Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Getting ready for New War

Raven3r48

Question

Hello again guys.

So, I really enjoy for some time doing my weekly and daily missions or leveling and obtaining new warframes in Duviri.

My next quest should be New War, I strugled a bit with Heciphron to obtain a Nechramech so I eventually bought that part from market.

Now, I know a lot of people complain that they are stuck at New War quest and that once you are in there is no way out. In order to prevent that, I started this topic.

Is there anything I should focus on leveling or learning before it? I am earning focus at Duviri and leveling my operator, I can play with several warframes and weapon types etc. I don't enjoy Railjack for example, is it necessary to learn that a little bit? Or anything else? 

6 answers to this question

Hello!

So without trying to spoil anything, some of my questions or points may seem a bit odd. For example, do you know what circle strafing is, and how to do it? How is your general ability to aim? 

In my experience, a lot of what had some people struggle with the New War, tended to be around certain skill sets, which sometimes, practiced and typical players of games, can often overlook, and take for granted, but may actually be a bigger deal for some certain people. So it usually wasn't an issue of gear, but potentially skill set, and practice, as well as expectations. 

Though I would also say, that knowing how Railjack works on a basic level, and having it levelled up a bit, will also definitely help. May be better to be over prepared than under prepared. if you would like more specifics on what may be issues, I can do that if you are okay with small spoilers. 

30 minutes ago, Raven3r48 said:

Hello again guys.

So, I really enjoy for some time doing my weekly and daily missions or leveling and obtaining new warframes in Duviri.

My next quest should be New War, I strugled a bit with Heciphron to obtain a Nechramech so I eventually bought that part from market.

Now, I know a lot of people complain that they are stuck at New War quest and that once you are in there is no way out. In order to prevent that, I started this topic.

Is there anything I should focus on leveling or learning before it? I am earning focus at Duviri and leveling my operator, I can play with several warframes and weapon types etc. I don't enjoy Railjack for example, is it necessary to learn that a little bit? Or anything else? 

RIP. My recommendation is look up "veso jackal fight" on youtube for starters and also have discord or someone in friendlist you can whisper, cause there is no other means of communication once youre in. One thing I can tell you, the quest is 99% NOT warframe gameplay, totally different, and when you finally get to play your warframe, it doesnt even matter how good it is. So yeah, thats about it, good luck. See you on the other side (or in the rage quit section) based on your performance.

About the aim, I am generaly FPS players so I guess I will do just fine.

Hm, if you mean by circle that boss fight mechanics Kela de Thaym I did it and realised it fast, it was epic fight, did it also few days ago on Sortie. 

So I will do some Railjack missions and level it up a bit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Raven3r48 said:

About the aim, I am generaly FPS players so I guess I will do just fine.

Hm, if you mean by circle that boss fight mechanics Kela de Thaym I did it and realised it fast, it was epic fight, did it also few days ago on Sortie. 

So I will do some Railjack missions and level it up a bit.

Circle strafing is more of a general video game technique. Those who play a lot of FPS players will likely know how to do it, you probably already know how to do it , with instinct and naturally. Just automatically. 

All it is, is moving left and right (strafing), but when you are moving, you maintain your aim and aiming reticle in one spot. At the enemy. You strafe, side to side, so the enemies, if they are using projectiles, may miss you, and or you can take cover, and then peek out. So you can avoid damage, and give damage. Well thats strafing, circle strafing, is if you keep moving around, in a circular way, so your character is always moving, but you are trying to keep your camera on the enemy, so you can continue to shoot them. 

Even though I wrote a lot trying to explain that, some people, and I would guess on your FPS experience, you just already know and do that, just subconsciously. 

Like you probably know what right side advantage is (in shooting games, many game characters hold guns with the right side, so on a map, with objects, like buildings, or trees, you may often peek on the right, but if your enemy is on the other side, they may have to peek with their left side, meaning they will expose more of their body... Then you also probably know what LOS is, line of sight, and how important cover can be... 

So such concepts, can also apply in Warframe, but also... you can just take Inaros, and a strong melee, and stand out in the open, and kill everything with powers and swords. That is a valid and legitimate game play stye. 

There are sections in New War though, where you can't just tank damage, like some people might be used to. If you have accessibility issues, or reflexes aren't the best, or maybe you get too stressed, if you feel too squishy, and it hinders your aim, it may mean you might struggle. 

For example, one person who couldn't past the New War, did post there video in the Forums, (a few did actually, and different people had some different issues), but the one I remember specifically, they didn't know how to strafe. They just stood out in the open, and tried to exchange damage with a boss. They did run sometimes, but usually backwards, and they would often take their camera off the boss, and run down dead ends... Which is a bad idea. If they could practice strafing and circle strafing, so avoid enemies damage, and keep your damage on enemy up... Plus use the in game geometry, and features, like large trees, as cover, they would probably succeed. Their aim was okay, they were just taking too much damage. 

If you sort of understand a lot of the terms and strategies I talked about, you will probably be totally fine. Most people I talked to who had issues with New War, often had accessibility issues, or inexperience with some of the terms or game ideas I mentioned above. Usually in Warframe, they had developed ways to avoid such strategies, like tanking, and or powers and abilities or AOE weapons etc. So New War taking away some of those tools, was an issue. 

Hope that sort of explains what was going on, without spoiling anything. 

4 minutes ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

Most people I talked to who had issues with New War, often had accessibility issues, or inexperience with some of the terms or game ideas I mentioned above. Usually in Warframe, they had developed ways to avoid such strategies, like tanking, and or powers and abilities or AOE weapons etc. So New War taking away some of those tools, was an issue. 

There is also another mechanic which is completely absent in Warframe and almost in typical FPS, but prevalent in WoW (any other mmorpgs) as well as soulslikes to some extent: countering action.

Boss starts doing something and unless you do certain move, use the right ability, stand in the right place or do not stand in the wrong place - the action will be executed with usually very unfavoured result for the player. In WoW it could be interrupting a boss Heal or Ressurection of minions. In Counter Strike it could be turning away from a flashbang. Bosses in New War have those special moves and they are pretty easily countered with given abilities, movement and positioning - but when someone is not used to this sort of reactive gameplay, patiently reading the enemy movements and reacting with action, playing as the main character all the time, they are completely lost.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zakkhar said:

There is also another mechanic which is completely absent in Warframe and almost in typical FPS, but prevalent in WoW (any other mmorpgs) as well as soulslikes to some extent: countering action.

Boss starts doing something and unless you do certain move, use the right ability, stand in the right place or do not stand in the wrong place - the action will be executed with usually very unfavoured result for the player. In WoW it could be interrupting a boss Heal or Ressurection of minions. In Counter Strike it could be turning away from a flashbang. Bosses in New War have those special moves and they are pretty easily countered with given abilities, movement and positioning - but when someone is not used to this sort of reactive gameplay, patiently reading the enemy movements and reacting with action, playing as the main character all the time, they are completely lost.

Excellent point. 

There will also be a section in New War where a character will give you advice. Its the sort of thing that many people can overlook or forget, but it will give you some understanding on how to come up with effective strategies, like mentioned above, as far as counter play. 

OP, don't feel the need to listen to every character, as if they all have vital information, but if you do get stuck, just post in here, and one of us can either remind you of what they said, or just give more direct and specific tips.