Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma Rework Idea

VasjaTheOx

Passive ability, Chroma can tripple jump and hover for longer when aiming in mid air.

1st

Dragon Breath:

Similar as his current first, but if activated while hovering, his Dragon Breath get 100% Range, with an increased blast effect.

When the Dragon Breath hits the ground, it leaves an elemental wall for 10seconds, afflicting anyone who steps into it.

Hoding his 1st ability, Switches Chroma to FIRE Element.

Kills done with fire element, heals Chroma and allies in the vicinity by 50hp per kill.

2nd

Venomous Claws:

Croma imbues his weapons with the current elemental power granting him an additional 50% base status chance, and base 30% Weapon Damage for base 15 seconds.

Holding his 2nd ability, Switches Chroma to TOXIC Element.

Kills Done with TOXIC element, grants chroma 5% increase fire rate and attack speed. It can stuck up 10x it lasts 10seconds.

3rd

Elemental Ward:

Keep it the same, no need to change much.

Except Electric Ward augments chroma Shield Recharge Delay and speed instead of giving him overshields. He gets overshild with electric kills.

Holding his 3nd ability, Switches Chroma to COLD Element.

Kills Done with COLD element, grants Chroma 50 point OVERGUARD per kill, for a maximum of 1500.

4th:

Effiigy:

Also can stay similar.

Holding his 4nd ability, Switches Chroma to ELECTRIC Element.

Kills Done with ELECTRIC element, grants Chroma and allies in vicinity by 100 OVERSHIELDS per kill.

Chromas Elemental Kill Bonuses can overlap, so players can switch between elements in combat and have more than one elemental bonus active at the same time.

Edited by VasjaTheOx

I'm not a Chroma expert or anything but here's my thoughts.

I like the Hold abilities to switch elements, reminds me of Voruna and Lavos, it's a simple way to get away from dial and select. 

I don't think you should so casually toss out Vex Armor, Chroma's long time Iconic ability and for a lot of people 1 of 2 actually good abilities. 

I think imbuing your weapons with X element is a good ability and could replace his 1 and you could easily have the fire breath portion just as a feature of the Effigy Turreting for you.

As far as Overguard I would say, it would completely trump health regen and shield regen would be good for general shield gating.

Also as a note for energy regen from health damage from rage type mods, you can't get rage energy regen through your personal overguard. Which this would kill that gor those people (Personally I just use Archon Stretch for energy) 

On 2024-04-29 at 5:35 PM, Mr_Stach said:

I like the Hold abilities to switch elements, reminds me of Voruna and Lavos, it's a simple way to get away from dial and select. 

Same here. The dial to swap elements does get annoying after a bit even if I only stay on heat or cold (others are meh)

I don't think you should so casually toss out Vex Armor, Chroma's long time Iconic ability and for a lot of people 1 of 2 actually good abilities. 

100% agree. I usually play chroma and it is 1 of 2 actually good abilities (1 deals no damage while locking out of weapons, and 4 is an energy hog, deals no damage, and strips you of 75% armor for an increased move speed) that’s my biggest issue with this. If effigy was taken out fine, spectral scream? Fine, even ele ward (the other decent ability) alr a bit too much but if the replacement is good alright I can deal with that. But vex armor? Their damage/tanking buff? The one reason people use chroma other than looks? The ability that previously made them a god at eidolons? they selected that ability to remove? That’s one change I cannot support. Imo on the rework idea claws should replace 1 and give VA back to chroma. As Spectral will still probably be useless and don’t think the imbuement + VA will break the game. VA is already theoretically the lowest damage buff in the game. With the others being multi and so many ways to get base damage there is really no reason to use VA over roar or eclipse.

As far as Overguard I would say, it would completely trump health regen and shield regen would be good for general shield gating.

This is the other issue I have with the rework. It’s the second time where I’ve seen someone suggest giving chroma overguard. They weren’t made to get overguard and overguard has been kinda relegated to the end all be all of tanking. I don’t want to see my favorite frame just get sent into overguard hell as it just seems so bland. Oh they aren’t tanky enough? Just give overguard and they will sort it out. And overguard would easily beat out elec ward, heat, and as much as I would like fire rate on my guns that’s just more dps which isn’t really what chroma needs as the rework removed vex armor thus taking out their main gun buffing ability for just more fire rate and an additional element.

On 2024-04-29 at 5:07 PM, VasjaTheOx said:

4th:

Effiigy:

Also can stay similar.

Holding his 4nd ability, Switches Chroma to ELECTRIC Element.

Kills Done with ELECTRIC element, grants Chroma 100 OVERSHIELDS per kill.

Chromas Elemental Kill Bonuses can overlap, so players can switch between elements in combat and have more than one elemental bonus active at the same time.

And finally effigy. Not sure where you got the idea that it can stay the same, maybe since you took out VA chroma no longer needs Blind rage to get any substantial power str? But rn effigy is straight up unusable. Drains energy in seconds, deals no damage even with high str, and slashes armor by 75% making you insanely squishy for a tank. Effigy’s only benefit is the doubling credit drops which is only good on PT. Other than that it’s the subsume slot for nourish or something actually decent (SS has the element swap so it can’t go). Imo effigy should be nuked from orbit. Strip that out and replace it with a completely different ability that actually synergizes with their kit instead of ruining their tankyness and energy Econ.

29 minutes ago, Nerthiril said:

And finally effigy. Not sure where you got the idea that it can stay the same, maybe since you took out VA chroma no longer needs Blind rage to get any substantial power str? But rn effigy is straight up unusable. Drains energy in seconds, deals no damage even with high str, and slashes armor by 75% making you insanely squishy for a tank. Effigy’s only benefit is the doubling credit drops which is only good on PT. Other than that it’s the subsume slot for nourish or something actually decent (SS has the element swap so it can’t go). Imo effigy should be nuked from orbit. Strip that out and replace it with a completely different ability that actually synergizes with their kit instead of ruining their tankyness and energy Econ.

What I would probably do is just have the Effigy become duration based and honestly remove the Armor reduction bit. Just getting the speed boost and be Duration based could benefit a lot for it.

Other changes just for making it Synergize and feel better could be:

- Effigy now follows you floating nearby attacking nearby targets.

- Effigy gains the benefits from both Vex Armor (both scorn and fury) and Elemental Ward while active. 

- While Elemental Ward is active, Effigy's status Chance and Damage are doubled. 

19 hours ago, Mr_Stach said:

What I would probably do is just have the Effigy become duration based and honestly remove the Armor reduction bit. Just getting the speed boost and be Duration based could benefit a lot for it.

Duration based would help infinitely in making it useable. The main issue with effigy is that at base efficency with primed flow you can only have it active for 55 seconds during which you can’t regain energy via rage/energy nexus, and goes down much faster when you consider you have to make sure to keep VA up (assuming no guardian armor/ aren’t killing fast enough) only getting worse when blind rage cranks that drain to 14/s for a sentry that gives a 50% multiplicative armor reduction (which is ironic as that’s chroma’s only multiplicative and it’s a negative and means VA with that active slashes your armor much more than it appears) and a movespeed bonus. While the sentry barely does any damage. Removing the armor reduction would also help a lot in making it more worthwile and not a straight up nerf to your frame to cast that ability.

19 hours ago, Mr_Stach said:

Other changes just for making it Synergize and feel better could be:

- Effigy now follows you floating nearby attacking nearby targets.

- Effigy gains the benefits from both Vex Armor (both scorn and fury) and Elemental Ward while active. 

- While Elemental Ward is active, Effigy's status Chance and Damage are doubled. 

These are all very good ideas. Though effigy already gets fury bonus from VA. But I’m still in the boat that it doesn’t really feel like it fits chroma. They aren’t really a caster frame. More a weapons platform due to circumstance. It kinda feels like DE was going for a middle ground but it somewhat failed due to VA being so much more useful than the rest. I feel like they should full send weapons platform and make them closer to something like voruna. Their abilities compliment their playstyle and focus on good gunplay over nuking the room with abilities.

Posted (edited)

i like the idea of Effigy following you, meybe could be a good synergy with Spectral scream, like using spectral scream while effigy is active makes it shoot a strong homing elemental blast at a target.

oh and yea, now to think about it, yea they should also buff effigy, giving it a timer instead of energy consumption...also more dmg.

Regarding VENOMOUS CLAWS instead of VEX.

my idea was to give that ability base DMG buff and status bonus on weapons.

so adding Intensify for example, would increase the stats, currently Vex only gives base weapon DMG.

With VENOMOUS CLAWS you sacrifice a bit of that raw damage for STATUS damage and STATUS chance. Not to mention the next COLD STATUS update where it will increase the base critical chance.

+ the new selectable passive elemental effect, for example Toxic kills increase fire rate etc and toxic Wards increase in Weapon Reload.

for me, VEX armor is the most annoying ability of the bunch. Always making sure you have the buff active while juggling the enemies and energy is a pain in the neck. but thats my opinion.

for me chroma should be a slow moving gun loving monster that can also hover.

Edited by VasjaTheOx