The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ign Review On Warframe

Eremes

Not a fan of IGN as like with most review sites they seem to say what the big developers want them to say but this review was pretty spot on.  All the good things about warframe - gameplay (which hopefully is not altered as radically in the future) and the bad parts being anything good as far as storyline and scenes seem to be on Youtube and twitch tv, not in the game.

Every session you log in, you know exactly what you are getting, no surprises (not even in events) and no story twists and turns as there simply is no story.

As a moneymaker the game has been bogged down in the latest greatest item selling.  More mastery at a bare minimum on a new item.  Very little story comes out with a piece of gear including Zanuka.  I still find no explanation in game what Valkyr has to do with Zanuka and why was mag on Alad's table.  Also why was Zanuka successful after the gravidus conflict was won by the grineer?

In any event DE can capitalize on all walks of players by taking a step back from expanding the massive item database and focus on actually inviting new players to the game and introducing the conflict in Warframe via story line, but for that to happen DE needs to know it all means and the recent changes to the Infestation faction (no longer a faction? even though the big ones are smart enough to talk to us?) and reasons why the Corpus and Grineer are fighting eachother and the tenno.  Why the orokin (insert anything here) are so important besides a more unique texture and mesh on an item.

The game being repetitive is not a problem if there would be more than 5 second intros to bosses.  Understanding who is sending us to kill them and why is important even if it is all a lie that will be later contradicted in some plot twist.

As of now, the motivation is grind to grind to grind.  Most items literally are only artistically different.  The numbers and modifiers are so small in damage 2.0 that any unique loadout from player to player is lost.  Forma was probably DE's best seller prior to 2.0 dmg, but now I just find myself using default weapon loadouts and if I need to kill grineer vs corpus I just swithc to another weapon with default stats better suited since formaing up a weapon really will not make it more potent nowadays since most the mods you add literally only increase fractions of effectives.  Put plus %60 impact damage on a weapin with 2.4 impact damage since no other mods will help at all?  Not worth the forma.

Anyway for once IGN is spot on and I hope Warframe gets some of the things it is lacking like story and purpose.

Dante130666, on 05 Dec 2013 - 2:36 PM, said:

Hi. Many of you may have seen this review and get &!$$ed about it ill just put it in details.

Those f*&^#%g idiots in IGN dont even know how to review a game. This review isnt the only case.

Thay miss a lot of good stuff and dont even know how the game is played or pay module is.

Guys I just want for everyone to know this game better and i would like to check the comments of this review.

I hope in future, generally IGN will get more info before reviewing a game.

Feel free to leave your comments.

actually that was a pretty decent review

i dont expect a newcomer to the game to have the depth of understanding that i have 700+ hrs in

additionally some of the complaints that myself and many other closed beta players STILL HAVE, are still largely un-addressed ingame (chat just got a MINOR upgrade, but its still horribly unfriendly to use)

while i am by no means a fan of IGN or most game review media, this review identified many problem areas (the HORRID market prices, and incredibly unfriendly experience to the new player) correctly and succinctly

+1 IGN in this case

DE u better step yer game up, srsly, more copy/paste weapons and Tenno re-inforcements are not going to cut it

i realize that industry "experts" told you content is everything (ie constantly putting out new S#&$), but they were not entirely correct

Well, I love the game, but the review is spot on.

^^^^^ exactly

Edited by CY13ERPUNK

He got some point : 

No explanation how thing work (Myself had to figure that i could put mods ,and what was the use of polarity...)

You kill , save hostage etc i dont know what to say , he was expecting us to go fish in space?

Price well atleast is not only  PC version price 

This dude have some serious problem with leveling ...is ps4 version got even more nerf xp?

The problem with this review (like all reviews) is they are subjective to the person making the review.  These reviews cannot pass along what it feels like to play any game.  It's like a movie critic who bashes a movie and say how bad it is, but when I go see it for myself can't understand how or why a critic would think so badly of the movie.  Then I realize it's because no other human being is like me at all, not even remotely close in any way, shape or form.   My mind, what I enjoy, my level of patience, my dedication, my desire to learn, my passion for games of all types...none of that can be accurately conveyed through the experiences of some reviewer because the only way it could be possible for them to do so is to think, act, feel and believe like me 100%...and since we are not robotics and are unique in most ways, a review does absolutely nothing for me except help me understand the way the reviewer enjoys playing games.

Bottom line, no review has ever influenced me to play or not play a game...but maybe I'm unique in that I approach everything with an open mind...I don't play any game with expectations of any sort...I just let the game prove to me what it is or isn't.  The moment I go in with the expectation of something, that's the moment the game becomes a total failure because most of expectation is assumption, and assumption is wrong 99% of the time.

It seems that several of these reviews - from relatively big-name companies - have been putting down Warframe despite high rankings on Steam, Raptr, etc.

I do think that the most important thing to come out of this is that the new player experience is pretty bad. The weapons got power creeped, there is no indication of what is good and what is bad, you need potatoes but no one tells you how to get them, how modding works, and it may be hard to acquire materials for a weapon when several of the newer ones [or even older ones] have absurd requirements like 4 Neurodes which is not helpful for a new player.

Of course you can. You don't need to be a chef to know if food tastes good or bad. 

No , but it takes one to make an evaluation and give it a score.That's why in every food tasting competition they don't take random people from the street to make an evaluation and hand on the awards.

You can't critisise something you don't understand the same way you can't make reviews without knowing the game.

The problem with this review (like all reviews) is they are subjective to the person making the review.  These reviews cannot pass along what it feels like to play any game.  It's like a movie critic who bashes a movie and say how bad it is, but when I go see it for myself can't understand how or why a critic would think so badly of the movie.  Then I realize it's because no other human being is like me at all, not even remotely close in any way, shape or form.   My mind, what I enjoy, my level of patience, my dedication, my desire to learn, my passion for games of all types...none of that can be accurately conveyed through the experiences of some reviewer because the only way it could be possible for them to do so is to think, act, feel and believe like me 100%...and since we are not robotics and are unique in most ways, a review does absolutely nothing for me except help me understand the way the reviewer enjoys playing games.

I do believe this is the word you are looking for.

7.5 seems about right. I would personally score Warframe 7, that is game with good parts but a lot of tedium and hoops you need to jump through to get to those parts.

IGN is pretty terrible site for many reasons, but this review ain't one of them.

No , but it takes one to make an evaluation and give it a score.That's why in every food tasting competition they don't take random people from the street to make an evaluation and hand on the awards.

You can't critisise something you don't understand the same way you can't make reviews without knowing the game.

Actually there are contests that do do that. If you make a product for everyone then everyone should be allowed to review it. You might not get very in depth comments about game play but their experience and opinions on the product are just as valid as everyone elses. Actually I think a laymans opinion on games is more valid than a developers or a professionals. 

Actually there are contests that do do that. If you make a product for everyone then everyone should be allowed to review it. You might not get very in depth comments about game play but their experience and opinions on the product are just as valid as everyone elses. Actually I think a laymans opinion on games is more valid than a developers or a professionals. 

Agreed, You need to be able to impress the average joe just as much as the big wigs, especially since the average joe will more than likely be making up the most substantial portion of your products sales.

Edited by ToeSama

They gavr a lot if hate on the gane the reason for this is that for console games people are a little more willing to pay. In this case people dont see free to plays as they are, but just a game that can be made into cheats you pay for(like DLC) so you dont have to do work. Overall I have almost 600 hours is yhis game. I also read ehat oyher people yhink about I. I was also angered by this. They talked about the story and how its bad, but it is a unfin8shed beta.

You know something needs to be fixed when players can agree with IGN's reviews.

They gavr a lot if hate on the gane the reason for this is that for console games people are a little more willing to pay. In this case people dont see free to plays as they are, but just a game that can be made into cheats you pay for(like DLC) so you dont have to do work. Overall I have almost 600 hours is yhis game. I also read ehat oyher people yhink about I. I was also angered by this. They talked about the story and how its bad, but it is a unfin8shed beta.

"But it's beta!" Can only go so far. These aren't problems that are new, but problems that have been around for months and months.

Not any serious competition that i know of or participated in.That's why they're irrelevant and not realy a competion.They're more for show and having fun, hiding under the pretense of a competition.

It's imperative that you know the game to make a review.Otherwise it's not a review.Call it a first look , let's play series but most definitely not a review.You can stretch it and make it look like one but ultimately it is not.

You know , a re-view implies you know the game and make an evaluation.You cannot ascertain its value or what it's worth if you're clueless.

Not any serious competition that i know of or participated in.That's why they're irrelevant and not realy a competion.They're more for show and having fun, hiding under the pretense of a competition.

It's imperative that you know the game to make a review.Otherwise it's not a review.Call it a first look , let's play series but most definitely not a review.You can stretch it and make it look like one but ultimately it is not.

You know , a re-view implies you know the game and make an evaluation.You cannot ascertain its value or what it's worth if you're clueless.

This is videogames we're talking about. The reviewers for major sites have deadlines and quotas to meet so they can't spend that much time for each game they review. And even then, reviewing games isn't exactly rocket science, you basically say what you do in game and what you thought about it.

I thought the review brought up some valid points. It got a few things wrong, like the fact that the enemies aren't aliens (which is never explained ingame I might add), but they really nailed some of this game's key flaws.

The biggest issue I have with this game, which was brought up in the review, is how ridiculously expensive and poorly thought out the platinum costs are. To anyone who says otherwise, let me point out that a Skana costs more than a Dual Skana, and 10 dollars overall, which is madly overpriced for the game's worst melee weapon. 

The lack of explanation about the game's key features is another problem. Its easy for us who frequent the forum, but most players do not, and end up struggling to figure out very important aspects of the game. Unlike the pricing problem, this issue will probably get fixed, so I don't consider it TOO much of an issue.

The lack of mission variety is another issue that I agreed with. However the devs said they are working to fix that.

7.5 seems actually rather generous considering some of the points they brought up in the review. This game is great, but is much to flawed to be given a higher score than that. I'd actually see a good justification for giving it a score as low as a 5.5 or a 6 given the game's current state But for a game that is still largely unfinished, a 7.5 score is pretty good.