The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Increasing Your Fps (Nvidia & Winsat)

TylerBurden

Today, I was really annoyed by the fact that Warframe isn't running smooth anymore (sometimes about 13 FPS) . I had over ~30 FPS on the highest graphic settings before, but had to forfeit that performance. 

This wasn't only today, it was weeks before and everything started with "Cicero Crisis" but I don't want to dwell about that.

I wanted to complain about Warframe in the forum but I decided to blame me first. (Or atleast everything else)

The last days I recognized alot of Nvidia processes running in the background of my computer, all together "wasted" around more than 20k ram memory. I was curious about that, because everytime I tried to close all the running applications they appeared again seconds after it. Strange.

This only happens to player with the latest Nvidia driver!

So I used the internet to learn and read about that and I found out that since the new Nvidia driver updates, a process called nvstreamscv.exe was added to their program. A process that tries to connect with SHIELD all the time. (Shield is a new service by Nvidia, just google it) This process was making alot of TCP/IP calls, a lot.

Since I don't have SHIELD and I bet nearly no one has it, I know I can close that. But as stated before it wont let it close. So I did that:

.) Type services.msc in your windows search bar and open it

.) Search now for "Nvidia Streamer Service" and double click it

.) Now stop the service status and disable the startup type.

Nvidia processes now wont open again if I close them and the stream process isnt running anymore.

There is also something called WinSat.exe which has nothing to do with Nvidia but could help you too. WinSat will run at a scheduled interval by default on Windows 7. This programm basically forces a speed-test of your RAM, CPU and GPU for your windows experience index. To disable this from running automatically, follow these steps: 

.) Go to Task Scheduler

.) Browse to Microsoft\Windows\Maintenance

.) Disable "WinSat"

Since I did both of these things, Warframe is running way better again. I have around 30FPS again and I'm really happy about that. 

Though I have to admit that since the "Cicero Crisis" update, Warframe is running slower generally.

I hope DE take a look at and increase the performance without decreasing graphical settings.

And I hope I could help some players to increase their performance by these simple steps. For me, they really helped to enjoy Warframe again.

Edited: spelling and grammar mistakes I've found. ;)

btw -  I would love to have some feedback if it worked for you or not. Just wanna know if it only worked for me!

Edited by TylerBurden

If 20 000 bytes of ram usage reduces performance for you then you seriously need a new computer, like ASAP. Your fps most of the time is only affected by your GPU which isn 't used by most of the processes.

PS: RAM is so cheap these days, buy some and put it in your computer.

No, the problem was the internet connections by nvstream. I just wanted to tell the people how much RAM the Nvidia processes need for kinda nothing. RAM wasn't the problem; the TCP/IP calls were.

FPS are also affected by latency, not only by the GPU.

My computer and internet connection are good enough, but thank you for your concern ;)

Edited by TylerBurden

PS: RAM is so cheap these days, buy some and put it in your computer.

Cheapness is something pretty subjective my friend, one can think its cheap when its expansive for another one, here goes life

Edited by Tsoe

You FPS are not bound to your internet latency. No programmer would design something that way. In network programming 101 you spin tasks off into threads because you have no control over if/when packets of info arrive.  Basically any program that talks over a network is running in a controlled infinite loop. If your losing FPS because another program is spamming TCP/IP packets then you have a CPU bottleneck, or your NIC is sharing an IRQ with another important hardware piece like the sound card or video card.

Also memory usage is scalable a process that uses 20,000 KB of ram on 4 GB system could use 80,000 KB of ram on system with 16GB of ram, as it that system is less likely to page out unused portions of a game.

Really interesting, although I nearly knew everything.

So, FPS could accur because of spamming TCP/IP packets but it's not directly dependent on latency. Right?

And yes. But memory usage is always more than less a percentage value, but some processes can't go lower a specific value, because that's what it needs to keep it running/working.

Edited by TylerBurden

Regardless of whether it's taking 1 or 10 FPS from you, it's still good to know. Neither of these services do anything particularly important, so it's not like you're losing anything for this performance boost.

Exactly what I was thinking and what I wanted to tell you. Maybe it can help some players to get a little more FPS.

That nvidia stream is kinda weird anyway imo because you can't really disable it. There's no option for that.