Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

1999 brings back pleasant memories

I hardly ever look at the game these days. However, news about 1999 brings my attention back to Warframe every now and then. The more I learn about the update, the more I like what I see.
Theories, artwork, and fanfics from 2013-2016 come to mind, when players were having heated debates about the nature of tenno. I won't hide, I supported the losing side - those who thought warframes were suits or shells for mutated humans.
My headcanon was a theory of my own composition that the tenno had awakened as a "tabula rasa": no memory, no gender. By putting on warframes, they were trying on the physiology and remnants of protowarframes personalities.
Now, of course, this assumption seems absurd and impractical. At the very least, it would require more in-depth work with the lore and personality of each warframe. This is something fans have been doing for a long time. They came up with a "people's canon" and ascribed certain character traits to each warframe. For DE, however, this was clearly not a priority.... 
Until the annonce of the 1999 update. Yeah, protoframes aren't warframes in the usual sense, but it's nice to see even a loophole like that. 
And doubly nice that for once the game is taking a more down-to-earth tone. Maybe this time we won't even have another drama about growing up or abusive relationships. 

• Like 1

I watched a video of Warframe's alpha gameplay and was startled that I had to think of 1999. I think this is intentional.

My speculation would be that DE were thinking of how different today's gameplay is from the original one, that both have their own merits, but there is no way to bring back the original gameplay without completely throwing the last X years (hyper fast movement, room nuke, power fantasy) out of the window. The two systems are just not compatible anymore. And they don't need to be, if they stand side by side.

Given that there's already coexistent ways to play the game, see Duviri, adding "Retro Warframe mode" in parallel isn't far fetched. Only to give it a lore-coherent way to exist, they went beyond turning the dial back just in terms of gameplay, instead shifting the setting. What that might mean for 1999 is that it'll be their attempt for more tactical, slower combat. The kind of pacing one might see or remember in early game footage. I would speculate on conventional mission types like exterminate and defense and so on, just draped in the 1999 style. And I'm completely fine with that idea.

• Like 1

4 часа назад, voidctrl сказал:

I watched a video of Warframe's alpha gameplay and was startled that I had to think of 1999. I think this is intentional.

My speculation would be that DE were thinking of how different today's gameplay is from the original one, that both have their own merits, but there is no way to bring back the original gameplay without completely throwing the last X years (hyper fast movement, room nuke, power fantasy) out of the window. The two systems are just not compatible anymore. And they don't need to be, if they stand side by side.

Given that there's already coexistent ways to play the game, see Duviri, adding "Retro Warframe mode" in parallel isn't far fetched. Only to give it a lore-coherent way to exist, they went beyond turning the dial back just in terms of gameplay, instead shifting the setting. What that might mean for 1999 is that it'll be their attempt for more tactical, slower combat. The kind of pacing one might see or remember in early game footage. I would speculate on conventional mission types like exterminate and defense and so on, just draped in the 1999 style. And I'm completely fine with that idea.

That's exactly what I'm counting on. Stating that 1999 will be something more than a content island like Duviri further fires the imagination. Although, years with DE have taught me not to inflate expectations too much. At least we already have a confirmed course for veteran warframe personification. 

16 hours ago, voidctrl said:

They already confirmed in the pax live stream that dialing it back wont be a thing. Reb clearly stated it will be core WF gameplay and not like Duviri for instance. So what I assume with this is that it will be what people have asked for in the past really, an urban open world, just with a different aestethic than the rest of the game, or an urban version of Z or Labs to give that feel of a modern day city. I expect we wont get to cosplay Spooderman, Venom, Carnage or any of the other spider friends/enemies.

Cyberframewarpunk 1999 maybe?

And I gotta say. I utterly dislike the Arthur and Aio hairdos. They just end up looking like two K-pop rejects or something.

Posted (edited)
В 24.03.2024 в 21:51, SneakyErvin сказал:

They already confirmed in the pax live stream that dialing it back wont be a thing. Reb clearly stated it will be core WF gameplay and not like Duviri for instance. So what I assume with this is that it will be what people have asked for in the past really, an urban open world, just with a different aestethic than the rest of the game, or an urban version of Z or Labs to give that feel of a modern day city. I expect we wont get to cosplay Spooderman, Venom, Carnage or any of the other spider friends/enemies.

Cyberframewarpunk 1999 maybe?

And I gotta say. I utterly dislike the Arthur and Aio hairdos. They just end up looking like two K-pop rejects or something.

Well, the devs said it would be core warframe, but a little different. Older or more down-to-earth gameplay may well fit the description. But the most reasonable thing to expect, of course, is just another open world.

I don't see a big problem with the hairstyles. Arthur is a cybersamurai inspired by Jetstream Sam, and Aoi is Asian. My only complaint is that they're being a little too pompous. But I guess that's just for the teaser.

Edited by Terridaks.

Just make Dark Sector canon.

If Hayden Tenno shows up it would bring a mass amount of hype. They need to pull the trigger on this. 

I know what others will say/think as I've had multiple discussions about this.....but this can still be done.

Just Do It Shia GIF by MOODMAN

4 hours ago, Terridaks. said:

Well, the devs said it would be core warframe, but a little different. Older or more down-to-earth gameplay may well fit the description. But the most reasonable thing to expect, of course, is just another open world.

I don't see a big problem with the hairstyles. Arthur is a cybersamurai inspired by Jetstream Sam, and Aoi is Asian. My only complaint is that they're being a little too pompous. My only complaint is that they're being a little too pompous. But I guess that's just for the teaser.

I think you managed to describe the dislike I have with "asian" animation styles, too pompous. It's like Sephiroth in FF, everyone sees this badguy and I can barely hold my laughter inside when I see him. Too me it looks like some guy that took the wrong turn towards the local Dark Elf or Vampire convention and fell into a bucket of Emo.

39 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

I think you managed to describe the dislike I have with "asian" animation styles, too pompous. It's like Sephiroth in FF, everyone sees this badguy and I can barely hold my laughter inside when I see him. Too me it looks like some guy that took the wrong turn towards the local Dark Elf or Vampire convention and fell into a bucket of Emo.

I mean...I think that's the intention, I don't know about you but I'm seeing inspiration from FF on character design and personality.

Rebbs a big fan of FF, so I can see why WF1999 might have this kind of design. I think all of this is intentional given FF7's impact on gaming in the late 90s. 

Edited by Cram_Duahcim