Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Sentinel Should I Get?

bigmanj35

Question

i am pretty new and i was going to buy a blueprint for one. the warframe that i use is a rhino, if that helps. basically im just a tank that does a lot of damage. could anyone suggest or describe what each one does and what play style it is best suited to. thank you 

Wyrm - Your "Balanced" Sentinel, has a decent laser rifle and a crowd control ability called Crowd Dispersal that knocks down multiple enemies in range

Shade - Stealth Sentinel, uses the "somewhat meh" laser pistol and has a terrific ability called Ghost that will turn you invisible when enemies are in range

Dethcube - Full Assault Sentinel, great machine gun with large ammo count (roughly 100 or so), has an ability called Vaporize that will fire a beam at one enemy in range for a somewhat decent amount of damage

Carrier - Support Sentinel Number 1, great shotgun that can actually kill low level enemies in a few shots at close range, has an ability called Vacuum that helps you to pick up any item on the ground near you

Djinn (Not purchaseable from Market, only from Clan research) - Support Sentinel Number 2, an above average poison dart shooter (the only one that deals pure elemental damage, which is Toxin), has an ability called Fatal Attraction that deals damage and pulls in enemies within range.

I recommend Carrier or Shade since they are the best utility Sentinels at the moment.

Dethcube or Carrier.

Sentinels have stats and weapons of their own and they can use the weapon of other sentinels. Dethcube comes with the Deth Machine Rifle which is pretty good, and the sentinel has some nice stats and an ability which will keep you safe from enemies that are about to attack you physically (Stuns them if it doesnt kill them). Carrier comes with the Sweeper shotgun which is great, it has some nice stats and an ability which will save you some time and get you resources without having to go for them.

Both Dethcube and Carrier are good options.

Edited by Nachino

Shade, Dethcube or Carrier are all winners in their own right. Dethcube is an offensive player's Sentinel, while Shade is a more utility based Sentinel. Carrier kind of mixes the two together by picking up items and coming standard with the best Sentinel weapon in the game. Either of these three will suite you well as long as you play to its strengths.

Wyrm is underwhelming in terms of utility and power, and Djinn is only useful for getting its weapon (even then subjective), so don't worry about getting these two. Even the mastery isn't worth the headache.

Carrier.

Careful if you make it stupid powerful and you're trying to level, though; It'll kill everything and you won't get much experience. I use it for collecting mods because it's the most convenient thing ever. I don't know how I got by without it before U10.

Carrier is excellent. Use it all the time.

I'd love to recommend the crap out of Shade, but they stealth-nerfed it into oblivion a few months back (U10, I think it was).

The Invisibility will now disappear, without warning, after 15 seconds of cloaking, and the cooldown between cloaks has been extended almost to the point of "you might as well not have Invisibility equipped".

Dethcube or carrier, dethcube has greater range/damage output from both his machine gun and his vaporize, but carrier overall is really nice as he'll pull all the ammo/mods/energy to you that you might have otherwise passed up.

Or better yet buy both so you can switch between the machine gun and the shotgun (note that both weapons automatically have a longer range on dethcube)

I swap the weapons all the time, if I want to kill things I use dethcube, if it's just an normal run then carrier.

- If you want long range suppression and close-combat CC, Wyrm. Equip it with Deth Machine Rifle (Dethcube's weapon) for long range targets.

OR

Use it for close-combat finisher/support while you finish those enemies far ahead, by combining Wyrm with Sweeper (Carrier's weapon). Don't forget to max your Crowd Dispersion mod.

- If you want stealth, use Shade. Currently, that's what Shade is good for... Any weapon will do (but if you already have Djinn, equip it with Stinger + max pure toxin damage mod build), just don't forget to max Ghost.

- If you want long range, single target killing machine + single target close-combat vaporizer, Dethcube. Deth Machine Rifle is mandatory, with max damage mod build in mind if you can.

- If you want a drops collector, Carrier. Combine it with Deth Machine Rifle if you use shotgun/close to middle ranged weapon, and Sweeper if you use rifle/long ranged weapon.

- If you want to aggro, Djinn. The hardest sentinel to acquire, and also the best one to use if you always tank. Equip it with Sweeper if you on Infested mission, or Deth Machine Rifle on any other mission.

*Always max you attack and utility precept mod for each sentinel, except if you use Djinn's Stinger (for that, use low ranked attack precept to decrease the engagement range to ensure accuracy).

*For Deth Machine Rifle, always go max damage.

*For Sweeper, go with max fire rate (Accelerated Blast + Shotgun Spazz maxed) to reach three-fire bursts, then go to damage.

*Don't really recommend Laser Rifle (Wyrm's) and Burst Laser, since Deth Machine Rifle and Sweeper outshine both of it.

*Wyrm is better for CC/suppression than Dethcube, both on long range or close range, since Wyrm is quick to switch target, and Dethcube is always focused on killing a single target first.

Please CMIIW, since these info only comes from my experience...

Wyrm and Shade's weapons are mediocre, so not recommended as your first one.  Got 'em eventually for the mastery and once you level their weapons you can sell them and have room for Djinn while keeping all the other Sentinels without buying slots.

Amusingly, Shade won't attack enemies that attack you if you're Rhino with Iron Skin up since the damage doesn't actually hit your shields.

Djinn requires Forma to craft, so likely out of reach as your first Sentinel.

Edited by Vortok

Carrier...

I like the fact that a scrotum shaped Sentinel picks up testicles  energy orbs and loot for me

i see no point in any of sentinel, do u really expect them to do decent damage? pure utility, if not they kinda suck...

just like warframes, dps dont scale well

i am new player too since 4 months from the beginning the first

buys was sentinels Carrier/Deathcube/Shade

Most used Carrier and next Deathcube bcz of my Loki and perma invisibility

build Shade was not so useable

Begin with Carrier and then get DeathCube and switch the weapons

accordingly to primary weapon(example prim Braton Carrier/Deathcube with Sweeper or

prim Sobek Carrier/Deathcube with DeathMachine Rifles so you can put best mods on and use

without conflict)

Edited by JoMenton

Djinn weapon will tear through the first 15 min of an appolodorus run so well you may rage at him for stealing all the kills.

Same for Mimas (darn autocorrect) but he started to fade at the 10 min mark, before formas anyway. May potato it and see if it can solo to 30 here soon.

Edited by Zyba

I'd recommend the carrier as well. I got it because atm I'm not into doing stealth(no real stealthy frames yet) and it's utility appealed to me. Damage was not important as I know they don't do much of it. I have actually removed the striker mod because I was tired of him shooting people when he should be picking crap up for me.  lol

I think a lot of people suggesting 'Carrier' are ignoring the fact that the OP also mentioned they were 'pretty new'.

Shade will help you a bit more in leveling up more Warframes/weapons and surviving as you get used to the game/deal with not having upgraded frames. It's cloak can really help out, and it's less like to 'take away' XP from your weapons by getting kills than the Carrier's impressive shotgun or Dethcube's Vaporize ability (though you can also just not 'slot' offensive and special abilities).

Once you've got a good stable of weapons and feel comfortable juggling around, then you might want to spread out. But Shade REALLY will help a new player.

The carrier because once you get that floating mini eggplant, you'll never go back.

I prefer Dethcube, Vaporize has saved me from the odd Charging Ancient too many times now to use anything else really.

For a HUGE punch, use death cude sentinal with Carrier's Sweeper shotgun.  if you are fgarming, just use Carrier.

I think a lot of people suggesting 'Carrier' are ignoring the fact that the OP also mentioned they were 'pretty new'.

Shade will help you a bit more in leveling up more Warframes/weapons and surviving as you get used to the game/deal with not having upgraded frames. It's cloak can really help out, and it's less like to 'take away' XP from your weapons by getting kills than the Carrier's impressive shotgun or Dethcube's Vaporize ability (though you can also just not 'slot' offensive and special abilities).

Once you've got a good stable of weapons and feel comfortable juggling around, then you might want to spread out. But Shade REALLY will help a new player.

I disagree. I learned to play this game without shade(or any sentinel for that matter) and I did not have huge problems adapting. I'm by no means an expert as I was about as green as they come having never shooters on PC(played plenty on console).

If anything starting out with shade could cause it to become a crutch.

Just my 2 cents