The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Melee 2.0 Anticipation Megathread

gaurdianaq

The point is he's not playing for fun. He's like why would I use a whip when I have a machine gun? The answer is because a whip is awesome, sure its not practical but its fun. 

The practical answer should be that melee weapons do more damage than gun because it has a higher risk, right now they aren't "worth" using because they are less effective. 

Also you can't argue that "oh he said effective not dps" because the entire point of dps is how effective the weapon is. How fast can it sling damage, the faster the more effective as long as the goal is to do damage.

Not all weapons utilize DPS to be effective. Vectis says hi.

DPS =/= Effectiveness!

The strongest DPS build will be using 2 of the 6 total Dual Elemental Combos. Because of that, it will be only Effective against the races that are weak to it, even though with Procs/Crits/Elemental Damage it will be leading Damage.

The galantine is the King of Charge Damage dps, but for Valkyr? Its not effective because it doesnt have any crit, and it doesnt have a special AoE groundslam, two things that make her get the most of her alt.

The Penta spits out damage so hard it oneshots the tenno using it, having a gun that kills you isn't effective against the enemy at all if you need picked up every 10 seconds because of a close enviroment. Arguably, it is most effective in trinity's hands, because of Link + Blessing.

You have a galantine a long hallway, and a bunch of enemies on the other side. Why would it be effective to not shoot from your vantage point? What makes it more effective to run while blocking bullets?

Bows arent effective against ospreys if you dont know how to lead your target. Machineguns arent effective against a tight group without punch through.

Its not about numbers at all, its about Common-Freaking-Tactical-Sense.

Thanks for proving my point.

Sure there isn't one build for highest dps, but if you want the highest dps against a heavy grineer you use viral and radiation. And ya punch through is great! Because it literally multiplies your dps for every enemy it goes through. You wouldn't use a charge weapon with valkyr since she can't charge and you are wasting your dps mods! And Yes trinity is the best for the penta because she convert all of the dps she takes into damage for the enemy!

So ya its about Common-Freaking-Tactical-Sense-That-Increases-DPS.

You didn't even say the actual tactical things like silencing a gun or crawling through a mission stealthily everything you said is just how to get higher dps in different situations.

PS it would make sense to run down the hallway blocking bullets so you could slice 3 grineer in half with a single swing of your mighty blade. Think you save ammo!

PSS

Effective means killing quickly taking as little damage as possible.

Higher DPS makes things die faster.

The faster something dies the less time it has to hurt you.

Effective means higher dps

QED

Edited by immolator1001

Sure there isn't one build for highest dps, but if you want the highest dps against a heavy grineer you use viral and radiation. And ya punch through is great! Because it literally multiplies your dps for every enemy it goes through.

So ya its about Common-Freaking-Tactical-Sense-That-Increases-DPS.

You didn't even say the actual tactical things like silencing a gun or crawling through a mission stealthily everything you said is just how to get higher dps in different situations.

PS it would make sense to run down the hallway blocking bullets so you could slice 3 grineer in half with a single swing of your mighty blade. Think you save ammo!

Thank you for proving MY point.

Sure, Viral Radiation is perfect for your build, but i prefer Blast and Corrisive. I find that Bombards have a hard time knocking me down, while they are on the ground. Hush Mods are indeed an important point to make! I like them too, as when im in Pluto, i dont like things looking at me.

Tactics DOES deal with stealth, however the point im contesting is that the OP is dealing with WAAC gun modding making the new melee system useless. He isnt, he is questioning whether or not its efficient to pull out a sword (axe,stick,daggers,whip, etc) vice sticking with your gun.

My main is Loki, he was the first frame i started with and to this day is the one i have the most fun with.

The most effective thing I do with my frame will be SIGNIFICANTLY boosted with Melee 2.0.

Enter any room that contains too many enemies to shoot, Drop a Decoy, Radial Disarm, Cloak and start slashing. 50 corpses later, 0 bullets fired.

Will i Shelve my Vectis or my Braton prime? not likely, im going to need something to deal with priority targets. And if DE keeps on their promise to create melee-elites that can do what we do, then guns will be useless against them as they will be able to parry as well.

Not all weapons utilize DPS to be effective. Vectis says hi.

My Dread says hello :D

Thank you for proving MY point.

Sure, Viral Radiation is perfect for your build, but i prefer Blast and Corrisive. I find that Bombards have a hard time knocking me down, while they are on the ground. Hush Mods are indeed an important point to make! I like them too, as when im in Pluto, i dont like things looking at me.

Tactics DOES deal with stealth, however the point im contesting is that the OP is dealing with WAAC gun modding making the new melee system useless. He isnt, he is questioning whether or not its efficient to pull out a sword (axe,stick,daggers,whip, etc) vice sticking with your gun.

My main is Loki, he was the first frame i started with and to this day is the one i have the most fun with.

The most effective thing I do with my frame will be SIGNIFICANTLY boosted with Melee 2.0.

Enter any room that contains too many enemies to shoot, Drop a Decoy, Radial Disarm, Cloak and start slashing. 50 corpses later, 0 bullets fired.

Will i Shelve my Vectis or my Braton prime? not likely, im going to need something to deal with priority targets. And if DE keeps on their promise to create melee-elites that can do what we do, then guns will be useless against them as they will be able to parry as well.

My Dread says hello :D

Fine change DPS to "Burst dps" It means the same thing without reload. 

And while you may do all those things, OP doesn't talk about that, they says why use a sword when a gun is better?

They don't say why use a gun when you can stealth kill with melee. They focused on how gun will blow enemies away before melee can hit (if you have a strong sentinel and you are trying to use melee you'll notice). 

Also rereading OP they never say efficient of effective! The examples they give are weapons with high burst dps doing more damage than the melee could (go read the part about snipers).

Warframe without guns is just a bland hack & slash game. Warframe without melee is just another third-person shooter. It's the fact that both exist in combination with our powers and parkour moves that makes Warframe special. Players here want choice, whether they want to be the space samurai that cleaves evil with their katanas or the gunslinger that simply shoots everything in sight, or use both in concert to be able to handle any situation. All that Melee 2.0 is doing is making Melee a true choice by making it as viable a gameplay mechanic against enemies as guns, instead of just being a mid-level gimmick.

Even now though, melee already has several uses like in conservation of ammo or getting out of a hairy situation when you get within range of a melee unit, like say against Infested. Removing guns from gameplay removes player choice, which obviously many would not want.

Finally, real life ninjas used tools like throwing knives and scythes and such because they were weapons adapted from farming tools, which allows them to be well-hidden and not arouse suspicion. In fact, ninjas will use ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that'll allow them to complete their mission, and that does include firearms. Hell, we have the historical case of the ninja Sugitani Zenjubo, who used not one, but two arquebuses in an attempt to kill Oda Nobunaga (who survived due to his armor), and there's the case of three unknown ninja who tried to snipe Nobunaga with large-caliber firearms but killed his entourage instead. So the assertion that Ninjas don't use firearms is already false.

Edited by LGear

I couldn't care less if i could just blast away a hallway full of Grineer instead. After watching Scott mess around with Melee 2.0, i just wanna go all out and dice them to pieces.

It's not always about the highest DPS or whats "easier". Quit thinking in straight lines, guys.

IMHO. Melee is not a panacea against everything. And the update should not change it. Fortunately. His task is to make the existing melee easier to use. But it's still a secondary weapon. And if you jump into the crowd with a stick, as we saw on the stream, you die. Works as intended.

With melee 2.0 come out and melee becoming more variable,this has come into my mind...is there gonna be life leeching mod for melee?

U know,just like hysteria life leeching effect?

Thoughts? And no joking pls...

Lifesteal mods for the Melee Channeling system was mentioned in Devstream 26. Go watch it now if you haven't so you can see how Melee 2.0 works.

Don't mind them, they're U13 zealots.

Dear google, I have not used the internet before, nor have i read your sites terms of service or usage suggestions.

However I would like to know if you allow me to search.

And if so, would you have a feature such as "similar to" or "related to" in the search functions.

I believe those should be added otherwise.

No one is being a zealot here aside from you :C. 

Dear google, I have not used the internet before, nor have i read your sites terms of service or usage suggestions.

However I would like to know if you allow me to search.

And if so, would you have a feature such as "similar to" or "related to" in the search functions.

I believe those should be added otherwise.

No one is being a zealot here aside from you :C. 

idk what you said but I think it's proof of what I said.

I'm pretty sure the devs said it will be an ability from the channeling system. I can elaborate more if you'd like (in case you don't want to watch the stream).

Out of topic,

When you level up a melee weapon with a stance,

it will unlocked a new combo as I lvl it up, yes?

I think the way it will work is the stance is a mod card you use, much like the aura mods for warframes. Once you acquire one, you can fuse it like any other mod. I am not sure if this means combos are unlocked or if it just strengthens the combos or what.

Lol, agreed..

Someone should mark the important times in it..

There's actually about half of the stream with Scott showing off how melee 2.0 works. There's quite a few different aspects to it, all of which look interesting and promising.

Edited by Vitras

didnt see anything about whats going to happen to charge speed (wouldnt work with channeling) and charge damage mods

They are going to get replace/removed.

I hope DE still make Jat Kittag the jet-powered hammer it was supposed to be and gives it an unique animation set and combos.