The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe Concept] Typhus - The Parasite Warframe

RedSkittlez

it isn't parasitic unless it HARMS the host in some way. The Remora never harms the shark so it's a symbiotic relationship because the shark is parasite free and the Remora gets food.

Typhus is technically a mutual parasite. of course, given its nature, one might mistake it for one or the other when it is in fact both. it is organically parasitic in that it leeches off the wearer's life force for its own benefit. it is tactically mutual in that it grants the user abilities that prolong the survival of both parties.

symbiosis doesnt have to be completely considered organically. with Typhus, it is additionally considered utility-wise.

Well to start off about the abilities (and please do correct me if I'm wrong), but the way you described them, is that they would all have an animation time and that they are full body animations or at least he can't simply run and spam his abilities like a vauban. However, he seems to be dependent on using his abilities frequently to survive, due to him being a glass cannon, as stated in the op.

So by this logic, the warframe would be somewhat similar to what nova prime is, except with less movement speed and having to stop to cast all abilities.

Here's what I recommend doing (I'm not stating that you should do it at all though): Change some abilities so that they are instant casts or at least you cause some kind of stun to prevent the enemies from killing you while you try and survive for those split seconds of casting the animation.

Please do take under consideration though, that I do think the abilities are interesting and could potentially be fun to use in game, however the way you described the abilities would cause him to start falling off late game, due to the enemies gunning you down within seconds.

Thank you for your opinion, however, you're getting a misconception about the powers. Even though I stated Typhus is a glass-cannon, he's a different type of glass-cannon compared to other warframes. You can't just spam abilities to win.

Typhus is not a "press 4 to win" 'frame, you have to synergism his abilities to get his defenses up so that he can survive longer encounters. I've been thumbing around the idea of Typhus having a "Consumed Counter" that keeps track of what he's consumed and having that track his self-buffs and add a multiplier to the damage of his 4th skill, and using the skill resets the counter and his self-buffs. Because of this, players will need to carefully plan their fights, and make sure they know what they can handle, and when they can handle it, to get the most bang for their buck.

I'd like to have mentioned this as soon as possible, but the power is still very much in its development stage right now. And I thank you for asking these tough questions to help me figure out the power for myself. I had a vague idea, and it has grown now, thanks to your constructive feedback and criticism.

Out of curiosity (I feel like I should now add this to the start of all my inputs here), isn't the link between operator and suit in this case more mutualistic than parasitic?

And if a parasite doesn't harm the host, isn't that supposed to be commensalism?

I get that there are no separate words (as far as I'm concerned at least) for organisms that rely on other types of symbiosis, but then, they aren't strictly parasites either.

Untrue, not all parasites are harmful to the host. I already gave an example of a mutualist parasite in my previous posts.

Similarly, Typhus engages in a Mutual co-speciation with its operator. The 'Frame feeds on the Operator and grants powers to allow the Operator to survive normal combat. Though the 'Frame does painfully graft itself to the Operator, so he isn't "Getting something for nothing", as so many would be apt to point out.

The plates of the frame violently burrow into the skin to hook onto the body of the host. Typhus is a mutualist parasite that feeds on the host, but allows the host to consume and regain his own flesh. If the Host doesn't feed, the parasite consumes him entirely. Typhus is a sentient, or self-aware parasite, as well. It knows that if the host dies, it dies. Hence it seeks to maintain both its own normal functions, as well as the funtions of its host.

I have to point out, not to keep beating this dead horse, but RedSkittlez is right. You guys seem to have this misconception about Parasites. They can have multiple types of relationships with its host. And not all MUST be harmful, and not all MUST be internal.

For example, I'm a Parasite to my Father. Why? He pays my rent, supplies me with food, and in return I pay him back and generally make his life a little easier. That's an Endoparasitic Mutualist relationship, as its beneficial for both of us.

Edited by Teqnologyque

You know what? I'm gonna say this: Let's not talk about this anymore, all of this is in the OP. I've done my research, I have a level 3 degree in biology, so I kind of know where I'm coming from here. Though granted, I'm no professional, but the resources and information is out there, if you have any further questions or concerns in regards to Parasitic Relationships, you can google it yourself.

I think its great that the concept is getting people thinking, and asking questions, and some of you are probably learning quite a bit of biology from this, but I can't keep explaining things I've already researched and put into the OP. Its literally right there, under a spoiler. You don't even have to look it up yourself, I've already found it, so please; if you don't understand, just read the OP.

Can we not debate what's real and not in a game of techno-organic cyborg space mercenaries? You're already suspending your belief a fair margin, why try to make it any more "Real"?

If you want to debate in regards to the Typhus Concept, please make it in regards to the actual 'Frame, its art, or its capabilities. Let's not get bogged down in cumbersome science and matters of the real world, when we can ninja-flip across massive gaps and use silent rocket launchers to blow up entire platoons of space marines.

Parasitism - (Not to be confused with Cannibalize Armour, which is a self-stat buff, whereas this is a Combat Function Self-Buff) Typhus violently consumes a targeted enemy, integrating its physiology and temporarily assuming traits belonging to the target in order to deliver a massive area attack. Consuming a Grineer Unit results in a Bio-Missile Barrage, consuming a Corpus unit results in a Bio-Laser barrage, and consuming an infested unit results in the creation of a cluster of viral insects that burst out of Typhus' chest and swarms the immediate area, consuming and slowing anything not Tenno. -WIP-

wip_by_redskittlez_da-d86q27e.png

Parasitism - (Not to be confused with Cannibalize Armour, which is a self-stat buff, whereas this is a Combat Function Self-Buff) Typhus violently consumes a targeted enemy, integrating its physiology and temporarily assuming traits belonging to the target in order to deliver a massive area attack. Consuming a Grineer Unit results in a Bio-Missile Barrage, consuming a Corpus unit results in a Bio-Laser barrage, and consuming an infested unit results in the creation of a cluster of viral insects that burst out of Typhus' chest and swarms the immediate area, consuming and slowing anything not Tenno. -WIP-

1. I'm assuming the buffed up shoulders are temporary? only when Destroyer Mode is active?

If so then I'm all for it..

because Typhus' original Shoulders are one my favorite things about the design,

and I'd hate to see them changed despite it being all up to you :P

2. are you going to make a mock-up of the Corpus Shoulders aswell?

3. I also still can't get over how badass his new redesign looks

1. I'm assuming the buffed up shoulders are temporary? only when Destroyer Mode is active?

If so then I'm all for it..

because Typhus' original Shoulders are one my favorite things about the design,

and I'd hate to see them changed despite it being all up to you :P

2. are you going to make a mock-up of the Corpus Shoulders aswell?

3. I also still can't get over how badass his new redesign looks

1) Yes, its only temporary for when he activates the ability.

2) Yes.

3) Thank you.

I looked at his design and other than his dragonfly-fairy robe that hes wearing I think its an awesome idea. While Warfame does do a lot of parasite abilities, I'm o.k. with that (probably because i play that way in most of my games) and no warframe specializes in it (like I hope you make this guy) But If you do want to make a warframe like this, Might I suggest giving his abilities corrosive damage because...

1 No other warframe has an corrosive damage ability. They made a warframe for every element except for corrosive that makes me sad :(

2 If you wanted him to be more paracite-like many animals use corrosives to liquidize their prey or keep them bleeding 

(lamprey, or spiders) so it might attune to the design 

corrosive is the best all-around element for weaknesses and taking down armor. Therefore a warframe with that specialty might prove to be the next greatdamage warframe.(Like ember)

I looked at his design and other than his dragonfly-fairy robe that hes wearing I think its an awesome idea. While Warfame does do a lot of parasite abilities, I'm o.k. with that (probably because i play that way in most of my games) and no warframe specializes in it (like I hope you make this guy) But If you do want to make a warframe like this, Might I suggest giving his abilities corrosive damage because...

1 No other warframe has an corrosive damage ability. They made a warframe for every element except for corrosive that makes me sad :(

2 If you wanted him to be more paracite-like many animals use corrosives to liquidize their prey or keep them bleeding 

corrosive is the best all-around element for weaknesses and taking down armor. Therefore a warframe with that specialty might prove to be the next greatdamage warframe.(Like ember)

Thanks for the Suggestion, but considering his ability is to absorb and adapt the abilities of his enemies.

I'm still working on these abilities, maybe I should note on the abilities what kind of damage they do, but Boiling blood is supposed to do corrosive damage.

On that note, when Typhus uses his fourth, he adds a specific element to the damage of the primary type of his victim. For Grineer, the Bio-Missiles inundate an area with a digestive enzyme that attacks armour. It would be corrosive in that regard.

Not trying to sound hostile, but I can see where you're coming from. I'll try to collate some notes and add damage types to the listed abilities to clarify some confusion.

Well to start off about the abilities (and please do correct me if I'm wrong), but the way you described them, is that they would all have an animation time and that they are full body animations or at least he can't simply run and spam his abilities like a vauban. However, he seems to be dependent on using his abilities frequently to survive, due to him being a glass cannon, as stated in the op.

So by this logic, the warframe would be somewhat similar to what nova prime is, except with less movement speed and having to stop to cast all abilities.

Here's what I recommend doing (I'm not stating that you should do it at all though): Change some abilities so that they are instant casts or at least you cause some kind of stun to prevent the enemies from killing you while you try and survive for those split seconds of casting the animation.

Please do take under consideration though, that I do think the abilities are interesting and could potentially be fun to use in game, however the way you described the abilities would cause him to start falling off late game, due to the enemies gunning you down within seconds.

Now that is refreshing to see. Someone with constructive criticism for once.

I think you have a valid point.

wouldn't his boiling blood ability do corrosive procs?

gotta give Saryn some credit where its due; Miasma is a Corrosive ability. sure, its one ability, but its not like its useless.

Thank you for your opinion, however, you're getting a misconception about the powers. Even though I stated Typhus is a glass-cannon, he's a different type of glass-cannon compared to other warframes. You can't just spam abilities to win.

Typhus is not a "press 4 to win" 'frame, you have to synergism his abilities to get his defenses up so that he can survive longer encounters. I've been thumbing around the idea of Typhus having a "Consumed Counter" that keeps track of what he's consumed and having that track his self-buffs and add a multiplier to the damage of his 4th skill, and using the skill resets the counter and his self-buffs. Because of this, players will need to carefully plan their fights, and make sure they know what they can handle, and when they can handle it, to get the most bang for their buck.

I'd like to have mentioned this as soon as possible, but the power is still very much in its development stage right now. And I thank you for asking these tough questions to help me figure out the power for myself. I had a vague idea, and it has grown now, thanks to your constructive feedback and criticism.

Just to make things clear, I never considered Typhus to be a press 4 to win frame. However this is not what I'd like to mention. With the self buff and stacking you were probably referring to his 3rd ability, Cannibalize Armor. What I'd like to know is if that stacking is infinite, or has a maximal amount of points, just like shield transference for mag does (ps. I hate it that mag can't stack anymore infinitely).

Another recommendation that somewhat goes off of logic:

Boiling Blood is where Typhus "erupts and showers the enemies around him with his own armor". This basically states, that Typhus gets rid of his armor which means that he will: 1) take more damage from all sources, and 2) gain movement speed due to only being flesh and blood.

Something I did looooong time ago.

warframe___typhus_prime_by_redskittlez_d

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES

I don't have enough Yes to give you for this

Just to make things clear, I never considered Typhus to be a press 4 to win frame. However this is not what I'd like to mention. With the self buff and stacking you were probably referring to his 3rd ability, Cannibalize Armor. What I'd like to know is if that stacking is infinite, or has a maximal amount of points.

wether C.A. will stack infinitely or not is a very valid question,

to add to this, will B.B. remove all your C.A. stacks so you have to start over again?

and if so, will B.B. deal more damage depending on how many Stacks you had?

Edited by BaIthazar

tumblr_m9g0tsjEGv1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

FIRE ALL TEH MISSILES!!!!

I like the way you give it the feel that his trait is adptation. I like that for different enemies he consumes its a differnt attack that goes with that factions strong suit sorta like fighting fire with fire.

Something I did looooong time ago.

warframe___typhus_prime_by_redskittlez_d

My jaw dropped this is BA! good sir. I tip my hat to thy in honar of your skill.