Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"shotgun Spazz" Mod Name Change Request

ChazTargrin

what I'm trying to get at..

Everything is offensive !

I am offended by the invisible man in the sky.Should we ban religions?

No, it means I should keep it to myself.And so should you.

There's no limitation to what can become offensive.That's on you.

People need to stop putting their offense of a pedastal.You cannot campain against a problem at a personal level.

Do we wanna entertain this meaningless exercise or grow thicker skin?

All of this sounds like you're trying desparately to get me to shut up, but I'm afraid I am going to keep pushing (Though it's getting pretty late here and I'll need to go get some sleep soon.) I have pretty thick skin already, but discrimination against the mentally handicapped is a serious issue, and I feel that this is an issue that at least needs to be looked at.

Case in point: Left 4 Dead 2. A game about killing zombies, it's got an 18+ rating. The logo on the cover is of a zombie hand holding up two fingers. However, in the US version the logo has the hand facing the viewer knuckles first. In the UK, Valve changed the logo so that the hand faced the viewer palm-first, because the two-fingered salute is an offensive gesture over here. It's not 'political correctness gone mad' it's accomodating a different culture.

Also, I find it amusing that you were complaining about "freedom of speach" being infringed on in your previous post, and here you are telling me to keep something to myself even if it upsets me and I want to talk about it. Just sayin'.

is this #$%&@#* serious ????

this PC $#%%@#&! is getting out of hand in society wtf is wrong with u 

id down vote this until my fingers bleed if i could

@$%&*@$

Thank you for your valuable input.

Yeah man, just completely ignore that word that was created and is used today to belittle and dehumanize an entire group including yourself! Just grow thicker skin! --The rallying call of all who never had to or will have to deal with any of this crap.

Kinda a weak argument pal, may wanna rethink what you're trying to say.

And haha oh man invisible man in the sky, I can smell the doritos, mountain dew, and sweat stained fedora from here. Please say some more stuff, I can't wait for your reply

1 : an involuntary and abnormal muscular contraction

2 : a sudden violent and temporary effort, emotion, or sensation <a spasm of creativity> <spasms of pain>

Straight from Merriam-Webster. Spasm/spazzing was not made a derivative term, and to say so is incredibly ignorant. Before you attempt to belittle me with a "you don't have a handicap, you don't know how hurtful it can be." No, no I don't have a handicap. I won't pretend I do. But I can say that I've been a friend to a few people who do have handicaps, I've helped them, defended them, and learned a lot about the sort of things they deal with. Wanna know something? None of them are offended by none focused use of spastic/spasm/spaz. If they were to be called a spaz, yeah, they'd be hurt, but not if they were used to describe an item.

That said, I'm not against a name change. Tbh, something like Shotgun Blitz would sound a lot cooler.

Yeah man, just completely ignore that word that was created and is used today to belittle and dehumanize an entire group including yourself! Just grow thicker skin! --The rallying call of all who never had to or will have to deal with any of this crap.

Kinda a weak argument pal, may wanna rethink what you're trying to say.

And haha oh man invisible man in the sky, I can smell the doritos, mountain dew, and sweat stained fedora from here. Please say some more stuff, I can't wait for your reply

u mad bro?I think you're mad.

All of this sounds like you're trying desparately to get me to shut up, but I'm afraid I am going to keep pushing (Though it's getting pretty late here and I'll need to go get some sleep soon.) I have pretty thick skin already, but discrimination against the mentally handicapped is a serious issue, and I feel that this is an issue that at least needs to be looked at.

Case in point: Left 4 Dead 2. A game about killing zombies, it's got an 18+ rating. The logo on the cover is of a zombie hand holding up two fingers. However, in the US version the logo has the hand facing the viewer knuckles first. In the UK, Valve changed the logo so that the hand faced the viewer palm-first, because the two-fingered salute is an offensive gesture over here. It's not 'political correctness gone mad' it's accomodating a different culture.

Also, I find it amusing that you were complaining about "freedom of speach" being infringed on in your previous post, and here you are telling me to keep something to myself even if it upsets me and I want to talk about it. Just sayin'.

You are under the misguided impression that somehow because you're offended, the object of your offense is indepted to you.It's not.

It's a word describing an object.To call that discriminatory towards people is pretty stupid.

Also, I find it amusing how clueless you are about the freedom of speach.I never said you cannot speak your mind.All that I said was that you cannot mandate a censureship against something that is personal to you.Censorship is against freedom of speach.

Edited by Nnazqul

Gonna have to agree on that one. Where as I somewhat agree with zqul, that's not the way to go about it at all. (Siding with hax just to be clear)

wut?

what's wrong with not entertaining a troll

I think he's offended by what I said

I think he's religious

I think he's mad

u mad bro?

wut?

what's wrong with not entertaining a troll

I think he's offended by what I said

I think he's religious

I think he's mad

u mad bro?

What I think of people like you would earn me a mark on here, so I'm going to have to restrain myself. While OP might be over sensitive (no offense), you're being highly inconsiderate. While it's true that DE are not obligated to change something as small as this, as a customer, OP has a right to ask for a change, regardless of how unlikely the chances of getting it through are. You, however, do not have the right to act this way towards someone regardless of wether you agree or disagree with them. I'm not handicapped, as I said, and I've been quite offended by how little you've cared for how people might react to the word usage. Religion has no place in this discussion either, so please drop that right now.

/end mini mod rant that took way too much of my time

Edited by DeejayPwny

2 : a sudden violent and temporary effort, emotion, or sensation <a spasm of creativity> <spasms of pain>

Straight from Merriam-Webster. Spasm/spazzing was not made a derivative term, and to say so is incredibly ignorant. Before you attempt to belittle me with a "you don't have a handicap, you don't know how hurtful it can be." No, no I don't have a handicap. I won't pretend I do. But I can say that I've been a friend to a few people who do have handicaps, I've helped them, defended them, and learned a lot about the sort of things they deal with. Wanna know something? None of them are offended by none focused use of spastic/spasm/spaz. If they were to be called a spaz, yeah, they'd be hurt, but not if they were used to describe an item.

That said, I'm not against a name change. Tbh, something like Shotgun Blitz would sound a lot cooler.

Ah, I was hoping someone would get to this point. Merriam-Webster is the US dictionary, I was talking about the UK definition of spastic (Often shortened to spaz), which according to the Oxford dictionary, is:

1. Relating to or affected by muscle spasm.

1.1 Relating to or denoting a form of muscular weakness (Spastic paralysis), typical of cerebral palsy, caused by damage to the brain or spinal cord and involving reflex resistance to passive movement of the limbs and difficulty in initiating and controlling muscular movement.

1.2 (Of a person) affected with cerebral palsy.

1.3 (Informal - Offensive) Incompetent or uncoordinated.

As a further note:

"In the 1970s and 1980s, it became a term of abuse, used mainly by schoolchildren, directed towards any person regarded as incompetent or physically uncoordinated. Nowadays, the use of the word spastic, whether as a noun or as an adjective, is likely to cause offence, and it is preferable to use phrasing such as 'a person with cerebral palsy' instead."

(Source: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/spastic )

As I said in the original post, it's an offensive term in the UK, which is my basis for making this request.

You are under the misguided impression that somehow because you're offended, the object of your offense is indepted to you.It's not.

It's a word describing an object.To call that discriminatory towards people is pretty stupid.

Also, I find it amusing how clueless you are about the freedom of speach.I never said you cannot speak your mind.All that I said was that you cannot mandate a censureship against something that is personal to you.Censorship is against freedom of speach.

Okay, my patience is wearing thin, and I really do need to go sleep soon, but I'll play one more round of "Let's deconstruct Nyquil's points and correct his spelling on the way there".

-"You are under the misguided impression that somehow because you're offended, the object of your offense is indebted to you. It's not."

I did not say anywhere that the dev team were indebted to me - I merely asked that they take the other uses of the word into consideration, because I can't be the only person who saw the offensive side of the word. As I pointed out above, "Spastic" (and its contraction "Spaz") are both in the Oxford British English dictionary, listed as an offensive term. It ain't just me, buddy.

-"It's a word describing an object. To call that discriminatory towards people is pretty stupid."

No, the mod in question is describing the player's handling of the shotgun. One of the other shotgun mods you can get is "Shotgun Savvy" - that suggests your character is skilled in the usage of a shotgun, and they get this bonus. This one is "Shotgun Spazz" - that suggests your character is handling the shotgun in a foolish manner, in order to fire faster.

-"You cannot mandate a censorship against something that is personal to you. Censorship is against freedom of speech."

Again, I am not mandating anything here, I am making a simple request that the dev team consider an alternative word. It's amazing how many people rush into "OMG POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD SHUT UP" when I am simply trying to say "Hey, this might not be cool, you might want to rethink your phrasing."

u mad bro?I think you're mad.

Aaaand I think I'm done with you for the night. DeejayPwny is being more reasonable about this all (And HaxRabeed is a buddy of mine, he's a bit shorter on the fuse at the moment so excuse his outbursts.) I really should go sleep shortly, but it's been a blast.

Quick edit:

What I think of people like you would earn me a mark on here, so I'm going to have to restrain myself. While OP might be over sensitive (no offense), you're being highly inconsiderate. While it's true that DE are not obligated to change something as small as this, as a customer, OP has a right to ask for a change, regardless of how unlikely the chances of getting it through are. You, however, do not have the right to act this way towards someone regardless of wether you agree or disagree with them. I'm not handicapped, as I said, and I've been quite offended by how little you've cared for how people might react to the word usage. Religion has no place in this discussion either, so please drop that right now.

Thank you, Deejay. I don't expect my requested change to be made (I'm simply hoping that DE will at least acknowledge it, as I've said already), but the treatment I've recieved from other forum users has been bizarre, to say the least.

Edited by ChazGansir

What the..

You should go over the quotes again.

he made this remark about me

and I said ''I think he's mad''.

and I am more offensive?

wow , what world do you people live in.

My reply was not to the OP.

Edited by Nnazqul

What the..

You should go over the quotes again.

he made this remark about me

and I said ''I think he's mad''.

and I am more offensive?

wow , what world do you people live in.

My reply was not to the OP.

Did you try to maintain a reasonable composure? No. Therefore, you are being just as offensive as him

snip

Fair point. Edited by DeejayPwny

Did you try to maintain a reasonable composure? No. Therefore, you are being just as offensive as him

Reasonable composure?I asked if he's angry. I don't see how that makes me upset or disturbed.

And yes, you know, Mad =/= mentally ill.

Why would I call him mentaly ill?

He was rude and I don't have to entertain a discussion with him.

So what's this all about?

I think you owe someone an apology.

@ChazGansir

We all know what you're trying to do.Thing is, the momment you claimed what is offesive to you is the momment you lost all credibility.

Personaly, I like the mode's name and I don't want it changed.So there, that's my prerogative.Now there's absolutely no reason why your request makes more sense than mine.

At first I thought he was being oversensitive, so I went to Wikipedia. "Colloquially, the word spastic can be, but is not necessarily, pejorative; largely this depends on whether one understands the word as it is used in the United States or the United Kingdom. In British English today the mention of the word spastic is typically extremely inappropriate, as in the UK it is considered an offensive way to refer to disabled people."

Apparently it really is a very derogatory way to say retard in the UK.

why should people care what is offensive in your country or to you?

^ Really? In non-English speaking countries, F*** and S#&amp;&#036; aren't offensive. Different languages, different dialects; different words that are offensive. Since this an international game, I see no harm in changing a mod name it to not offend international players. In fact, not offending the locals is a very good business practice when localizing a product.

At first I thought he was being oversensitive, so I went to Wikipedia. "Colloquially, the word spastic can be, but is not necessarily, pejorative; largely this depends on whether one understands the word as it is used in the United States or the United Kingdom. In British English today the mention of the word spastic is typically extremely inappropriate, as in the UK it is considered an offensive way to refer to disabled people."

Apparently it really is a very derogatory way to say retard in the UK.

^ Really? In non-English speaking countries, F*** and S#&$ aren't offensive. Different languages, different dialects; different words that are offensive. Since this an international game, I see no harm in changing a mod name it to not offend international players. In fact, not offending the locals is a very good business practice when localizing a product.

The real question is why should I care about not offending you?

What I'm trying to get at again is..

''Everything is offensive !

I am offended by the invisible man in the sky.Should we ban religions?

No, it means I should keep it to myself.And so should you.

There's no limitation to what can become offensive.That's on you.

People need to stop putting their offense of a pedastal.You cannot campain against a problem at a personal level.

Do we wanna entertain this meaningless exercise or grow thicker skin?''

Of course DE might cave in to the ''request''.But not because you're right.Just because people are cry babies and DE doesn't wanna upset them.

I think you should get over yourselves.

You're offended , I'm laughing.

Edited by Nnazqul

mods that have the name of the Weapon Category in them sound silly. 

to me it sounds like trying to define a word by using the word.

also, i see the internet has procured a good number of people that are about as offensive in their discussion of a subject, as the actual subject.

we can't make small changes that can improve the game in different regions (even if unlikely to affect anything, it's not like someone is asking for the game to change names, it's a pretty simple change to change the name of a Mod) - but instead people will complain for whatever they feel is important, and consider it more important than anyone else's suggestion.

good job.

Saryn had a name change to avoid being named after a nerve gas - and there's no real problem with that, honestly i like Saryn better than Sarin. it sounds more like a name.

there's no reason why we can't avoid annoying people needlessly with software - and also improving the quality of the software in the process.

edit:

in reference to 'Nnazqul' - please stop spamming. if you cannot conduct yourself in a discussion, you aren't being forced to participate.

Edited by taiiat

edit:

in reference to 'Nnazqul' - please stop spamming. if you cannot conduct yourself in a discussion, you aren't being forced to participate.

In reference to what exacly?Where exacly am I spamming because I think you have no idea what you're talking about.Just so you know, ad hominem is a logical fallacy.

mods that have the name of the Weapon Category in them sound silly. 

to me it sounds like trying to define a word by using the word.

See... you say that, but don't you just call Point Blank "Shotgun Damage" when you talk about it? I couldn't argue the point, but I still disagree. I wish we'd drop the whole trading card thing when it comes to basic mods. Accelerated Blast? Yeah, okay. I get that. Pistol Pestilence? Yeah, I agree with you; it sounds wonky. The basics though, I would just assume be called "Shotgun Damage" and "Rifle Punch-Through".

Maybe I'm just boring?

this ^

/thread

OP, please just take a step back and realize that in a world where thousands of people die from war, strife and starvation every day - words and terms are not worth being offended over.

You have a decent PC to play on and enough time on your hands to get on an online forum to complain about meaningless fluff... Can you just ask yourself, I mean try being objective and REALLY ask yourself - why you even care about words that other people are using that do not serve an agenda of physically harming anyone?

Take a step back and man up, dude. Anything verbal only offends you because you allow it to. If the intent to offend is not there (and with DE being Canadian, I REALLLLLLY do not think they meant to offend), then it should be a case of 'No harm, no foul'.

Berate my opinion and argue if you will, I live by my truth. I live in a country where I get slandered for being Caucasian and a foreigner at least once a week. Chalk it up to humanity's ignorance and move on, otherwise you'll end up having a lot less fun in your life.

Peace.

Edited by psyanide

It's not a troll thread, they're serious.

On that note , I want DE to change the name of Warframe too because War offends me.

ya ..question is, where do we stop?

When a region complains enough, add in a networking program that checks each region and assigns a new name to that region's connections. The rest of us can keep DE's original name, that region can deal with what ever gives them to silence their complaints without angering the other regions who find it silly.

Well I find shotgun spazz not offensive at all but that's due to my region and that to me spazz is known in the medical term spasm. Though I find trying not offend others is a noble goal trying to whitewash everything would make things boring. Sure it might offend you when their using spazz but from their viewpoint in just means twitchy or fast. And by the by this game was produced in Canada and mostly tailored around the NA area so I dont think they're trying to offend anyone, specially since their Canadian.