The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

2 Questions about Hydroid.

(PSN)Hopper_Orouk

Question

Let's break away from the complaining for a moment and do some testing.

Does corrosive projection have any benefit on Hydroid? 

based on my testing it doesn't help hydroid strip armor at fewer stacks, still needing 10 corrosive stacks to strip...so does CP have any other benefit?

What are some interesting helminth ideas to replace tentacle swarm with?

My immediate thought went to nourish or Sickening pulse...they both seem very fitting and I wonder which one is more desirable.

Nourish gives me energy and viral, so i'll have a tanky efficient hydroid that deals viral and corrosive damage.

And sickening pulse means I can always max my plunder stats no matter the level.

Thoughts?

Edited by (PSN)Hopper_Orouk

6 answers to this question

i personally went with breach surge because of the MASSIVE amount of damage procs you can get through tempest barrage. something people haven't realized is there's no limit to how many barrages you can have active and they are allowed to overlap, so you can simple place 20 of them over a group of enemies, chuck breach surge on them and every damage tick has a 20% chance of proccing breach surge ticks which is not a big problem if you have hundreds of damage ticks per second. 

2 hours ago, (PSN)Hopper_Orouk said:

Let's break away from the complaining for a moment and do some testing.

Does corrosive projection have any benefit on Hydroid? 

based on my testing it doesn't help hydroid strip armor at fewer stacks, still needing 10 corrosive stacks to strip...so does CP have any other benefit?

What are some interesting helminth ideas to replace tentacle swarm with?

My immediate thought went to nourish or Sickening pulse...they both seem very fitting and I wonder which one is more desirable.

Nourish gives me energy and viral, so i'll have a tanky efficient hydroid that deals viral and corrosive damage.

And sickening pulse means I can always max my plunder stats no matter the level.

Thoughts?

1. Not really, he also has no issues stripping enemies in general. Carrying corpro makes it so you have less to strip than usual but that's really it.
  2. If you're going to trash Tentacle Swarm, you could go Thermal Sunder! I was actually thinking of swapping out Plunder for Thermal Sunder and giving myself Archon Flow for easier energy gain. Imo it's really between Plunder and Tentacle Swarm to trash as Plunder's usefulness is inhibited by it being extremely user-unfriendly and Tentacle Swarm is nice but the effective range is trash.

Thermal Sunder is all-in-all a really good choice because it scales super well with high range, and my personal build already sets me to 150% duration and 160% range

Corrosive Projection has two primary use cases:

• You want to lower the Power Strength requirements for your abilities to fully strip armor.
  • You aren't going to be doing any precision armor stripping but would just generally like enemies to have lower armor values.

Considering that Hydroid's whole kit is Corrosive now, and his passive allows for a 100% armor strip, I generally speaking I don't see much of a purpose to Corrosive Projection on him.

It's niche, but Bosses are immune to his passive, meaning that full Corrosive stacks only gets them to 80% armor strip like normal.  So Corrosive Projection could get them to 2% armor, if that feels worth it to you.  But even for this niche use case, in my opinion it would be better to just use a weapon with Shattering Impact or something.

Tentacle Swarm

I cannot even imagine a world in which I am playing the only Warframe who can conjure proper tentacles and I get rid of the tentacle ability.  I will not go down this path with you.  I REFUSE.

31 minutes ago, Flannoit said:
  1. Not really, he also has no issues stripping enemies in general. Carrying corpro makes it so you have less to strip than usual but that's really it.
  2. If you're going to trash Tentacle Swarm, you could go Thermal Sunder! I was actually thinking of swapping out Plunder for Thermal Sunder and giving myself Archon Flow for easier energy gain. Imo it's really between Plunder and Tentacle Swarm to trash as Plunder's usefulness is inhibited by it being extremely user-unfriendly and Tentacle Swarm is nice but the effective range is trash.

Thermal Sunder is all-in-all a really good choice because it scales super well with high range, and my personal build already sets me to 150% duration and 160% range

Right now, tentacle swarm is really only useful for me in mirror defense, where I deploy it and then pick up crystals, but even that is possible without as I have an infinite cast of barrages...so it has to go.

Sickening pulse will probably be the most important substitute 

1 minute ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

Tentacle Swarm

I cannot even imagine a world in which I am playing the only Warframe who can conjure proper tentacles and I get rid of the tentacle ability.  I will not go down this path with you.  I REFUSE.

you know what also bugs me about this ability? WE'RE ON LAND, where does the kraken come from? and don't you say it's the void, or I will slap Hydroid.

and it's very cool and all, but it's just a divine spears to me now, an ability I also find niche.

4 minutes ago, (PSN)Hopper_Orouk said:

Right now, tentacle swarm is really only useful for me in mirror defense, where I deploy it and then pick up crystals, but even that is possible without as I have an infinite cast of barrages...so it has to go.

Sickening pulse will probably be the most important substitute 

It's useful as a nerfed version of Nekros's Desecrate, but since it's effective range and listed range are wildly different values, Pilfering Swarm's not the most helpful which is the main draw of his 4 in all honesty. Listed range only applying to how far out tentacles can spawn really, really sucks because the effective range of the tentacles themselves is still relatively bad.

At least it's a hard CC for stuff the tentacles grab... Bare minimum they can do is add damage and effect consistency, maybe make things not in tentacles take less damage than those in tentacles and have Pilfering Swarm just apply blanket in the range of the ability.