Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Draw

AJknights

Try looking for tutorials on how to draw human bodies, then "construct" the armor around them.

Art blogs on tumblr are your best friends. Though I'm a self-taught artist, it really helped me develop :) Before drawing armor, you should learn how to draw the basic human body first.

Doesn't that require a bit of knowledge of anatomy? Isn't that what some famous artist from the past did?

Edited by ShadowKnightNG

Actually I don't think knowing anatomy is "going in too deep" if you're into art. It's extremely helpful to understand what you're drawing beforehand. You don't have to know the names of all the muscles of course (though I do try to learn them anyways, but that's preference), but their shapes and insertion points are what make the human body look... well, human. IMHO It's like trying to guess what's beneath a blanket hoping it matches what it looks like on the outside.

I know you're probably just trying to make some fan art for fun though, which is perfectly fine of course. Most people won't notice unless it's too obvious that it's wrong, but good anatomy always gets you one step ahead, and good gesture takes you even further. :) In any case learning the basics could help you big time.

Here's a list of helpful stuff. I could recommend some amazing anatomy books, much better than most things on this list, IMO, but I don't think you came here hoping to buy stuff haha: http://artistshospital.deviantart.com/art/Library-reference-Humans-24705651?q=boost%3Apopular+female+muscle+tutorial&qo=15

As for tutorials, I'd offer to do some but to be honest I think it'd be too time consuming to get every detail down and explained.. but I mean, if you have any general questions for a specific frame I think I could help :). If you're wondering why you should believe anything I said, here's  my blog if you're curious. I'm no pro yet, but I take my teachers' advice to heart and repeat it when it applies. Hope this helps!

You're going in too deep.

Unless he plans on doing weekly autopsies and sketching what he sees, like da Vinci(I recommend not), it isn't that deep. There are certain things like bone structure and proportion that need to be taken into account when drawing human figures.

Also, do not be afraid to take bits and pieces from other drawings. I know people might not agree with me, but hear me out. I think drawing what others have done give you a taste of different art styles and allow you to find your niche. But seriously, try not to trace. Other than that, just have fun, and do whatever you feel. You're drawings should come out awesome!

I'm fellow newbie myself and i tried out recently the digital form, (cheap digital tablet and pen) with photoshop and i find a lot of advantages here.

The layers: god bless the creators for this, creating different layer and modifying them whenever you're please is very nice thing to have, nothing is set in stone.

No mess when working, let's be honest here how many people get their fingers/arms coated in eraser leftovers/paint/ink while drawing?

The color palette and mixing is easy.

Don't be afraid to try out the digital form even if teachers/pros frown upon it, it might help you and make you more interested.

• 3 months later...

I've been drawing traditionally since I could pick up a pencil, though I have yet to apply those skills to Photoshop because my tablet is so old that I can't find a working driver for it... And a Tablet without pressure levels is like Loki without an A****** playing him. Also the last time I tried to use my Tablet I remember cramping my wrist and have to ice it, so yeah.

But learning anatomy is important and fun. I mean, the most you really have to know is joints, the skeletal structure, and muscle groups, but even that isn't necessary. Because Warframes tend to be... Grotesquely muscular, I prefer to keep it in mind when drawing them.

Really the best way to start would be to take some screenies of them, then try and sketch the skeleton, muscles, armor and finally draw one.