Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Free Players, Shouldn't Have To Feel Forced, To Buy Platinum.

Naso

Hey guys,

What I want to talk about here is, that feeling that you get, when you are playing a free to play game and it makes you feel like you are forced to spend real money on it, because if you don't, there's no other alternative.

This is all coming from my experience as a free player in Warframe so far. I have 24+ hours into the game, and it's a lot of fun, there are still some things that could use some obvious changes, but I'm sure they will be covered somewhere.

At this moment in the game for me, I'm stuck with no way out. What's limiting me from enjoying more of the game, is inventory space. There's no other way to get it, other than spending real money. Sure, players get free 50 platinum when they first start out, but most of them probably learn that they need catalyst early on and spend it on that. After playing the game and enjoying it, they come to a stand still, like I did. Not enough inventory space, be it for guns, or frames it's a necessity. With no other way of getting more of it, It feels like I'm pinned into a corner, stuck, with no way out, other than buying platinum. That's' not what a good free to play game should make it's free players go through.

I really want this game to succeed because it's a lot of fun, and can see it going places with the right advertisement and improvements. A simple solution would just to make inventory space attainable via lots of credits. But I want to hear what you guys think about this topic?

Thanks a lot for reading.

-Naso

Inb4 lots of things.

Inventory slots are known as a problem aleady by the DE team and has been discussed. At the moment, you do have another option, sell some weapons to open up slots. Everyone that has been apart of the forums knows it's hard to do, but you are not forced to buy platinum to buy slots.

I think slots is one of the main ways DE is making money, besides cosmetic items, and the catalysts/reactors. In the end it will be DE's choice in the matter, but they are working on a solution to the problem.

Hey guys,

What I want to talk about here is, that feeling that you get, when you are playing a free to play game and it makes you feel like you are forced to spend real money on it, because if you don't, there's no other alternative.

This is all coming from my experience as a free player in Warframe so far. I have 24+ hours into the game, and it's a lot of fun, there are still some things that could use some obvious changes, but I'm sure they will be covered somewhere.

At this moment in the game for me, I'm stuck with no way out. What's limiting me from enjoying more of the game, is inventory space. There's no other way to get it, other than spending real money. Sure, players get free 50 platinum when they first start out, but most of them probably learn that they need catalyst early on and spend it on that. After playing the game and enjoying it, they come to a stand still, like I did. Not enough inventory space, be it for guns, or frames it's a necessity. With no other way of getting more of it, It feels like I'm pinned into a corner, stuck, with no way out, other than buying platinum. That's' not what a good free to play game should make it's free players go through.

I really want this game to succeed because it's a lot of fun, and can see it going places with the right advertisement and improvements. A simple solution would just to make inventory space attainable via lots of credits. But I want to hear what you guys think about this topic?

-Naso

Credits are so easy to obtain and the company has to make money so.... I dont see the real problem. You want better weapons? craft them and sell your old ones, done.

Well I realized this and spent all my free plat on slots for more frames. I'm also still kind of stuck. I've learned that without catalysts and reactors you're at a huge disadvantage at all the higher level planets. As well as not being able to use every frames most powerfulI and usefull skill. I also learned that without a reactor mag is next to useless.

Currently the only benfit to leveling up past lvl 15 is that i get to use higher level mods. With the mod system going away I really hope that I wont be reduced to all my weapons and frames being effectively stuck at lvl 15 till the RNG decides to give me a reactor or catalyst.

Edited by Akularael

Well I realized this and spent all my free plat on slots for more frames. I'm also still kind of stuck. I've learned that without catalysts and reactors you're at a huge disadvantage at all the higher level planets. As well as not being able to use every frames most powerfulI and usefull skill. I also learned that without a reactor mag is next to useless.

Currently the only benfit to leveling up past lvl 15 is that i get to use higher level mods. With the mod system going away I really hope that I wont be reduced to all my weapons and frames being effectively stuck at lvl 15 till the RNG decides to give me a reactor or catalyst.

Do ? missions and get the blueprints. Im sittin on 3 reactors and 2 catalysts, without buying them..... And since the catalysts and reactors will remain in update 7, you should start searching for the blueprints....

Do ? missions and get the blueprints. Im sittin on 3 reactors and 2 catalysts, without buying them..... And since the catalysts and reactors will remain in update 7, you should start searching for the blueprints....

lol.

Im on that 24/7 ive got my phone set up with an alarm that doesn't go away untill i look at it on every ? alert forum post. I'm not sure how long you've been playing but aside from the special mission from the devs there hasn't been a reactor ? alert in a month according to the forums. Catalysts are more common, but aside from the most recent one they're also before my time here.

And i know there are the alerts and possibly from login rewards too. The problem is in my case I haven't been playing for too long but I've already got 60+ hours of gametime in. I'm literally just waiting on some orokin tech to progress.

What I'd really like is some way to actually earn a reactor or catalyst in game. Maybe make every 2nd or 3rd mastery rank award one or something. I'm not asking for it to be easy. Make it hard as S#&$ to get one if necessary. Really just anything I could DO to get one.

Edited by Akularael

lol.

Im on that 24/7 ive got my phone set up with an alarm that doesn't go away untill i look at it on every ? alert forum post. I'm not sure how long you've been playing but aside from the special mission from the devs there hasn't been a reactor ? alert in a month according to the forums. Catalysts are more common, but aside from the most recent one they're also before my time here.

I am not 24/7 either and only so far run 1 alert with Reactor (one that was after livestream). Still I have 2 reactors and 4 catalysts in inventory without buying them. That "firs login" roulet actually works if you click on Oroki image while it spinns. So yes, its kinda hectic and random - but hell free is free.

I am a huge fan of the F2P model. It allows people to pay as much or as little as they either can or want, whatever the case may be. With that being said, we as gamers have to understand 2 things: No company (gaming or otherwise) can survive without income; and microtransactions are an essential part of the F2P model. The devs give you all the games content, and I do mean ALL of it, for free. The only thing they are selling is convenience. Is it a hassel to have limited frame/item slots? Yes it is. Is it a pain to farm out the bps for catalyst and reactors? Yes it is. You can however pay to have these conveniently given to u. That is not too much to ask for.

You say that you want to see the game succeed, but how can it if there is no incentive for players to spend money?

Edited by bptamblyn

I am a huge fan of the F2P model. It allows people to pay as much or as little as they either can or want, whatever the case may be. With that being said, we as gamers have to understand 2 things: No company (gaming or otherwise) can survive without income; and microtransactions are an essential part of the F2P model. The devs give you all the games content, and I do mean ALL of it, for free. The only thing they are selling is convenience. Is it a hassel to have limited frame/item slots? Yes it is. Is it a pain to farm out the bps for catalyst and reactors? Yes it is. You can however pay to have these conveniently given to u. That is not too much to ask for.

Well I think you sum this up very well my friend ;)

I find this may be an issue, but as has already been stated, DE need to make money for this game else they won't be able to keep adding more content, so yes, some people are unfortunate and have to make do with less, but those that give in and buy platuinum provide DE with the resources they need to keep adding more awesome FREE content. You are already getting an entire game for free with loads of awesome content. It's really not going to kill you to either accept that you will have limited inventory, or save up and spring for a little platinum, either way, asking DE to cut their own profits so that you get more free stuff is unreasonable. Sure, maybe in future updates reactors and catalyasts may be easier to obtain for free, or maybe if DE earns enough from the beta they'll give all you testers loads more free stuff, maybe even inventory slots, but personally, I bought the Grandmaster founders pack to support DE and the amazing work they're doing, not for the free stuff. I haven't seen anything else that gives the same level of free content so be happy with what you have and stop complaining please, it's juvenile.

I really want this game to succeed give me all for free because it's a lot of fun, and can see it going places with the right advertisement and improvements. A simple solution would just to make inventory space attainable via lots of credits. But I want to hear what you guys think about this topic?

-Naso

Cause right now its the only stuff you cant get for free. So 1kk credist for frame slot, with the removal of mods-farming in next update so you can get money only for finishing missions will be alright?

5$ - 75 plat.

3 warframes slots + 2 weapon slots

2 warframes slots + 4 weapon slots

1 warframe slot + 8 weapon slots.

And its enough basic space in inventory to keep two different loadouts. Ofcourse if you are hoarder - thats the problem, and yes this system is forcing you to DELETE stuff if you want more space but dont want to spend money but hell.

You can get ALL the content for free. You just cant have everything AT ONCE for free. Its a good system imo. Free-loaders are meant to be more limited in options. And here you HAVE ALL THE OPTIONS opened for you, you just need to decide what stuff is more imortant and throw garbage away.

Edited by derclaw

Nono, the limited inventory and frame space is fine, it limits you to to a couple of 'optimal' playstyles.

The problem is the items losing progress and potatoes. Would they be persistent and repurchased gear be with it's progress and potato in tact it would allow players to more readily explore both arsenals to find their favorites.

This would not bring a radical shift in the kinds of players that DE hopes to get profit from as they would still be the ones who want the convenience of a wider arsenal at hand to regularly shift their gameplay.

Edited by FirstToLast

The slot stuff is OK. What that isnt is the supercharging and stuff. Any player who cant play is not supposed to use 4th ability - i.e Ultimate skill ?

Thats sooo rude, that should change , slots and just fine !

I currently have two catalyst that I got via alerts. They are in storage waiting for the new frames. I wont buy the new frames either. I will farm them.

Edited by bptamblyn

It takes only a bit of patience to be able to get by in Warframe without using any plat. Anyone can survive on 2 frame slots and 8 weapon slots. Catalysts and Reactors are rare, but they are not plat only and don't force you to pay.

If you can just take your time, you will do fine. You do not have to supercharge to get through things. It's only a matter of convenience and practice.

Well, first of all, Warframe is FTP game and as a free to play game, the only way the are getting money to... You know, keep mantaining, running, updating and developing the game, is by people paying voluntary for some stuff. So the game MUST have players who donate money sometimes, otherwise, it will just die (I would mention a lot of FTP games I played, who died because of that, but I won't). So, spending money on a game your like is not a bad thing and Warframe is actually a really generous game, where you can get anything you want and I mean ANYTHING, just by playing it. Buy blueprints for game money, find blueprints in special "Alert!" missions, etc. Nobody is actually forcing you to pay anything, but people should pay sometimes... Otherwise, the game will die eventually.

Well, first of all, Warframe is FTP game and as a free to play game, the only way the are getting money to... You know, keep mantaining, running, updating and developing the game, is by people paying voluntary for some stuff. So the game MUST have players who donate money sometimes, otherwise, it will just die (I would mention a lot of FTP games I played, who died because of that, but I won't). So, spending money on a game your like is not a bad thing and Warframe is actually a really generous game, where you can get anything you want and I mean ANYTHING, just by playing it. Buy blueprints for game money, find blueprints in special "Alert!" missions, etc. Nobody is actually forcing you to pay anything, but people should pay sometimes... Otherwise, the game will die eventually.

Someone who understands the situation! =)

First of all, a free to play game shouldn't ever guilt-trip you into paying money because DEVS GOTTA EAT. Get outta here with that stupid rationale.

Second, there was a very detailed and well-written thread on here about how money-gating should be used as a gameplay expander, not a gameplay limiter. I should be happy to pay for something I want in order to check out different things, not feel like I have to pay something to get some arbitrary limitations removed from my game.

And last, there has only been a single orokin reactor blueprint event in the last month since I've started playing this game. And only because it was a special 12-hour dev promotion. This needs to change.