Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sanctum Anatomica Hub and related missions may be too taxing on GPU.

Fred_Avant_2019

Okay so let me give you more ample context.

Four years ago, I used to play on a crappy laptop which died due to overheating. Ever since, I've moved to your average gaming desktop with decent enough specs not to worry about things too much, but a part of me is still in constant ptsd in fear of overheating parts, so I always make sure to lower graphics to not put a huge strain on it. I'm the kind of guy who skips a heartbeat when hearing any sort of suspicious noise coming from a desktop. Yes, I know, I'm overreacting but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Anyway, DL'd the update, did the quest, played a whole lot, got the syndicate maxed, got qorvex, mandonel and pretty much everything I'd leftover to rank up so as to fill all my equipment as mastered with good builds and everything, then it struck me :

Pretty much anywhere I go my GPU fan barely makes any noise because the game isn't such a big deal for it to run, railjack included. Went to the Zariman as it was previously a place that seemed to give me this issue, but nope, nothing special, went to do some circuit, still nothing special. However, spending just some in the Sanctum Anatomica Hub or doing the latest missions seemed to be far more taxing on my GPU to the point I could clearly tell the difference in fan speed just from the noise it made.

Having nothing better to do, I decided to run a program that lets me check the temperature of the components of my desktop.

Standing in the orbiter doing pretty much nothing has GPU at a cool 49°C, with its hotspot standing at a measly 62°C, fan averages at about 1200 rpm, nothing crazy.

However just standing pretty much idle / talking to the several npcs in this new hub rises my GPU's temperature to 68°C and its hotspot at 81°C. Fan ramps up to 2k rpm.

Went to Crysalith right next to guncle after letting it all cool down, 60°C, hotspot at 72°C, 1.7k rpm, so no funny business there, nothing shocking. I've let it cool again, went to Cetus pay Konzu a sandwich, almost same results as Crysalith (bit barely higher).

Out of curiosity I went ahead and rolled with grendel in the plains, just to see if there'd be any difference. To my surprise, there was next to no difference in GPU heat between being in the plains and being in Cetus.

So now my question is this :

Why is standing idle in the new hub more taxing for my gpu than it is to go at the speed of sound in the plains of eidolon? What happened? Am I missing something?

Also, most importantly, am I the only one experiencing similar issues?

My specs :

• Motherboard : MSI B450 gaming plus max
  • CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 2600
  • GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER

I run the default shaders (not the high quality ones), locked myself at 72 fps and kept post process effects to a minimum, got particles on low.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Fred_Avant_2019 said:

Why is standing idle in the new hub more taxing for my gpu than it is to go at the speed of sound in the plains of eidolon? What happened? Am I missing something?

The new hub area and tilesets use a new global illumination and fog rendering system - no where else in the game uses it. You can turn down (or off) volumetric fog in game settings and you should see GPU utilization return to nominal levels that match the rest of the game.

I personally keep it on Low, it's a lot even for my RTX 2060S as well.

• Like 1

Il y a 10 heures, Pakaku a dit :

Disabling Volumetric Fog helps a lot, and honestly makes those tilesets look way better anyways

Alright, will try that out.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Il y a 11 heures, TARINunit9 a dit :

Ironically I've found the Sanctum and Laboratory are LESS taxing than the previous addition, Duviri

Gonna spend some time in Duviri today to check on this, will come back to this thread to share some results.

Il y a 2 heures, Fred_Avant_2019 a dit :

Alright, will try that out.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Gonna spend some time in Duviri today to check on this, will come back to this thread to share some results.

So regarding Duviri, I did some testing and it didn't turn out to be much different from anything else. It's all smooth sailing for me there with the same settings.

Il y a 14 heures, Naroxas44 a dit :

The new hub area and tilesets use a new global illumination and fog rendering system - no where else in the game uses it. You can turn down (or off) volumetric fog in game settings and you should see GPU utilization return to nominal levels that match the rest of the game.

I personally keep it on Low, it's a lot even for my RTX 2060S as well.

As it turned out, yep, it's those "new" settings that cause the "strain".

Dynamic Lighting and Volumetric Lighting are the options that, if enabled, cause this big loss of performances / sudden jump in GPU temperature when entering Sanctum Anatomica... but it also makes that entire place look ugly when you disable them.

Regardless, thanks for the tip! Hope this also help other fellow tenno.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem : got a RTX-3070 laptop, but standing still in the sanctum anatomica makes my GPU reach 87 degrees. I found warframe to be very well optimized, but it seems like the hubs show some performance issues.

Il y a 13 heures, Kiinakem a dit :

I have the same problem : got a RTX-3070 laptop, but standing still in the sanctum anatomica makes my GPU reach 87 degrees. I found warframe to be very well optimized, but it seems like the hubs show some performance issues.

It's all the volumetric and dynamic light things. Disable these, and hopefully you won't overheat.