The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Health-Related Wear & Tear

Deidaku

Hey guys here's my question.

Would it be possible in the future to show damage to the tenno suits according to the percentage of health left?

>50% health left= some tears 

>25% : bigger tears and bleeding

>10% armor parts broken ( Excal's horn broken , or loki's hammer head broken on one side?)

Because right now they bleed through their suits which doesn't make a lot of sense , so why not show some damage ( tears,holes in some places, revealing the "chainmal" underneath the armor)? 

Edited by Deidaku

Why? I'd like to see the counter argument

There are people out there who want their Tenno to stay pristine no matter the conditions. No blood on them, no scratches, no marks, no dents, no wounds. It adds to the feeling that they are unstoppable.

I'm both for and against it, so I can argue for both sides, but I lean towards wanting it AS LONG as there is an option. Some days I might not want to see the damage my poor reaction time has inflicted on my Nyx.

It's a cool idea to be sure, but this sounds like more of a polish feature, and we're still implementing core game-play and systemic systems. It might be worth revisiting this concept in a year's time. 

Okay thank you for reading :D

A year....*starts to cry deep inside with the soonTm picture in mind " XD

A shame that this won't be revisited for a year, but to add on to the OP's idea:

Instead of a bleed effect, there could be a visual effect of an environmental breach for the warframe. It would look like a steam or gas effect that's seeping into the suit and continues until the duration of the effect runs out as the hole gets automatically repaired by the suit. 

It's nice to know DE is paying attention to this stuff, because that is a really good idea.

On top of suit degradation there could also be variable animations for running, jumping, and idle. Seems the content pool might be pretty deep, as there are a lot of animation sets. . . but I think it would be worth doing for the sake of visual indicators regarding your health, should glancing up at the numbers be too risky in a firefight.

A shame that this won't be revisited for a year, but to add on to the OP's idea:

Instead of a bleed effect, there could be a visual effect of an environmental breach for the warframe. It would look like a steam or gas effect that's seeping into the suit and continues until the duration of the effect runs out as the hole gets automatically repaired by the suit. 

Yes ! actually the effect already exists in the enemies , look at what happens when you kill them :)

It's nice to know DE is paying attention to this stuff, because that is a really good idea.

On top of suit degradation there could also be variable animations for running, jumping, and idle. Seems the content pool might be pretty deep, as there are a lot of animation sets. . . but I think it would be worth doing for the sake of visual indicators regarding your health, should glancing up at the numbers be too risky in a firefight.

So limping when your health is very low?

So limping when your health is very low?

Something along those lines, yes.

I would prefer a more contextual system just for aesthetic reasons, so if you got hit in the leg too many times you'd limp, if you took a few shots to the gut you'd be hunched over and possibly holding the wounded area (should weapon grip permit), if you took a big hit to the head you'd stumble occasionally. 

Though that's kinda far-out. I imagine something like what's seen in this video would be more realistic in terms of development time:

Edited by -Synapse-

I feel we have enough things slowing down the pace of this supposedly fast-paced game already, so I disagree with your suggestion.

I feel we have enough things slowing down the pace of this supposedly fast-paced game already, so I disagree with your suggestion.

It doesn't have to effect speed.

The Tenno can just beef it out. They're tough like that since they can take a bullet hell storm 24/7.

It doesn't have to effect speed.

The Tenno can just beef it out. They're tough like that since they can take a bullet hell storm 24/7.

Then you might want to expand the description... by your OP, my impression is "limping", and having Loki jump around on one leg at regular speed would be kinda weird.

In other words: animation-wise, I don't mind any flavour you could add... but don't make Tenno slower, or pause to catch their breath while taking the controller off the player's hand or anything like that.

Then you might want to expand the description... by your OP, my impression is "limping", and having Loki jump around on one leg at regular speed would be kinda weird.

In other words: animation-wise, I don't mind any flavour you could add... but don't make Tenno slower, or pause to catch their breath while taking the controller off the player's hand or anything like that.

Yeah my bad on my part. Sorry about that. But, a one legged Loki sounds funny already.

I remember playing Uncharted 2 (minor spoilers if you haven't played it) there is a part in the story where Nate has to climb his way out of a train cart that's hanging off a ledge whilst having a gunshot wound in his kidney area. He's just desperately trying to grab on to next loose pipe or broken seat that's ready to come loose off it's screws. After that, you have to go through a blizzard and climb a couple of things. I went through that part jumping around like a maniac. Nate can truly beef out a gun shot wound.

Like in Uncharted 2, it doesn't have to slow down the player. Just for animation sake.

Edited by FFSMage

Yeah my bad on my part. Sorry about that. But, a one legged Loki sounds funny already.

I remember playing Uncharted 2 (minor spoilers if you haven't played it) there is a part in the story where Nate has to climb his way out of a train cart that's hanging off a ledge whilst having a gunshot wound in his kidney area. He's just desperately trying to grab on to next loose pipe or broken seat that's ready to come loose off it's screws. After that, you have to go through a blizzard and climb a couple of things. I went through that part jumping around like a maniac. Nate can truly beef out a gun shot wound.

Like in Uncharted 2, it doesn't have to slow down the player. Just for animation sake.

I get your talk on the animation aspect of it. Might look a little funny though, a limping tenno that's moving like it's running.

Would be fun to see in action.

What else is slowing down the pace?  I'd say the unfinished parkour system 

+ My suggeston doesn't have to interfere with speed anyway 

What else is slowing down the pace?  I'd say the unfinished parkour system 

+ My suggeston doesn't have to interfere with speed anyway 

If the wear & tear does things like make the Frames limp, then it shouldn't be allowed. This should not affect the gameplay whatsoever, only the visuals. If you moved slower the less health you had it'd be very annoying when trying to escape a squad of high-level Grineer chasing you down.

If the wear & tear does things like make the Frames limp, then it shouldn't be allowed. This should not affect the gameplay whatsoever, only the visuals. If you moved slower the less health you had it'd be very annoying when trying to escape a squad of high-level Grineer chasing you down.

Understood , I can see it already " Get to extraction man !!!!" *Teammate limps to extraction gets blow up by bombard* XD

I feel like this should be obvious, but limping isn't the only way to express pain. There are plenty of ways to display health level that don't interfere with movement, idle animations being a good example; things like more labored breathing, clutching at a wounded area, a bit of shaking, maybe some pronounced balance adjustments to show fatigue or dizziness, are all things that could add a ton of life to player characters.

There could also be custom transitional animations when going from one movement state to another, but nothing that would interfere with your movement. Just some basic stuff like momentarily losing your footing when slowing down or speeding up, favoring one side while rolling, or crawling instead of crouch-walking.

Even though it's low priority, these kinds of things would be invaluable in gameplay because you could see approximately how safe you are without taking your eyes off what's happening. If anything it should at least be higher priority than emotes.

Edited by -Synapse-