Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Metal Auger Mod, Remarks Please....

otaconWTH

Question

22 answers to this question

Any weapon that you want to use to kill rows of targets, or shoot them through cover is worth using punch-through on.  However, Shred is a better mod in most cases.  It has punch-through, and increased fire rate, for a lower cost.  The punch-through is less, but it's plenty enough to allow you to kill multiple targets and ignore light cover.

I would never put Metal Auger/Shred on my Soma...

Soma is a DPS weapon meant for single targets/bosses. You would miss out on to much DPS there.

But as it was said allready it is good on weapons you want to fight mobs with. While I would recommend a Shred instead (has punch through AND firing speed (Nightmare Mod) Metal Auger is good on weapons where firing speed doesn't matter.

Combining both mods on a single weapon is a waste in my eyes. You don't need to shot enemies behind 3m thick walls....

The 1.2m Shred offers are far enough. Also the 1.2m are calculated for every single surface the bullet hits.

too much dmg mods... got no room for utility, only DPS count.

You do realize that technically by using punch through you deliver more damage if you have enemies lined up? You may deal less damage per bullet, but the same bullet is hitting more than one enemy...

As to OP, dont use it on bows, as suggested, they already have natural punch through after the last update, its more worth adding damage. You can hit up to 5+ enemies when they line up when using a bow, without a single punch through mod ;)

Soma is a DPS weapon meant for single targets/bosses. You would miss out on to much DPS there.

But as it was said allready it is good on weapons you want to fight mobs with. While I would recommend a Shred instead (has punch through AND firing speed (Nightmare Mod) Metal Auger is good on weapons where firing speed doesn't matter.

Combining both mods on a single weapon is a waste in my eyes. You don't need to shot enemies behind 3m thick walls....

The 1.2m Shred offers are far enough. Also the 1.2m are calculated for every single surface the bullet hits.

Sure you miss some single target DPS, But a bullet that hits twice is double the dps.

don't forget that soma is a ammo eating freak,

being able to hit multiple targets with a single bullet, saves more ammo, can carry on dealing dmg

or you'll need to bring more ammo boxes just to help you keep up with the endless waves of mobs in high tier survival.

Edited by Blazevalls

Dread...

Metal auger plus shred would make a 3.3m punch through!

very amazing!

Dread (and all bows) now have innate puncture. It will go through enemies indefinitely without mods. The only thing dread would do is make it go through the environment. This went into effect with U12 i believe. 

I question the logic here.. Shred with it's attack speed increase technically increases DPS much more than a damage mod in it's place is (more bullets/ sec = more Damage Per Sec. Assuming you can aim a laser at something. It also allows you to shoot a boss when they are cowering behind cover, or shoot at a boss while YOU are cowering behind cover (ex: Raptor: you can stay inside the building and shoot out through the window itself)

It also allows you to mow down rows upon rows of enemies that are grouped up. Or coming through a door in a defense mission.. i cant see why you wouldn't use shred really.. 

Shred is the most cost efficient Punch-Through mod. The additional fire-rate doesn't hurt either. As for what to put it on, it's useful on almost anything really, except perhaps stuff like exploding projectile weapons, but bows it works well for and pretty much anything else if you have room for it in your mod slots.

I question the logic here.. Shred with it's attack speed increase technically increases DPS much more than a damage mod in it's place is (more bullets/ sec = more Damage Per Sec. Assuming you can aim a laser at something. It also allows you to shoot a boss when they are cowering behind cover, or shoot at a boss while YOU are cowering behind cover (ex: Raptor: you can stay inside the building and shoot out through the window itself)

It also allows you to mow down rows upon rows of enemies that are grouped up. Or coming through a door in a defense mission.. i cant see why you wouldn't use shred really.. 

Like I said it is meant as a single target weapon. At least in my eyes.

Also with the proper mods a Soma does such imense dmg I don't know why you would need to sit behind cover with it? Every boss melts in seconds... except Kril maybe, but thats a different story. And again, it is a weapon I use against a Boss, no punch through needed.

But infact if you target a bigger group of enemies with your Soma, a Shred can provide more additional dmg than another dmg/crit mod, but in such cases I would bring a whole different weapon with me. Same goes for longer survivals in example. But then again if you are dealing with lets say a group of 20 Level 500 enemies I would bring a different weapon right from the start (or a warframe that can deal with them).

Thats why I would never put a Shred on a Soma.

Like I said it is meant as a single target weapon. At least in my eyes.

Also with the proper mods a Soma does such imense dmg I don't know why you would need to sit behind cover with it? Every boss melts in seconds... except Kril maybe, but thats a different story. And again, it is a weapon I use against a Boss, no punch through needed.

But infact if you target a bigger group of enemies with your Soma, a Shred can provide more additional dmg than another dmg/crit mod, but in such cases I would bring a whole different weapon with me. Same goes for longer survivals in example. But then again if you are dealing with lets say a group of 20 Level 500 enemies I would bring a different weapon right from the start (or a warframe that can deal with them).

Thats why I would never put a Shred on a Soma.

Well, that is how you use your soma. Plenty of people use if for things other than bosses.. Just because it is a accurate machine gun, doesnt mean i only want to use it for bosses, i would rather use my soma over its closest relatives (gorgon and supra) for most cases. The gorgon beats it out for corpus, and the supra is nothing but a bullet hose. And aoe weapons aren't always the best choice. 

The point is, if you need your gun to shoot through multiple enemies in a row, through cover (guard rails, grineer shields, or otherwise) then punch through is your best friend. You DONT want to use it on the Ogris (missle will blow up on first target and the projectile will pass through but wont blow up again), The Ignis (already has innate punch through) and the embolist (same as ignis)

Edited by (PS4)MyTagForHalo

Well, that is how you use your soma. Plenty of people use if for things other than bosses.

I also do use it for other things beside bosses. Mission running for example. But there the dmg a Soma does is high enough to kill an enemy within a few shots. They don't have the time (or I don't have the time) to move into a line and therefor be a good target for a Shred. In a standard mission there are only few situations where I can say, "yup, now I am hitting multiple targets with one shot".

If you want to get the max out of your weapon you should also ask yourself, how often am I in situations where this particular mod comes in handy. Same goes for the Shred. And I am far to less in such situations with my Soma, to see more value in a Shred than another dmg mod,

Also: I would still put a Shred on a Boltor.

Punch through is good on any weapon but since there are 2 punch through mods, shred andmetal auger, i can see why there is some confusion about it. Since you want to max DPS you should only get one of these two on a weapon.

Wich mod you want to use is actually pretty easy. does your weapon have more than 5 bullet in the clip like soma/supra/karak/ Shred is good.

However for weapons such as bows and vectis for example wich only have one bullet Metal auger is the way to go imho.

Bows CAN use shred also since the fire rate Ups the speeds wich the charge reticle charges.

Shred is invariably better for just about any weapon, and the 1.2 m is enough.

The only time I can consider using MA is for an Ignis (but I usually get by without puncture as it has AoE), a Vectis (has no clip so RoF doesnt really have much effect) or on the Synapse (but synapse is more of a ST weapon than even Soma due to range limit).

Bows should use Shred if they want puncture - more RoF is a faster charge speed (same for Lanka/Ogris)

On Soma, Shred is about the same dps increase as Bane or a 3rd elemental, with the possibility of dealing 2-3x damage. Shred is also only a 25% dps loss over taking heavy caliber, which screws with long range damage potential and reduces successful headshots.

I also do use it for other things beside bosses. Mission running for example. But there the dmg a Soma does is high enough to kill an enemy within a few shots. They don't have the time (or I don't have the time) to move into a line and therefor be a good target for a Shred. In a standard mission there are only few situations where I can say, "yup, now I am hitting multiple targets with one shot".

If you want to get the max out of your weapon you should also ask yourself, how often am I in situations where this particular mod comes in handy. Same goes for the Shred. And I am far to less in such situations with my Soma, to see more value in a Shred than another dmg mod,

Also: I would still put a Shred on a Boltor.

Apologies, I keep forgetting that they fixed the projectile issue a while ago. 

Im just going to agree to disagree on this one, i find many uses for punch through in nearly every mission, very few types really benefit from having more damage on each bullet. (Assassination/ Capture) The rest can go both ways i guess. Personal preference.

Edited by (PS4)MyTagForHalo