Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are we sure Railjack/Archwing should have an up and down?

BalaDeSilver

I mean, we're on space. In space there is no up and down, just movement. I understand interiors and open worlds having this kind of orientation, because they have gravity, but in Railjack in specific, it's very annoying and sometimes disorienting when the entire vessel moves without your input. It sucks to aim at a crewship's engines when the entire RJ is flipping around without any input from any player, because the pilot is too good and approached in an angle the game doesn't necessarily like. Are we sure this is the optimal way to do things in Archwing and, more specifically, Railjack? Wouldn't it improve the game feel if there was no up vector by default and an accessibility option for the players who require an up or down to orient themselves?

I think the bigger problem here is the fact that the RJ reorients on its own, since Archwing doesn't and you don't really notice the motion sickness part with it alone. Also, there's this issue:

IDK, Archwing lacks so much support and QoL, it's a little too forgotten by the players and developers alike. I feel it creates a negative feedback loop, where players don't care because the developers didn't make it on par with the rest of the game (because it's too much work for any employee to take without an anti ethical amount of crunch), so the developers never improve on the system because no one played it, and the cycle continues.

It would be cool if the team could experiment with Archwing and Railjack every now and then, bringing them closer to the rest of the game, as well as improving their standalone systems. We could start by fixing the up vector, or making it entirely optional for players, or at the very least, a smoother transition for when you leave the Railjack with an Archwing and have the RJ not turn on its own when there's a player either on the pilot seat or the Tunguska Cannon.

We had an option called "experimental flight" in which you could use all degrees of freedom, thus you didn't have an up/down.
But sadly this got removed. I liked that mode more than having a fixed plane to which you snap back.

Zitat

And iirc there've been planes for an archwing rework, but this was teased at Tennocon 2019, so take this with a grain of salt...
That should also have included a rework into modular archwings:

Zitat

b3592c4a0382067f56f44a23ec845683.jpg

Zitat

I suppose all of the space combat maps are designed to be understood "horizontally", because it's less confusing for "land-lubbers", both players and the enemy AI. But obviously it comes across as undercooked for those of us who want real space combat in true six-degrees-of-freedom (although every experiment in this game feels undercooked compared to more dedicated games.) At any rate, yes, the Railjack automatically trying to reorient itself has gotten in my way far more often than I've wanted it to. Just give me a dedicated button to press...

We used to have experimental six-degrees-of-freedom in archwing controls, and Railjacks kept that, but the maps themselves are still mostly horizontal for the most part. The old Archwing maps are very horizontally designed. So while 6DoF is cool, in practice it just made no difference on those maps.

There still have never been any instances in Railjack where you would do combat straight "down" or "up" and keep heading in that direction towards an objective, either... the illusion of actual vertical depth is there, but it's still really all a facade, there are no vertical objectives, enemies still think horizontally, etc...

Also, addendum: Improve aim and center screen reticle visibility. I can't see it without looking real hard for it.

iH5vEDO.png

I think there is no center screen reticle, too, which is a shame because I play with my monitor crosshair turned on and it helps so much to know where the center of the screen is, so I can make the RJ stop spinning when I need to.

Archived