Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I think my account is risking a ban

JohanssonRein

Question

We all know, your account will risk a ban if you purchase platinum by changing VPN to another country. But here is my situation:

First, I have a shared STEAM account with my bestie (not warframe account and I will never do so) and we live in different countries now. Then, earlier this October he bought some steam wallet balance as a birthday gift for me. Since we use different currencies, he bought them with HKD (Hong Kong Dollar), which was about 150 Canadian dollars. But what wired was that from my PC in Canada, I found that the balance was not converted into Canadian Dollars but was also in HKD. When I log into Warframe, oh my god, the prices shown in market were also in HKD. I tries to change my VPN and many other things to solve that, but nothing really changed and the balance was still in HKD. At that time, I thought it was not a big deal so I bought some platinum using my steam balance, which was in HKD. Will my behavior be considered as changing VPN to buy platinum? If my VPN was in Hong Kong when I made the purchase, what about then? I am kinda worried now and seeking for help.

3 answers to this question

20 minutes ago, JohanssonRein said:

We all know, your account will risk a ban if you purchase platinum by changing VPN to another country. But here is my situation:

First, I have a shared STEAM account with my bestie (not warframe account and I will never do so) and we live in different countries now. Then, earlier this October he bought some steam wallet balance as a birthday gift for me. Since we use different currencies, he bought them with HKD (Hong Kong Dollar), which was about 150 Canadian dollars. But what wired was that from my PC in Canada, I found that the balance was not converted into Canadian Dollars but was also in HKD. When I log into Warframe, oh my god, the prices shown in market were also in HKD. I tries to change my VPN and many other things to solve that, but nothing really changed and the balance was still in HKD. At that time, I thought it was not a big deal so I bought some platinum using my steam balance, which was in HKD. Will my behavior be considered as changing VPN to buy platinum? If my VPN was in Hong Kong when I made the purchase, what about then? I am kinda worried now and seeking for help.

If there was an "issue", you're account would have been toasted by now.

This is something you need to contact support about.

Sounds like something you should talk to support about.

But you really shouldn't be sharing steam accounts like that to begin with.
Steam has a feature that allows you to share games between trusted individuals without sharing your account, Called family share.
I'm also pretty sure directly sharing your steam account like that is against steam's ToS. Especially across countries cus that can be seen as an attempt to get lower prices and avoid taxes. So you REALLY should both have your own accounts linked with family share. You can both have your own account and access to each other's games. Do that instead.
The only caveat to it is to enable family share you have to have logged into both accounts on the same computer(s). But since you're already sharing your steam login info with each other that's not an issue.

It's kind of astonishing you're not banned from steam yet.

Edited by PollexMessier
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, PollexMessier said:

It's kind of astonishing you're not banned from steam yet.

Indeed. And if you're using a VPN to juggle things and try to make it look kosher between the 2 of you, that's also playing with fire. At some point you're going to forget and the account might just get locked since it will look like the account has been stolen and logging in from a different place. Or someone will log in at the same time or minutes after the other and give the same appearance.

It's one thing if you're using a VPN to watch stupidly blocked TV shows and if a problem locks you out, you're just out that 1 show, another if you're locked out of a bunch of games you've purchased.