The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Console...war?

FrothingLoins

Has a don't understand.

http://www.hwcompare.com/14795/geforce-gtx-760-vs-radeon-hd-7790/

That is a comparison between the most accessable Mid-range graphiics card and the brand new, super cool omfgwhat XBOX one's APU (Or at least it's equivalent in a desktop graphics card.)

The GTX 760 is the Mid-range graphics card, the 7790 the Xbox one's APU gpu portion.

Sawce: http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/156273-xbox-720-vs-ps4-vs-pc-how-the-hardware-specs-compare

So yeah...About that "next gen". The fact that the newest and most powerful iteration of console hardware is literally 3 years behind the curve is pretty embarassing.

PC has never been a part of the console war, because it's always been the most powerful (not the least expensive, the most powerful).  Console war = Sony's Playstation vs Microsoft's Xbox (and Nintendo's Wii, I suppose.)

In case you didn't know.

PC has never been a part of the console war, because it's always been the most powerful (not the least expensive, the most powerful).  Console war = Sony's Playstation vs Microsoft's Xbox (and Nintendo's Wii, I suppose.)

In case you didn't know.

I'm just saying why does it even exist?

OP its a Console War, home console, video game console. Up until this generation the Hardware wasn't even close to what a full PC was using.

The question is if alternative venues like the SteamOS/SteamBox will change the dynamic of the console war and see bleed over into how PCs can be slowly upgraded over time vs 5 to 10 year hardware locked boxes.

they better get some games soon or they will die like the ps vita and wiiU

This always happens when a new console launches. Look at it from a numbers standpoint. The install base on the PS3/Xbox360 is MASSIVE. People are still buying those machines, big companies don't ignore that. Sony wanted the PS3 to have a 10 year lifespan, which means it is still going to be on the market for a while at least 3 to 4 more years of support and if it keeps rolling like the PS2 many many more years after.

Remember how &!$$ poor the launch title line was for the last gen?

Edited by Brasten

I'm just saying why does it even exist?

Because consoles offer a relatively inexpensive option for gaming as compared to PC gaming.  As such, it's much more accessible, essentially having a larger market overall.  I'd wager the larger share of the market, however, will generally only buy one console in a generation, and as such the companies are competing to get the business of those people.  The rest spins out of the natural desire to see your decisions as being the right ones.

Additionally, it is a mistake to directly compare the hardware of consoles and PCs; the standardization of consoles allows for the use of a much lesser degree of abstraction, and thus allowing much more performance to be cranked out than could be done with the same hardware on PCs.

Additionally, it is a mistake to directly compare the hardware of consoles and PCs; the standardization of consoles allows for the use of a much lesser degree of abstraction, and thus allowing much more performance to be cranked out than could be done with the same hardware on PCs.

Lolwut?

I just like sitting on my couch and looking at a big screen when I play video games, so I prefer playing on a console.  

That being said, I haven't had a console since I was in high school (7 years ago) with the PS2.  I never got the PS3.  I do have the PS4 and it's awesome.  Warframe is the only PC game I play, everything else will probably end up being on the PS4.

Because consoles offer a relatively inexpensive option for gaming as compared to PC gaming.  As such, it's much more accessible, essentially having a larger market overall.  I'd wager the larger share of the market, however, will generally only buy one console in a generation, and as such the companies are competing to get the business of those people.  The rest spins out of the natural desire to see your decisions as being the right ones.

And that was all true and nice until this generation attacked.

Consoles now use the same architecture as PC, which means there won't be a "Wait till they learn how to use the damn thing" curve like PS3/2. There's also the fact that they aren't all that accessible anymore, for the same money you can get a whole PC. Hell, MY computer can kick the PS4's &#! any day of the week and it's 4 years old.

Edited by Ayraclus

for the same money you can get a whole PC. Hell, MY computer can kick the PS4's &#! any day of the week and it's 4 years old.

Depends on how you do the build. Currently for the price point and performance the PS4 is not a bad machine. It's not GREAT, but its not BAD, for a PC. It's actually kinda hard to get that 400 dollar price with those specs currently. If you double to 800 you blow the PS4 out of the water and never look back. (also an aside, the PS4 comes with 60 dollar controller 'free', so let that mess with your build price).

That said, the PS4 and its 100% totally not upgradable (besides hard drive) setup means that likely by this time next year we'll hit that 400 dollar price point on a custom built PC, OR one that's better.