The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Api - Good Or Bad?

Bounty2K

I don't know if many of you thought that it would be a good ideea if warframe had an API then someone made a website or better yet a app for your phone or tablet to let you know of the Alerts or Operations. Never miss something big and the game would get much more traffic.

I don't know if warframe has or doesn't have a API

already been done several times

The author of one of the alert apps for Android, Warframe Utility, is trying to get DE to release an API. Alerts have been implemented before, but his app also has the full codex, a hacking mini-game, and a damage calculator. He says he is planning to implement a foundry manager, in which you could oversee and create new items away from your computer, as well as a mod system.

Quite a bit better than the official app :P

The author of one of the alert apps for Android, Warframe Utility, is trying to get DE to release an API. Alerts have been implemented before, but his app also has the full codex, a hacking mini-game, and a damage calculator. He says he is planning to implement a foundry manager, in which you could oversee and create new items away from your computer, as well as a mod system.

cant his dmg calc just pull figures direct from the wiki given that its updated rather quickly anyways.

minigame serves no real purpose and i doubt youd even need to copy the normal warframe minigame, theres been far better ones around since the C64 days in Paradroid (warframe, mass effect and others have had vastly simplified copies of this) and the likes which have had decent minigames for ages.

mod system again cant that just be plucked from the wiki, it would mean less work for the app author in future as the info/numbers are still done by other people anyways.

imho warframe doesnt have enough reason to warrant an external api at present, its not like its on the complexity or detail other gamers wanted in wow/eve online etc.  There are no "skills" to track/plan for, there is no market/auctions to check up on etc.

We have alerts to track already and at present thats pretty much all we need, there is nothing else present ingame to warrant the devs working on an API, id prefer they kept working on patches/updates and expansions tbh.

-snip-

I think I might not have worded my post correctly in some parts.

What I meant by damage calculation, is that he is trying to implement a system that calculates damage done against a specific enemy, as you add mods in real-time. Say you got a Burston. It shows the six slots for it, and below that, the damage output for every type of damage (slash, puncture, impact, elemental). You can select which enemy/boss to calculate against. If you tap on a slot, you can choose it's polarity and add any mod, and the damage output is adjusted accordingly. Quite useful if you want to see how different builds work against different enemies. Don't think that was implemented on the wiki, or at least, I didn't know how to use it.

However, I agree with you as far as the hacking mini-game is concerned. Hacking in Warframe is ridiculously easy, don't think I've taken more than 5 seconds for any cipher. The app is being continuously updated and worked on, so as soon as a new game update is rolled out, the app is updated with the new info, as well. If Warframe indeed ends up with a market/auction place, where you can bid in real-time away from your computer, that's when it'll become quite useful for a lot of people.

I'd like an API for foundry! Well, there is an alternative possibility of inputting the foundry list separately with the right timing, but an API would make it much more userfriendly.

Alert App I made like a year ago: http://www.kingtaro.com/warframe/

Just open in one of your browser tabs and let it run in the background and when an alert shows up, you'll get notified with this sound: http://www.kingtaro.com/warframe/mobile/apps/tada.mp3

/shameless-selfpromo

Edited by KingTaro

Wow, advertising done for me XD

cant his dmg calc just pull figures direct from the wiki given that its updated rather quickly anyways.

minigame serves no real purpose and i doubt youd even need to copy the normal warframe minigame, theres been far better ones around since the C64 days in Paradroid (warframe, mass effect and others have had vastly simplified copies of this) and the likes which have had decent minigames for ages.

mod system again cant that just be plucked from the wiki, it would mean less work for the app author in future as the info/numbers are still done by other people anyways.

imho warframe doesnt have enough reason to warrant an external api at present, its not like its on the complexity or detail other gamers wanted in wow/eve online etc.  There are no "skills" to track/plan for, there is no market/auctions to check up on etc.

We have alerts to track already and at present thats pretty much all we need, there is nothing else present ingame to warrant the devs working on an API, id prefer they kept working on patches/updates and expansions tbh.

Not sure if you've ever tried to write content scraping software for Wikia, but considering how frequently the mods on it seem to update the HTML elements in the page, it's actually more work for me to maintain the extraction code than to just add weapons into my database as they are added

Wow, advertising done for me XD

Not sure if you've ever tried to write content scraping software for Wikia, but considering how frequently the mods on it seem to update the HTML elements in the page, it's actually more work for me to maintain the extraction code than to just add weapons into my database as they are added

Unintentional :P

It's a good app. Credit where it's due.

Edited by doom.