The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Please mark the locations of all facilities on the Orbiter for new players.

RainPU2

Currently, the guidance on the Orbiter for new players is not sufficiently clear. I hope that after completing the 'Vor's Prize' quest series, new players could be reminded of the locations of all facilities through a short guidance mission or dialogue. For instance, facilities like Nightwave, which are not immediately obvious, should be highlighted so that new players can easily locate them.

Although I have played for thousands of hours, I can still vividly remember everything from my early days as a new player: the poor tutorial guidance, the heavy reliance on the player community for learning, and even the fact that the very first quest series, 'Awakening,' provided no clear instructions during the hacking portion. Some new players might not even know how to complete the hack.

To better understand the experience of today's new players, I tried starting a new account from scratch. I can say that it felt much the same as what I remember. After completing the 'Vor's Prize' quest series, it's easy for new players to feel lost and unsure of what to do next. Additionally, among the starter weapons available, there are certain combinations that can significantly diminish the early game experience. If a new player chooses to begin the game in 'The Duviri Paradox' mode, there’s also a serious issue with spoilers.

(Since my English skills are very poor, the above content is translated by ChatGPT, which may sound very stiff :p)

Edited by RainPU2

2 hours ago, RainPU2 said:

I hope that after completing the 'Vor's Prize' quest series, new players could be reminded of the locations of all facilities through a short guidance mission or dialogue.

It sucks, but ye I guess that's kinda needed nowadays, many players just don't explore anymore,
be it your own ship, hubs with NPCs to talk to, or the Options menu, they just ... don't.

But then I also have to ask, should this game support that?
Or should it "remain old school" in that regard, expecting - or teaching, if needed - a certain level of player intelligence?

It's a weird thing to balance.

the very first quest series, 'Awakening,' provided no clear instructions during the hacking portion. Some new players might not even know how to complete the hack.

I mean, the button to press is shown in the middle of the screen, even just mashing it will soon if not instantly have an effect,
having the thingies slot into place, I again have to despair at the thought of "modern" players not figuring that out.

After completing the 'Vor's Prize' quest series, it's easy for new players to feel lost and unsure of what to do next.

You do get mail from Lotus nudging you in the right direction, but ye I guess it could be stated more clearly
how you'll want to e.g. clear planets for various benefits, how there are various gameplay unlocks via Story Quests, and whatnot.

There could not least also be a mini Quest made out of, say, crafting Rhino,
leading you to the boss fight (maybe via you checking the Blueprint info in the Market to find that yourself),
and also teaching you how to find out where the resources for the parts drop (by having you check out the BPs' hover-over info in the Foundry).
Again, teaching players some self-reliance, that's always good in my book.

If a new player chooses to begin the game in 'The Duviri Paradox' mode, there’s also a serious issue with spoilers.

Not an option anymore, the Quest is locked behind the Uranus Junction.

• Like 2

2024/9/29 PM5点07分 , NinjaZeku 说:

It sucks, but ye I guess that's kinda needed nowadays, many players just don't explore anymore,
be it your own ship, hubs with NPCs to talk to, or the Options menu, they just ... don't.

But then I also have to ask, should this game support that?
Or should it "remain old school" in that regard, expecting - or teaching, if needed - a certain level of player intelligence?

It's a weird thing to balance.

I think it would be enough to just have the facility locations mentioned once in the game. Honestly, when I was a new player, it took me almost 10 minutes to find the Nightwave location because I searched the entire Orbiter before realizing it was in a very inconspicuous corner :v

I mean, the button to press is shown in the middle of the screen, even just mashing it will soon if not instantly have an effect,
having the thingies slot into place, I again have to despair at the thought of "modern" players not figuring that out.

Oh, it looks like this part has been updated. The last time I started a new account from scratch was during the Duviri Paradox update, so I might not have noticed the changes back then xD

You do get mail from Lotus nudging you in the right direction, but ye I guess it could be stated more clearly
how you'll want to e.g. clear planets for various benefits, how there are various gameplay unlocks via Story Quests, and whatnot.

There could not least also be a mini Quest made out of, say, crafting Rhino,
leading you to the boss fight (maybe via you checking the Blueprint info in the Market to find that yourself),
and also teaching you how to find out where the resources for the parts drop (by having you check out the BPs' hover-over info in the Foundry).
Again, teaching players some self-reliance, that's always good in my book.

I completely agree. If new players can learn what they need to know early on, it will greatly improve their future gameplay experience. After all, new players may not always know where to find the information provided by the player community, so being able to get this knowledge directly from the game would undoubtedly be very helpful.

Not an option anymore, the Quest is locked behind the Uranus Junction.

Good thing DE fixed this issue, otherwise new players would just be even more confused. xD

Edited by RainPU2