Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Would You Like To "take Cover"?

Gr3vi3R

A cover system in a game designed for fast paced run and gun (and face melting) creates one huge problem for me.

Which do you balance around?

Do enemies hit like trucks from the starting area so that you don't have easy mode when you take cover but die in the open from 3 hits?

Or do you have enemies that can't gun you down in a split second but allow the player to be invincible in cover?

Good point... the cover system doesn't really work with our quickly replenishing shields. It'd be troublesome to balance.

(an icon appears)

That's exactly the way I wouldn't want it to be as it would be quite spammy as you'd have multiple icons (depending on how many coverable walls/obstacles are "near" to you) floating around all the time if you are not in the middle of the corridor... and even then mostly of the time it/they would appear because of random obstacles being placed there too. And if at all it shouldn't be the X-button because it would cause problems in situations where'd you probably would like to use a control panel.

We are as late as 2014 and I think we should get rid of all those "floating icon appears if you are able to do something". I'd even get rid of those damned press-X-icons on elevator buttons and instead use the same system Doom 3 used for Control Panels. Get rid of interaction-buttons on your keyboard and use your crosshair instead. But I guess it may p*ss off console gamers, but then again I'm not in the favor of playing a Shooter on a console ever because of aiming limitations. Don't know how Doom 3 felt for Xbox 360 gamers back when it got ported, but probably it was sh*t and they tried to make a quick buck with it. :S

Edited by MeduSalem

This has been brought up 10^6 times.

Devs said no, it would slow down game too much.

I always felt that them saying that was kinda bullS#&$, especially with the current level design and enemy spawn rates.

Edited by Sasquatch180

Would you like to have the possibility to activate a "Take cover" status while behind a wall or a protection maybe with the activation button?

You leave the cover when you press the Zoom button Time Crisis style.

Of course with weapons like the Penta you have to adapt to the issue relating to the Zoom.

There are many trolls on this forums but I am not afraid I will face them head on, no need for cover here.

I actually wouldn't mind some cover. All this mamby pamby about a fast paced game is all fine and well, but what about stealth? It would greatly benefit from some sort of cover mechanic, if implemented correctly. Also, what about those times you're pinned down in a room with a crapton of enemies? Even if you have that 5 forma soma, you're still gonna be getting shot at and taking damage. If implemented CORRECTLY, I would love it to death.

I would like this for one reason.

Stealth, when I play solo I do like to try to do stealth runs because it is quite interesting to do (and lolzy) and a "Hard Cover" option could make stealth a bit more smoother, maybe make it that if your stealth is broken you can't use it as it has been brought up that when you are wall running you could stick to it and take cover instead of going up the wall.