Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×

Character keeps moving by itself with controller plugged in

With the update Hotfix 35.5.11 my Xbox controller on the Warframe (PC) started walking sideways by itslef and I can't control it or leave it still on a place. I thought it was my Xbox controller that had been damaged but I already tried it in other games and it is completely normal. It is not surprising that this happens in Warframe, but please correct it, cause it is unplayable to have that bug!

Also having this issue with my Xbox controller after the most recent update. Even the slightest touch of the respective analog stick causes my character to move or zoom in and out on the star chart. I'm wondering if perhaps it's ignoring the deadzone setting, since tweaking it doesn't do anything to fix this issue?

My warframe won't stop moving backwards since earlier today no matter what I do, and all since I just log in.

I've tried many things in order to fix the issue, between restarting and relogging back into the game; verifying game cache and updates integrity in the browser; I even erased the game and redownloaded it to see if I could get it fixed and I'm still moving backwards as soon as I log back in... It's not unplayable the game however, it's just annoying to deal with sometimes.

Is there any way I could get it fixed or some help/guidance? I've been playing on my Steam Deck if that helps...

Thank you

The only fix I've found so far is to go to the controller section in settings on your deck and up your controller deadzone on both sticks to max. 

It's annoying but necessary until they fix it, here's hoping they notice...

One thing that I've also noticed that I'm pretty sure wasn't there before is that I'm now getting rumble pulses whenever the sticks are centered. It sort of reminds me of the haptic feedback on the touchpads that triggers when your finger stops moving. Maybe the either the game or the Steam Deck itself started thinking that the analog sticks are touchpads?

Does anyone else who plays on steam/pc with a controller experiencing your character moving by itself recently? Use a switch pro and my character keeps moving by themselves constantly and it makes the game impossible to play. Its not stick drift as I tested the controller on other steam games and there was no issue. I also ran a stick test and the stick doesnt show any drift. Was it something to do with last hotfix?

1 hour ago, Youngsta said:

Does anyone else who plays on steam/pc with a controller experiencing your character moving by itself recently? Use a switch pro and my character keeps moving by themselves constantly and it makes the game impossible to play. Its not stick drift as I tested the controller on other steam games and there was no issue. I also ran a stick test and the stick doesnt show any drift. Was it something to do with last hotfix?

It was definitely the last hotfix that did it, everyone's been having controller issues ever since.

Out of the blue my controller has an issue where I keep moving in game by myself and when I press WASD it does nothing until I somehow get my frame to stop moving then presses on the keyboard start to work again.

Not only that bad the minute I open the launcher for warframe, my mouse starts moving to the left slowly on its own.

I've tested my controller in other games and it works fine but the minute I start to play warframe it doesn't and idk why. Any suggestions? 

3 hours ago, Xiothin said:

It was definitely the last hotfix that did it, everyone's been having controller issues ever since.

Ah ok thank you, good to know its not just me

Having this problem as well on a ps5 controller on PC. At first I assumed it was the controller itself, but given its only 2 months old I thought it was pretty unlikely. Cleaned sticks etc, problem consisted. Good to know that it's a warframe issue and not a sign of a faulty controller.

Also, I have tried Xiothins fix, except I only set the left stick deadline to max and kept the right where it was. Worked like a charm, no drift anymore. Movement feels slightly off from normal, but it's barely noticeable and no longer having any episodes of randomly moving. 

Was driving me crazy, I main octavia and it was making crouching to a beat almost impossible xD. Started having the problem in the middle of a deep archimedea run too, so it wasn't ideal. 

1 hour ago, CluelessCayden said:

Having this problem as well on a ps5 controller on PC. At first I assumed it was the controller itself, but given its only 2 months old I thought it was pretty unlikely. Cleaned sticks etc, problem consisted. Good to know that it's a warframe issue and not a sign of a faulty controller.

Also, I have tried Xiothins fix, except I only set the left stick deadline to max and kept the right where it was. Worked like a charm, no drift anymore. Movement feels slightly off from normal, but it's barely noticeable and no longer having any episodes of randomly moving. 

Was driving me crazy, I main octavia and it was making crouching to a beat almost impossible xD. Started having the problem in the middle of a deep archimedea run too, so it wasn't ideal. 

For me Navigation was rapidly zooming out of the planet I wanted to visit which is why I needed to do both, not sure if that was your experience, I'm glad the fix helped you!

If Steam Input is causing problems, can you please open the Controller configuration within Steam, and tell us what configuration profile you are using? Is it the Official one, or have you made personal changes?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Switching from my custom profile to the Steam Deck default got rid of the weird haptic feedback, but I'm still seeing controller drift that the game previously was ignoring.

Edit: I've been trying to edit the controller configuration to match my preferences again, but it's being incredibly wonky. I'm no longer completely convinced that this is a Warframe problem.

Edited by jothki

Posted (edited)

100% sure this is a Warframe issue. i have zero controller drift on 2 separate controllers (https://gamepadtest.com/). i am on PC launching through steam. I even rest to all defaults inside warframe. (side note i remember this happening like 5 years ago on xbox and pc)

Edit:

things i tried without a remedy

reset warframe

restart warframe

restart steam

restart pc

blue tooth / hard wire controller swap

controller test https://gamepadtest.com/

disconnect controller and use keyboard only (works for keyboard movement does not fix controller issue)

adjust sensitivity in settings of warframe to max left stick (maybe notice small window where it stopped moving)

** custom dead zone

all reset and restart above

still unplayable 05/10/2024

Edited by lobo333

14 hours ago, Paarthurnax_Zero said:

It seems that if you have steam input enabled, it screws with things as well. I disabled it and ran the game again and the problem went away.

I tried that and it didn't work.

3 hours ago, jothki said:

Switching from my custom profile to the Steam Deck default got rid of the weird haptic feedback, but I'm still seeing controller drift that the game previously was ignoring.

Edit: I've been trying to edit the controller configuration to match my preferences again, but it's being incredibly wonky. I'm no longer completely convinced that this is a Warframe problem.

There was no issues between the last steam update and the latest Dante hotfix, it began for everyone after the latest Dante hotfix.

5 hours ago, lobo333 said:

100% sure this is a Warframe issue. i have zero controller drift on 2 separate controllers (https://gamepadtest.com/). i am on PC launching through steam. I even rest to all defaults inside warframe. (side note i remember this happening like 5 years ago on xbox and pc)

Edit:

things i tried without a remedy

reset warframe

restart warframe

restart steam

restart pc

blue tooth / hard wire controller swap

controller test https://gamepadtest.com/

disconnect controller and use keyboard only (works for keyboard movement does not fix controller issue)

adjust sensitivity in settings of warframe to max left stick (maybe notice small window where it stopped moving)

all reset and restart above

still unplayable 05/10/2024

Have you tried setting custom deadzones in the Steam settings for the game? That did work for me.

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, jothki said:

Have you tried setting custom deadzones in the Steam settings for the game? That did work for me.

I did increasing and decreasing. followed by saving "confirming". followed by restarting whole system...

edit: also if you would have read i tested the controllers now on 3 different versions of software, and 6 games. becomming more convinced it is a warframe issue. as i am not the only one.

Edited by lobo333

3 hours ago, jothki said:

Yes I did and advised that as a temporary fix earlier on. However changing the deadzones to be either more tolerable or non-existent isn't an ideal solution imo, the deadzones feel good and help a lot during combat, especially on Steam Deck.

This can't be a steam issue, there were no steam updates, big or small right before or right after the new Dante hotfix.

I found a "fix" might be what someone else said about steam, what i did that is working now:

Go to steam launcher

Select Warframe

Click gear icon (manage)

Left side select "Controller"

Right side in drop down box select "disable steam input"

There happened to be a steam update around the same time there was a hotfix for Warframe so i am not sure is steam changed this setting or there is still a warframe issue. However, this has resolved my issue...for now?

23 minutes ago, lobo333 said:

I found a "fix" might be what someone else said about steam, what i did that is working now:

Go to steam launcher

Select Warframe

Click gear icon (manage)

There happened to be a steam update around the same time there was a hotfix for Warframe so i am not sure is steam changed this setting or there is still a warframe issue. However, this has resolved my issue...for now?

Not to be rude or act like I don't believe you, but when was this Steam update? It had to have happened either RIGHT before, right after, or during the hotfix deployment as the issue wouldn't present itself in that way otherwise. If it was a day before then someone would have noticed and IIRC the first post about the drift happened only an hour or two within the hotfix release.

I played like 2 hours or so, maybe less right before the hotfix release and played very shortly after it released and there just wasn't any drift of any kind beforehand.

It might be difficult for Steam Deck players regardless as you need steam input to play games on steam deck unless you stream to your PC or etc.

Posted (edited)

I forgot what I did, as my Warframe would randomly walk and look around as well.

Prior to Dante Unbound, it never happened, but I know my joysticks do have a minor drift that is detectable in the calibration process.

Tweaking the controller deadzones in Warframe did absolutely nothing, (I'm assuming that's what's broken) but adjusting the deadzones in Steam Decks settings fixed it completely.

...downside though, now every other game is more painful to play as they weren't experiencing any drift, and requires me to reset the deadzones to default when switching from Warframe to anything else.

Edited by PhiZero

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, lobo333 said:

Go to steam launcher

Select Warframe

Click gear icon (manage)

This fix the issue!! Thanks

Step 1: Go to steam launcher and select "LIBRARY".

Step 2: Under "LIBRARY" select "Warframe" in the list on the left.

Step 3 Option 1: Click the "Gear icon" at the lower-right corner just below the new Dante banner ( along with 3 other icons: "controller", "Info" and "Favorite")

Step 4: Under the drop down from "Gear Icon" got to "Manage" > "Controller Layout" and a new window will pop up.

Step 5: at the top-right corner, click "Disable Steam Input".

!!And that's it!! Or at Step 3, you can...

Step 3 Option 2: Click on the "Controller Icon" and a new window will pop up.

Step 4: At the top-right corner, click "Disable Steam Input".

Edited by Ahli_Buda
OCD!!