Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Parazon's Hidden Ability

Probably_Asleep

Every Warframe has at its disposal a special blade... A Parazon... as lethal to technology as it is to flesh.
—Lotus to the Tenno during the Jackal Assassination Mission

Speaking of the Jackal fight, the Parazon clearly has a grappling hook ability. Between fight phases, the Tenno pursues the fleeing Jackal using a rather lengthy tether attached to their Parazon.

Back in the day there was a cutscene of Mag using her second ability in a manner not available in actual gameplay. The story goes that the community begged consistency, and was given Mag's #2(Held) ability as a result. It was a great occasion where artistic license intersected with consumer expectation.

But if we are to take the Mag ability as a precedent, then shouldn't the Parazon have the same treatment? Shouldn't we be able to tether to and pull ourselves toward heavy enemies and stationary objects at least the same distance as the radius of the Jackal's first arena room?

"We don't have the button-space for that!" I hear you saying, but wait! This could work...

• Available when the player is in air and has no remaining mid-air jumps
  • Cross-Hairs must be aimed at wall, object, or heavy enemy 35 meters or less away (radius of Jackal's room)
  • Parazon launches and pulls player toward target
  • Heavy enemies are determined by whether or not they can be affected by Mag's Pull
  • If hitting a lightweight enemy, the enemy will be pulled a short distance and the Parazon will snap back to you
  • When hitting a wall/object, wall-latch or wall-jump become available at appropriate proximity
  • When hitting a heavy enemy, can slide to turn it into a slide-kick with triple damage (a "headshot multiplier" of slide-kicks)

So it wouldn't require any extra button mappings, just an added option when you're out of jumps.

"We already have Valkyr's Rip Line!" I hear you now saying, but wait again!

• Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Valkyr user her Parazon like everyone else in the Jackal fight cutscene?
  • Rip Line's lvl4 base range is 75 meters
  • Mag's passive is an inferior Vacuum or Fetch. Clearly the existence of something similar does not mean anything significant.

So as you can see, there is every reason in the world to add this already-canonical Parazon ability into the game itself.

I believe you will see the correctness of my arguments and do the noble thing. I'm not asking you to live up to my expectations; I'm simply expecting that you will live up to very same standards you've already proven you strive toward time and time again. Thank you in advance for being awesome.

• Like 2

I don’t know why we grapple onto the Jackal that way, it’s totally out of nowhere and is basically only there to look flashy during that one cutscene (which loses its charm after the nth time it’s replayed) and has never been done anywhere else beyond that point that I can remember

In terms of gameplay, well… it’s not going to be as useful as you think it would. When was the last time you’ve Riplined enemies in a meaningful combat way? Every criticism about Ripline can be easily applied to a Parazon weapon

Nobody uses it seriously, people want AoE pulls if they’re looking to yank enemies towards them, and Helminth can get the Nidus larva ability. Why grapple an enemy towards you when you can bullet-jump to them, or dive-kick from there if you really feel the need to. (There is a divekick mod, by the way: Gale Kick) Why do I need to spider-man around a map when falling has no penalty, and it’s easy enough to parkour around anyways. And that’s not factoring in other means of mobility like the Operator or mobility abilities. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Pakaku said:

When was the last time you’ve Riplined enemies in a meaningful combat way?

That's not what I use it for tho. it's a movement ability, you can yank yourself around the map like crazy.

As for OP: aside from everything being very Mag-centric lol - I support this idea!

Edited by LittleLeoniePrime
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Pakaku said:

Why do I need to spider-man around a map when falling has no penalty, and it’s easy enough to parkour around anyways. And that’s not factoring in other means of mobility like the Operator or mobility abilities. 

Well there could be some uses. Sometimes you're just too confidently bullet-jumping around, just to be a bit too far away from any walls/floor to reset your jumps or wall latch, so you just try to glide as long as you can to push the moment you'll be teleported away in shame as late as possible. This could potentially "save" you.

Also keep in mind that falling technically has a penalty. Losing all your buffs. It's pretty big under certain circumstances if your survival relies on invisibility, damage reduction buffs, etc.

9 hours ago, Pakaku said:

I don’t know why we grapple onto the Jackal that way, it’s totally out of nowhere and is basically only there to look flashy during that one cutscene (which loses its charm after the nth time it’s replayed) and has never been done anywhere else beyond that point that I can remember

In terms of gameplay, well… it’s not going to be as useful as you think it would. When was the last time you’ve Riplined enemies in a meaningful combat way? Every criticism about Ripline can be easily applied to a Parazon weapon

Nobody uses it seriously, people want AoE pulls if they’re looking to yank enemies towards them, and Helminth can get the Nidus larva ability. Why grapple an enemy towards you when you can bullet-jump to them, or dive-kick from there if you really feel the need to. (There is a divekick mod, by the way: Gale Kick) Why do I need to spider-man around a map when falling has no penalty, and it’s easy enough to parkour around anyways. And that’s not factoring in other means of mobility like the Operator or mobility abilities. 

Pakaku! You're a "first responder" this time!

Interestingly, you're describing the Mag-scenario almost exactly. The #2-Held ability was only done in one cutscene, just to look flashy, and never done anywhere else. And it ALSO isn't as useful as people might have thought it should be. (I mean it probably would have been if they made it protect your from AoE attacks and status effects)

So while your criticisms are valid, none of those reasons prevented this exact thing from happening the last time an ability was invented for a cutscene.

9 hours ago, LittleLeoniePrime said:

That's not what I use it for tho. it's a movement ability, you can yank yourself around the map like crazy.

As for OP: aside from everything being very Mag-centric lol - I support this idea!

I will not apologize for the Mag-centricity! But I am grateful for your support. (Mag is grateful too, she just doesn't have a mouth to say so)

9 hours ago, Chewarette said:

Well there could be some uses. Sometimes you're just too confidently bullet-jumping around, just to be a bit too far away from any walls/floor to reset your jumps or wall latch, so you just try to glide as long as you can to push the moment you'll be teleported away in shame as late as possible. This could potentially "save" you.

Also keep in mind that falling technically has a penalty. Losing all your buffs. It's pretty big under certain circumstances if your survival relies on invisibility, damage reduction buffs, etc.

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but this happens to me from time to time (especially on Jupiter missions). If I run a bunch of tight-corridor missions and then suddenly jump into a spacious mission, I may take for granted how long I can actually glide. And there have definitely been times when I ran out of aim glide just a few meters away from the ledge I was aiming for.

3 hours ago, Nanika said:

have it replace the air-slide attack maneuver. ez.

I really wish the air-slide attack was as useful as it was cool-looking. Then again, maybe it wouldn't look cool if it was actually useful...