Cross-Platform Save Rollout Information ×

Cross save safety blanket or some sort of backup plan

I've recently just went through my eligibility for cross save. I read and understood the risks and benefits of linking / merging accounts. Needless to say, I made a mistake (that I'm not passing blame on) when I went thru. I selected the wrong platform as my main account. Going form Xbox to PC. I was confused to the question that was asked of "which account will be your main account?" Well, I took that as; I'm moving FROM Xbox TO PC then my PC will then be my main account, right? Well wrong. It should have been worded in a way that clearly specified on WHICH PLATFORM ARE YOU CURRENTLY ON. From there I went thru and made a Support Ticket to maybe so if someone can help me correct the mistake. I didn't want to reverse the process, I just wanted to be able to correctly make the right decision. Needless to say. They can't guarantee the safety of unlinking / unmerge. I lost quest progress in the process and i must go thru the game again as a "new" player...

I came to a thought of, why isn't there a feature or some sort of safety blanket set up as a JUST IN CASE measure? Not saying to those that the risk isn't there as a permanent aspect, BUT someone else may get mislead into the same situation I had. So many things are backup in files and hard drives it's hard to imagine that DE can't provide a feature to help correct that hiccup if it were to happen.   

• Like 1

I appreciate that you took acceptability to note that the mistake was on your end, I would advice you and anyone else attempting cross save to read the FAQ VERY WELL before attempting it. That said, the only people who can help you is [DE] support through a claim ticket, and even that is not a guarantee. But I would try there first.

5 hours ago, Nimisha_Prime said:

I appreciate that you took acceptability to note that the mistake was on your end, I would advice you and anyone else attempting cross save to read the FAQ VERY WELL before attempting it. That said, the only people who can help you is [DE] support through a claim ticket, and even that is not a guarantee. But I would try there first.

I have sent in a ticket and I was in communication with DE support. They offered a reversal but they told me it could risk even more lost or damaged content as they could not promise that my account would revert completely back to pre merge. 

but again this is why I ask for a back up plan because we are human and we do make mistakes even if instructions are clear. We have to be given the benefit of the doubt at least once when we’re dealing with things like this, especially when other game developers offer similar avenues. 

Until now, I haven't had word of a reversal. Still, I would trust it. Remember that [DE] is obligated to be "honest", in the same way as a medication. They have to tell you every single possible side effect. Are they likely? No. But there is a small chance something could happen. But the fact they offered a reversal shows they do have a safety net, they just cannot confirm it 100%. Even if it were 99.9% likely to work, legally they have to tell you about 0.01% risk. Likely, that risk is losing data from a certain recent period. IE if they saved your data on January 15th, and progress since then would be gone. That's just a guess though. I'd assume they're making more regular backups than that, knowing how cross save is going, but that's again only an assumption based on what I would personally do if I were them. 

Ultimately, [DE] is doing their best, being honest, and truly trying. Compared to other developers *cough* betheda! *cough* they're doing amazingly well given how difficult this process must be on their end.

18 hours ago, Nimisha_Prime said:

But the fact they offered a reversal shows they do have a safety net, they just cannot confirm it 100%. Even if it were 99.9% likely to work, legally they have to tell you about 0.01% risk.

Yes, they've done reversals for a handful of people I've seen on the forums. It works but it's a restore from backup situation, so it may miss any last minute changes to your account prior to the merge and nothing after, and depending on the state of any transactions on your account at that moment I can see why they would warn of possible corruption or lost items. In most cases it should be fine. 

In most cases I think it's going to be worth the opportunity to re-pick the account with hundreds or thousands of hours more worth of progress over the potential of a lost item or two.

• Like 1