The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do You Consider De To Be An "indie" Developer?

FrothingLoins

I personally do not. Notch is an Indie developer. The team behind Terraria, Papers Please, Rogue Legacy and the likes of those on the STEAM greenlight are "Indie" developers.

I consider Digital Extremes to be a mainstream development team based on the fact that (If I understand correctly) a large portion of their core team had first hand experience with the development of the Unreal Engine.

The Unreal Engine is kind of a big deal. A really big deal. Shaped the history of video gaming kind of big deal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games

Discuss and fact-check!

"Indie" simply means independent. Regardless of your own personal connotations or feelings toward the word, Digital Extremes is very much an independent video games developer.

Independent from? The problem with "Indie" is it's nothing but a damn buzz word. It's thrown around about everything because people have an underdog complex. Some idiots out there probably still call RIOT Games an "indie" company even though LoL is an online juggernaut. When people think they are rooting for David and helping him defeat big bad Goliath they look at the subject matter through rosy tinted glasses.

Is Valve an "Indie" company? They're 100% self owned, always have been and aren't subsidized by  a major production company like Vivendi or EA or Ubisoft.

Edited by FrothingLoins

Publishers. The people who destroyed Dark Sector because they tried to change it into what they thought was popular.

So by that definition VALVE, one of the biggest names in gaming history is an indie company.

Like I said: David vs Goliath complex. Industry buzz-word.

It doesn't matter how powerful the company gets, if they're independant and self publishing they count as Indie.

Why would there be some kind of imaginary cutoff based on success anyway? If they're good enough they deserve to make a billion dollars.

Edited by ValhaHazred

It doesn't matter how powerful the company gets, if they're independant and self publishing they count as Indie.

Why would there be some kind of imaginary cutoff based on success anyway? If they're good enough they deserve to make a billion dollars.

The term independent indicates start-up and entry level with a small budget. It's the gaming industry's equivalent of a "Small business."

Yes.  Is that hard to grasp?

It is. The term independent or "indie" is primarily used to indicate small start-up companies with very little clout or previous industry experience. (such as aiding in the development of a historic game engine)  "Indie" developers are the gaming industry's equivalent of Mom&Pop grocers and other small businesses if you go by the predominant usage of the term. Applying this label to companies such as DE and VALVE is a stretch.

I realize VALVE is considerably larger than DE. But there's always a bigger fish.

Edited by FrothingLoins

"Indie" simply means independent. Regardless of your own personal connotations or feelings toward the word, Digital Extremes is very much an independent video games developer.

This. But there aren't exactly "indie" companies. "Indie titles" is the term you are looking for. These are titles (such as warframe) that were developed and distributed without the aid of a third party publisher.

This. But there aren't exactly "indie" companies. "Indie titles" is the term you are looking for. These are titles (such as warframe) that were developed and distributed without the aid of a third party publisher.

Hey renan! Looks like I ninja-ed in my own reinforcement post right before you reinforced that post. Edited by FrothingLoins