The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hacking Idea I'm Surprised Doesn't Already Exist.

Cobalt313

You know how hacking consoles always gets you "intrusion detected" no matter how quick you are with it? Turns out that's not based on time, that happens automatically after the third or fourth hexagon turned. But what if it wasn't?

What if intrusion detection happened after a certain amount of time rather than number of moves, and it was actually possible to hack a console undetected? Better yet, what if hacking a console fast enough sent out an all-clear signal, taking enemies off alert mode and making it like you hadn't been detected yet? Not only would this be handy for those who preferred stealth runs but would like more than one chance at one, but this would also give purpose to ciphers and hack time mods because frankly the hacking minigame on its own isn't hard at all and using those items is pretty much overkill.

What do you guys think, this sound useful?

1 - hacking a console that fast would be pointless, the only time you need to hack a console is if the enemy has locked down (so they already know you're there) or you're doing Survival (you want the enemy to know you're there).

2 - an All Clear and other related Stealth things are actually ideas Digital Extremes themselves have had! one of the past Streams. 

they want to do that too, don't worry.

1 - hacking a console that fast would be pointless, the only time you need to hack a console is if the enemy has locked down (so they already know you're there) or you're doing Survival (you want the enemy to know you're there).

2 - an All Clear and other related Stealth things are actually ideas Digital Extremes themselves have had! one of the past Streams. 

Well, the idea behind "speed = all clear" was that the enemy might know you aren't dead if there are enough left alive to notice, but the security system just notices the correct input came quickly enough that it must have been legit, meaning that must be a real all-clear signal being sent because an authorized operator has confirmed the intruder is dead. They would still have to and be able to manually re-enter the alert once they see you, but if for example you kill everyone in a room then hack fast enough for the all-clear then they would assume you've been killed until evidence says otherwise.

Oh well, at least it's nice to know I wasn't the only one that thought of that.

Actually, his idea makes sense. From the console's view, if you were able to hack that fast it wouldn't look like it had been hacked at all, and had instead been given a password to give an all-clear, which a Tenno most likely wouldn't know (cause Lotus doesn't tell us anything). And the only way a password could have been put in would have been if the threat had been removed.

TL:DR-Fast hack=password=no more Tenno=all clear

Actually, his idea makes sense.

only, when we can reset to All-Clear and etc.

the key part of what i said, is that currently, the only time you need to hack a console is either you've already been spotted, or you want to be spotted.

in how the game is at this very second, it's useless. that doesn't mean anything for the future, just right now.

only, when we can reset to All-Clear and etc.

the key part of what i said, is that currently, the only time you need to hack a console is either you've already been spotted, or you want to be spotted.

in how the game is at this very second, it's useless. that doesn't mean anything for the future, just right now.

Perhaps you could use a cipher to force the all-clear even if the door isn't locked?

Alternately, waiting for a room to lock could thematically make more sense as an all-clear coming from a locked room from whence your quarry could not have escaped is probably more convincing than one coming from an open hallway where nobody has reported back in a while.

Edited by Cobalt313

1. technically no... If you bust a window the enemy still has no idea that your there. So you can undo the lockdown and the enemies will still not know your there... Really.. (so intrusion detected could happen and enemies still don't know your there)

Also survival mode to cause the enemy to be alerted...

Edited by Arlayn

1. technically no... If you bust a window the enemy still has no idea that your there. So you can undo the lockdown and the enemies will still not know your there... Really.. (so intrusion detected could happen and enemies still don't know your there)

Also survival mode to cause the enemy to be alerted...

ah, you're right. i did forget about breaking windows. it happens much more rarely nowadays, i forget it's even there.

Survival mode is when 'you want to be spotted'. that was covered in what i said. 

ah, you're right. i did forget about breaking windows. it happens much more rarely nowadays, i forget it's even there.

Survival mode is when 'you want to be spotted'. that was covered in what i said. 

Yes. THAT would be an instance where the all-clear thingy wouldn't be of any use.

I have a friend with ADHD who either takes very long or sometimes actually fails at the hacking minigame because he clicks too many times on each tile. I swear cyphers and the hacking mods were made for him, hah

It's a good idea, I hope they do more with it. It's very neat, has a lot of potential uses like opening windows that suck out enemies into space, opening large cannisters of water to flood an area, drowning enemies in it, etc...

I have a friend with ADHD who either takes very long or sometimes actually fails at the hacking minigame because he clicks too many times on each tile. I swear cyphers and the hacking mods were made for him, hah

It's a good idea, I hope they do more with it. It's very neat, has a lot of potential uses like opening windows that suck out enemies into space, opening large cannisters of water to flood an area, drowning enemies in it, etc...

Traps that we can set off using consoles.

Yes please