Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ps5 Frame Drops and Screen Tearing

(PSN)GAV2482

As soon as I enter the new tile the tearing and fps drops, lowering the dynamic resolution helps a little but not much. It looks like a problem with the resolution and fps? I have a good TV and tried on other tvs and get the same problem, please fix this so I can actually play and enjoy the update.

Ever since duviri the PS5 version has been plagued by screen tearing and frame drops. These have been getting worse with Whisper In The Wall being the worst yet. 

I've had to turn down practically all settings available to minimum to minimise it yet it is still constant

These make it hard to even play the game at times due to the constant flickering

2 hours ago, (PSN)GAV2482 said:

Yup I've had the same problems to m8. Lowering the dynamic resolution setting helps a little but not entirely. I can go to the void for example and it will be fine, but go to the new tile and the tearing and fps drops start.

I've ended up dragging the resolution scale all the way to the minimum to get it tolerable. It's such a odd issue

5 hours ago, (PSN)Scyrra_ said:

I've ended up dragging the resolution scale all the way to the minimum to get it tolerable. It's such a odd issue

It's been a thing for ages m8, but only happened in certain areas like the open worlds and some other spots. Yes it's really annoying. I can't enjoy the update because soon as I go to the new tile the tearing starts lol 

8 hours ago, (PSN)GAV2482 said:

It's been a thing for ages m8, but only happened in certain areas like the open worlds and some other spots. Yes it's really annoying. I can't enjoy the update because soon as I go to the new tile the tearing starts lol 

It makes me wonder why they decided to set the graphics settings so high if it's this unstable and not even give players the ability to change it manually

As soon as I enter the new tile screen tearing and fps drops start. This definitely has something to do with the resolution and fps. Lowering dynamic resolution helps a little, but not to were it's a smooth experience. Something is going on behind the scenes, please DE! fix this problem! It's not the first time I've mentioned it. If I leave dynamic resolution at default, I will get tearing in all the open worlds and a few other places. Even AOE weapons cause it. But lower the dynamic resolution setting and it helps a little. I'm no tech wizard, but I'm not stupid enough to not know this isn't on my end! Please fix the game so I can actually enjoy the new tile! Thank-you.

• 1 month later...

I've gone ahead and merged a few threads regarding screen-tearing on PS5. Would anyone be able to share some video clips of these tears? If it's difficult to catch on video, maybe screenshots with examples of what happened when the tearing started? We hope to track down and identify the causes of this screen-tearing, so any additional information is greatly appreciated.

Also, details about your TV/monitor setups could be helpful. Does anyone happen to be using VRR? Does the tearing improve if you enable/disable VRR?

Thanks!

Edited by [DE]Linkski
  • Like 1

On 2024-01-26 at 10:06 PM, [DE]Linkski said:

I've gone ahead and merged a few threads regarding screen-tearing on PS5. Would anyone be able to share some video clips of these tears? If it's difficult to catch on video, maybe screenshots with examples of what happened when the tearing started? We hope to track down and identify the causes of this screen-tearing, so any additional information is greatly appreciated.

Also, details about your TV/monitor setups could be helpful. Does anyone happen to be using VRR? Does the tearing improve if you enable/disable VRR?

Thanks!

Hi the tearing only happens in the new tile and duviri for me. I lowered the dynamic resolution setting and it helps a little. Another example is the new dagoth research room in my clan, it is full of tearing, and only that room, but lowering the dynamic resolution helps a little. The fps also drops when the tearing happens. I don't know what causes it but I can be in the void for example and the game runs fine. I go to the new tile and its fine in small rooms, go to the bigger rooms or the outside area's the tearing starts.

Edited by (PSN)GAV2482

It's most noticeable for me when I go from the Star Chart back into the Orbiter, the normally seamless and smooth transition animation is broken, stuttering and often freezes before resuming properly. I also possibly recall on the recent Dev Stream or possibly some other DE stream they were aware of the recent PS5 specific issues but don't quote me on that. ALSO last night for the first time since rejoining this game last December, the game started falling apart, character models and assets were deconstructing, locked camera angles, stuck animation from Archwing to walking in Free Roam resulting in a floating Tenno, and overall just an impending feeling the game was going to crash or something. There is definitely something going on in the PS5 [PS4?] build. Also did want to mention a lot of these issues for me seemed to coincide with adding a ton of noggles and floofs to my Orbiter. Not sure if that's relevant to the Orbiter specific tearing and stuttering I've been experiencing. 
[2019 Q80 65" Samsung QLED : Game Mode on PS5 : VRR off, 120 Hz Output automatic, ALLM off, 4K Video Transfer Rate automatic, HDR On When Supported, Deep Colour Output automatic, and RGB Range automatic]

• 5 weeks later...

I just saw this game running on a friend's XSX and it runs great. OTOH, the performance of the PS5 version has been poor for ages, with screen tearing in hubs & open world spaces. I just came back to the game to prepare for the March update, but the performance is even worse now than the last time I took a break post-Duviri.

I'm going to move on to other games in the meantime until there's an optimized version for PS5. That constant screen tear, performance drops, and now I get freezing for 30-40s+.. I know the freezing is new and has been reported, but c'mon DE - love the game but the PS5 version needs some addressing and acknowledgement that help is on the way.