The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Aquaphobia/bathophobia In Gaming - Your Experiences

Renathy

NOTE

Though the words seem over-exaggerated with this concept, I'm simply willing to keep them around for the reader to understand my point of view.

--

I fear water depth in gaming, and I'm probably the only one, right?

It's not a deep fear that instantly gets me to close the game and force me to cover myself in my bed sheets, no. - Not as deep as the meaning of Aquaphobia/Bathophobia anyhow.

Tell us your experiences with water and/or water depths in the game where you first noticed it. (Don't forget to mention the game, of course.)

Edited by JRMC

I remember getting worked up in Banjo Kazooie when you have to dive deep down under Clanker and swim through the key a few times, always hearing that darn air bar getting lower and lower, even if you keep getting the air bubbles provided.

Hydrophobia: Prophecy was not a great game for a survival TPS. The controls sucked and the levels were simple, the puzzles were infantile at best, but it was TERRIFYING. The sounds, the feel of water all around...

I am not hydrophobic/aquaphobic/whatever and I nearly WAS after playing that game.

Edited by Kalenath

In both reality and video games, the idea of going deep underwater isn't what petrifies me.  The knowledge that there could be things in said water that want to and are fully capable of eating or killing me, is what petrifies me.

Games like Far Cry 3 and AC4 would be the best examples.

I apparently was afraid of water as a kid due to having an incident that could lead to me drowning. Thankfully (I guess) I don't really remember it and am not afraid of water or swimming since elementary school or something.

However I do see logic in being afraid of things mentioned here:

In both reality and video games, the idea of going deep underwater isn't what petrifies me.  The knowledge that there could be things in said water that want to and are fully capable of eating or killing me, is what petrifies me.

Games like Far Cry 3 and AC4 would be the best examples.

And yeah, sharks in AC4 were kinda scary.

PS. Spiders, both IRL and in games (ugh skyrim) absolutely terrify me, so there's something for everyone I guess.

Edited by Shifted

My situation is a little weird, because I love the deep sea.

Infact, I'm even trying to work towards an occupation toward the discovery of new fish in the deepest parts of the ocean, mainly because I believe it holds the potential to harbour a beast of larger size than that of the blue whale, which I find fascinating.

And I would love to discover it.

Yet, in video games and in real life, I've discovered an innate fear of the sea.

Which displays itself in all video games that can show it.

Even in a game like Just Cause 2.

I tend to uncover a lot of weird exploits in that game, one in particular being this.

If you go to a military airport and stunt jump onto a jet that's already taking off, that jet will fly in one direction constantly until it flies into something or just endlessly miles off the map.

I flew about 30km from the mainland and jumped off, diving into the sea.

The fear arose as I tried to stay constantly diving down.

It's very deep, and turns out there's just nothing, but it was still an interesting venture.

Yet it does gave its upsides.

I'm starting to love games that utilise this fear and manifest it into its own little horror genre.

My favourite being the game "Ocean Rift" for the Oculus Rift.

That game is perfect for those who wish to enjoy their fear a bit more.

I remember playing Tomb Raider II , there are some underwater levels, wich had a creepy Atmosphere (backgroundmusic for Example was some Mix of creepy noises , breathing and Heartbeats) wich gave also a feeling of being trapped.

here the Music and just imaging some Dephts and being trapped in a sunken Ship

Edited by QuasarWolf