him down to his healing phase,   you can interrupt the healing phase then run and heal.      

On 2023-06-24 at 4:15 PM, (NSW)BenHiraga said:

I’ll be honest, I’m not much of a video gamer. I’m what some might call middle aged, and the appeal of Warframe to me was that it was never hard. I enjoy unwinding after a long, crappy week at work with a couple mindless hours killing hordes of squishy enemies. I’m not looking for a challenge. I play every game on “story” mode and when that gets too hard, I quit. 

I never cared to venture into Steel Path or Arbitrations in Warframe. I knew they were there, but they’re optional and they’re simply not for me. 

So I finally got around to playing The New War and I didn’t find it overly difficult at first. Now I’m at the first Archon, Boreal, and I just don’t understand why DE did this. From everything I read on these forums, Boreal is the easy Archon. I can’t beat him. I’ll never beat him. It’s a skill issue, for sure. I admit, video game skill isn’t something I’ve ever had. 

So is this it? I can’t progress if I don’t suddenly develop gaming skills I never had in my previous four decades of existence, and I can’t get out of the quest, as has been well documented with other players who got stuck?

I realize I won’t get much sympathy here and I don’t expect any. I just don’t understand why it has to be this way.

For boreal,  you have two things to worry about.  Dodging lighting and interrupting his healing phases. 

For the lightning,   stay back,  keep moving.   Make heavy use of your roll.     Be patient.    

For his healing phase,  you need to get inside his bubble.  You can do this by dropping smoke screen at the edge of the bubble.  The scream won't push you back if you're in the smokescreen.  (Alternately,  you can brute force it by repeatedly rolling but this takes longer).

When you're injured,  hide behind trees and heal.   Let your abilities cooldown and heal again until you're full.     

On 2023-07-05 at 12:37 AM, Kethesan said:

2) Expect to lose progress when you can't find the real Amar in his clone field while he heals.  Look for those daggers in his hands, but sometimes he is just out of your view and wins. Suck it up.

Just use the drifter's scanner ability to highlight the real Amar on the mini map.

• Like 1

On 2023-07-06 at 9:24 AM, Thorham said:

Just use the drifter's scanner ability to highlight the real Amar on the mini map.

I've tried that, but it doesn't seem to work for me.  Maybe the real one is off the mini-map though.  I will try it again, thanks.

Unfortunately, I've gone into battle with Amar a couple times since I've posted and didn't even get to that part before he slaughtered me. I doubt I will ever get past him, much less beat Boreal too.

I wish I could at least get back to my account to donate my 3000 Platinum to someone who didn't get screwed by this game mode.  This REALLY sucks, but I have soooo, many other game to play I just can't justify the time it will waste to move on.  Hopefully, I will just get lucky on one of the times I try again and finally beat one of them.

Edited by Kethesan
typo