Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt feedback

Ventura_Highway

tldr; he is ok, good even, if reworks were prioritized on a need-for basis he'd probably wait a little longer than average but it'd be nice if he had more going for him and more was done to distinguish him from, particularly gauss (also speed themed) and gyre (lightning themed)

his passive takes about ~6 to 10 second to charge up (took about 9 seconds on a build with 144% strength and 1 sprint speed) to deliver the full 1000 damage. at minimum. my incarnon braton does ~7000 damage, per bullet, and it fires about 17.5 of them per second. this passive is insignificant. if the passive somehow got bugged and didn't work but still displayed, no one would notice.

shock is not an ability. the synergies suck. the augment is not to my taste but acknowledged as good

speed is obviously quite good and a major reason to play volt. i have considered before that some people find the various speed increases too extreme and i've had moments where having a volt on the squad spoiled the "large hunk of iron" feel i was going for on the greatsword build i was using at the time, but there is not a solution here i can think of that would satisfy everyone.

electric shield's stationary form has become increasingly outdated. prior to writing this i had tried to corner camp with electric shield out as I had done in the past, only for a jade eximus to burn me from above. in between eximi seemingly ignoring a lot of directional defenses and warframe's increasing de-emphasis on stationary objectives, the stationary version has solidly become less of a shield and more of a crit and electrical damage lens, one that makes you a sitting duck for eximi abilities i might add.

discharge, works and is a decent tool for making trash enemies hold still for incarnon charge or just die but requires a lot of ability range to do its job well. since this is the sole reason you'd want more range on volt afaik (i suppose more range makes applying speed to everyone easier), this is somewhat troublesome

Edited by Ventura_Highway

His passive isn't good I agree.
Shock is fine as is, and once Pablo goes through with his Augment rework, the augment for this will be insane for Melee Influence builds.
For the Speed buff, DE just needs to make an accessibility feature that hard caps the speed for that player on that frame.
The shield can be picked up, the only way they could keep it in the kit without changing it's design would to be that it moves to protect the player from a certain direction when layyed down. It can then move a little to protect the player from angles.
You want range for the second as well, but range is so important here, because Archon Stretch exists. You basically have innate energy regen.

12 minutes ago, (XBOX)elementXGHILLIE said:

Shock is fine as is, and once Pablo goes through with his Augment rework, the augment for this will be insane for Melee Influence builds.

I deeply disagree with the notion that abilities should not be changed because they have an augment that fixes the problem.

Let me put it like this: in another timeline, Volt has, for his 1, the ability to make his squad do electrical damage, basically Shock Trooper, and the augment is that he can hold down to shoot an electrical current, basically Shock. I am sure that no one would equip that augment. I'm sure that in that timeline someone is griping on the forums "Why the hell did you even bother programming and animating this?" Can we just agree that Shock's baseline functionality is nigh-worthless?

19 minutes ago, (XBOX)elementXGHILLIE said:

The shield can be picked up, the only way they could keep it in the kit without changing it's design would to be that it moves to protect the player from a certain direction when layyed down. It can then move a little to protect the player from angles.

This does not work. Eximi aoes still hit you. I just tested that while writing this.

20 minutes ago, (XBOX)elementXGHILLIE said:

You want range for the second as well, but range is so important here, because Archon Stretch exists. You basically have innate energy regen.

That's valid, and I was going to actually edit that in before I saw your comment, but that mod comes from very late in the progression and Volt is a starter Warframe. I don't like telling people that everything will be fine if you just do all the requirements to start the New War, get through, then grind the Veilbreaker syndicate.

As a Volt main, I appreciate your feedback, but at the same time, I can see your experience with Volt was only on the surface level. Perhaps you had wrong expectations? Volt is a very versatile frame who is only limited by its own user and the occasional Infested Toxin slap.

I will agree his Passive seems lackluster and it will become mostly obsolete if/when Pablo changes Shock Trooper. In it's current state, it provides an additional Electric proc on your enemies which ignores weapon mods. It buffs your CO mods for each step you make. With Transistor Shield you get a nearly permanent 1000 Electric damage buff to all your shots.

Shock is a CC tool which has it's value in being a one handed action. It's what you use when you are reloading your weapon in order to stun your enemies and keep the damage going.

Speed is the trouble child. The buffs are great, I personally love the reload speed buff the most, but I understand there are people who don't appreciate it. That's not an issue with the ability itself though. It's a problem inherent to Warframe itself. The game has too big build variety so we can get into the silly territory of unwanted buffs. DE has to address this on their level. Not Volt's fault.

Electric Shield doubles your Critical Damage and works on the Operator Amp as well. This is huge! You can deploy it and hide in a corner, yes, but it's main utility lies in blocking passages or covering your back. Incoming enemies? Put the Electric Shield in their path. They won't be able to shoot you but you can shoot them. Enemies coming at you from front and back? Deploy the shield and move through it. Now the enemies behind you can't hurt you while you slaughter the poor sods in front of you. Protecting something but there's no Frost or Gara? Electric Shield is good enough for protecting targets too. Wanna rush through the map? It knocks down all enemies in your path when you carry it.

Discharge can be used to nuke, even high lvl SP enemies if you set it up correctly, but it's main use is as a CC and survivability tool. It's CC is unique in the way it works on some otherwise CC immune enemies, such as Liches, Acolytes, and some bosses. With the Augment, it can provide Overshields to the whole team, which is awesome, but it was overshadowed by abilities providing Overguard.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, (PSN)Sentiel said:

As a Volt main, I appreciate your feedback, but at the same time, I can see your experience with Volt was only on the surface level. Perhaps you had wrong expectations? Volt is a very versatile frame who is only limited by its own user and the occasional Infested Toxin slap.

You are absolutely wrong and absolutely nothing you've written is news to me, or is otherwise previously rebutted. I can friend you in game so that you can look at my profile and see that I have more kills and experience on Volt + Volt Prime combined than any other Warframe + Prime. A lot of the things you mentioned, I dismiss because I have played most other Warframes and am keenly aware that there are other Warframes that do that thing and vastly more or simply became a lot more trivial in this age of Warframe.

56 minutes ago, (PSN)Sentiel said:

Shock is a CC tool which has it's value in being a one handed action. It's what you use when you are reloading your weapon in order to stun your enemies and keep the damage going.

In particular, let me tell you everything I'm aware of that you could have done for 25 with a different Warframe that didn't have a waste of a power slot.

You could have done the same thing CC targets, in a sphere or cone shaped area, for an longer duration with Harrow, Titania, Ivara, Inaros or Equinox with extra Shields back in the case of Harrow. Yareli could also CC a similar number of enemies and inflict damage vuln on anything stun-immune, like Overguard enemies.

You could have mind-controlled one or more enemies, in effect killing them or rendering them a non-threat with Revenant or Nyx.

You could have gathered and stunned all enemies in a sizeable radius with Nidus, Mag or Styanax

You could have played Protea, Gyre, or Qorvex and set up a damage/status field, now everything in this area is either dead or about to die for the next half-minute.

You could have activated Mirage or Xaku's damage buffs and killed the thing even faster instead of needing to reload at all.

And if you'd used Lavos' 1st ability, which is free with a four second cooldown, they would be stunned, take more damage and be open to finishers.

Not every Warframe has a similar first ability, but I guarantee you between abilities with similar application, if we could quantify Shock's overall efficacy, it'd be in the bottom 20%

EDIT: Another problem with Shock is that generally, the only kind of units I have to pay attention to are ones with Overguard. Generally, when I go into a level, there are a lot of trash enemies which I do not really have to pay attention to, that basically die if I sneeze in their general direction, and Overguarded enemies. These guys can't be stunned, so Shock doesn't stun, and it doesn't contribute at all damagewise to removing an Overguard bar which is measured in the hundreds of thousands. And if I needed to let a stun out, that is what Discharge does to the trash enemies it doesn't outright kill.

Edited by Ventura_Highway