The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

First Person View Option In Warframe

TheJiggliestPoo

Warframe could really use a first person option (switchable via hotkey). Many weapons in the game, especially new ones, have great looking models and animations that you just really can't see in third person and appreciate. In addition, the vast environments just feel small and you can't feel the scale of the maps. First person with parkour elements have been done and have definitely worked. While this doesn't have to be a priority, with all the other changes coming in, I feel a first person option should be looked at and considered.

Counter arguments:

* I only like to play third person games/I want to see my character

There's no problem as this is an extra option to the player that would be switchable via hotkey similar to many other games that uses both modes like Hellgate Global.

* There would be problems with mele

With the addition of mele 2.0, the combo systems require you actually switch to your melee weapons so the game can just force the third person view points. Quickmele options while still using a gun shouldn't have issues as it can just use a system similar to Shadow Warrior where you can do quick swings while having a gun out.

* You can't parkour around in first person vs third person in Warframe

Numerous games have already proven that allowing extreme mobility and parkour can work fine in first person such as Dishonored, Mirror's Edge, Bioshock Infinite, Portal, ect

Development time constraints/resources 

This doesn't have to be a priority and can be worked on with time. Many games have both a third person and first person option as there are advantages to having both.

*EDIT*

To everyone talking about the difficulty of implementing this, it'll be up to the devs to decide if it is too hard. If it is seriously too difficult with the design of the engine then the ones most knowledgeable about it would be the devs themselves. Nobody else here can possibly know the difficulty.

*EDIT 2 on Camera view points and disorientation*

People seems to have the misconception of how first person cameras work. The camera is not literally the tenno's eyes and that where the tenno orients their head is where the camera will point. For example, when you do a in the air roll, your camera is not going to roll along as well, what it will do is stay facing the same way so what you just see on your screen is as if you happened to have moved forward in air without a roll maneuver occuring. First person cameras cannot accommodate all the random rolls ect as it will obviously cause disorientation.

Edited by TheJiggliestPoo

Bioshock infinite had parkour?

Im not opposed to a 1st person view though as long as nobody is forced to use it. I mean, it wouldnt hurt anybody or something...

+1

It had high speed movement with the rail system and a lot of vertical movement without having much issues to the player in first person getting confused or being unable to play it at all.

I believe this was already discussed ages ago. Can't remember the arguments, I'll just say that I don't care much for first person, but I'm all for having the choice. I can see how it would be useful while camping in Defense maps, but I personally prefer the third person view.

Prolly will never happen.

1. No weapons have first person models atm.

2. Parkour in its current state would cause motion sickness in first person (only game that could ever pull off anything close to WF parkour was Mirror's Edge, and that game had a static dot to prevent motion sickness, not to mention certain powers would become near unusable (think Zepher's 2nd).

I just really cant see this working very well with the way warframe is designed, It could be implemented, but i just cant see it working out all that well.

you need to make a whole new game to implement first person view properly

Warframe would not work in 1st person. The style and pace of the game, along with movement would be to difficult to follow and control, let alone the coding.

Making a first person mode in Warframe would not be a stretch. Old first person shooters all had extremely fast paces and adding in the option of the wall running/hopping options is hardly too intense for first person. The coding wouldn't be extremely difficult for making third person games include first person view points. Some games like Hellgate didn't even use much different animations for third person vs first person especially in terms of gunplay.

Prolly will never happen.

1. No weapons have first person models atm.

2. Parkour in its current state would cause motion sickness in first person (only game that could ever pull off anything close to WF parkour was Mirror's Edge, and that game had a static dot to prevent motion sickness, not to mention certain powers would become near unusable (think Zepher's 2nd).

Certain powers that require third person can just have the game force a third person view point when you use it. Parkour in the current state is not nearly as disorienting as portal and won't have motion sickness issues as you describe (the game already has a crosshair similar to the Mirror's Edge point). The first person models won't even have to be drastically different or different at all as games like Hellgate pretty much uses the same one. The difference is in the positioning of these guns while in first person.

Now why would I want to reliquish the one benefit of being able to look around the corner without being spotted.

It's an option not a forced perspective. You can press a hotkey and look around the corner. Think Dayz where there is both first person and third person where you can do the corner spotting.

Certain powers that require third person can just have the game force a third person view point when you use it. Parkour in the current state is not nearly as disorienting as portal and won't have motion sickness issues as you describe (the game already has a crosshair similar to the Mirror's Edge point). The first person models won't even have to be drastically different or different at all as games like Hellgate pretty much uses the same one. The difference is in the positioning of these guns while in first person.

Please tell me in portal where you do front flips, mantle (and flip while doing so), or get knocked down.

Please tell me in portal where you do front flips, mantle (and flip while doing so), or get knocked down.

Portal isn't the same game as Warframe. It's the similar concepts of parkour where there is rapid movement and the game flows smooth while doing the constant crazy movements

Portal isn't the same game as Warframe. It's the similar concepts of parkour where there is rapid movement and the game flows smooth while doing the constant crazy movements

I know that, but you can't compare them. Closest comparison is Mirror's Edge, and that's still not quite the same. Warframe is not nearly as smooth in those games, trading smoothness for freedom.

Edited by modded

It's an interesting idea.  And if it's not possible for implement, it is not because motion sickness, speed movement, etc. There are some fast paced FPS that are actually so fast, or even more faster than warframe sometimes.

Unreal Tournament 3 for instance has dodging from walls, boots for high jumping, accelerating jumping plataforms, fast vehicles, speed relics, etc., and it's perfectly fine, even with the "BOB" option activated.  Actually, Unreal Tournament 3 (I think it was the only Unreal not co-developer by DE, by the way) is so fast, it's even don't have realod for weapons...  And you can make it more faster with mods and mutators...

Edited by ebls

The models of the guns are already in the game, it wouldn't be too difficult to copy them over from third person to first person

Would you even need first-person models if all you did was resposition the camera to be just slightly in front of your character's head?

It's an interesting idea.  And if it's not possible for implement, it is not because motion sickness, speed movement, etc. There are some fast paced FPS that are actually so fast, or even more faster than warframe sometimes.

Unreal Tournament 3 for instance has dodging from walls, boots for high jumping, accelerating jumping plataforms, fast vehicles, speed relics, etc., and it's perfectly fine, even with the "BOB" option activated.  Actually, Unreal Tournament 3 (I think it was the only Unreal not co-developer by DE, by the way) is so fast, it's even don't have realod for weapons...  And you can make it more faster with mods and mutators...

Why is everyone thinking that I mean speed will cause sickness. It's not that at all, it's the flips, the spins, the inconsistent speed. What happens when you get knocked down? Or zoren-coptor (or and slide-melee)? Or do a front flip? THAT is what will cause sickness. -_-