The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Frost Ultimate Delay

CyrelV

I have been playing the heck out of my Frost Prime ever since I got him. I love the snow globe, the ice shard hadoken, and the ice meteors falling from the sky. However, after this most recent patch, I have noticed the following:

When I activate the warframe's ultimate ability, Avalanche, there is the typical short casting time, followed by the blind phase, followed by all nearby enemies getting frozen.

It used to be immediately upon freezing they would either receive damage and die as a frozen statue, or they would break free and start attacking. 

NOW, however, I'm noticing that after the cast has finished (and my avatar is free to move around) the enemies will still be frozen... but they haven't taken damage yet. In addition, I can't use any other abilities. I get an error 'power in use'. So I run around from anywhere between 3-6 seconds, shooting the frozen peoples... when they suddenly all take damage (presumably from my ultimate), and then I am able to use abilities again. 

Has anyone else encountered this? 

Is this a bug? Something I didn't notice before? Working as intended? 

I have zero issues chain-spamming my ultimate on any other class (especially my Oberon, mmm, healthorbz), it only seems to crop up when I'm on my frost. 

Update: Issue persists even in Solo (offline mode). Not lag related.

Update: Issue only appears when combining a power range increasing mod (Stretch) with the ultimate (Avalanche). 

Update: Having done my additional testing, and seeing that others have experienced this as well, I have created a new thread over in the PC Beta Bugs forum. Hopefully that's the right place? If anyone else here also feels that the avalanche ability is behaving incorrectly, please bump/comment in the thread. https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/189411-frost-ultimate-reaction-to-range/ 

P.S.: Snowglobe is fine just the way it is, which is friggan AMAZING, HP and all. Area invulnerability + Slow? Can stack multiple snowglobes ontop of one another to buffer globe HP? Yes please.

Edited by CyrelV

It's lag. I noticed the same thing, then I went back to solo and it was immediate damage. At first I thought it was one of the new changes to Frost's abilities, but it's just lag. I think it'd make an improvement on it, but that's just me.

Edit: I don't know the truth anymore. x.x

Edited by Vitras

I noticed that they were staying frozen when I was playing last night when they originally would immediately receive damage. The wiki says they only stay frozen for one second and Power Duration does not affect this.

Do you have any power duration mods on him? Maybe it's a bug after hotfix 12.3.2 with those mods, or just a general bug causing it to happen, or even a latency issue between you and the host (unless you're soloing/hosting).

Nope that's not a bug,

It's working as intended..

IMO I love it, it's a good CC power.

Do it in solo and see if it works then. It hasn't worked for me after I stopped doing it online.

Edit:

it's due to range mods. having no range mods let them explode instantly but having them on increases the duration of the freeze for some reason

Really? I'll have to check that out... Do you know how long it's been like that?

Edited by Vitras

The wiki says they only stay frozen for one second and Power Duration does not affect this.

The wiki is full of crap. It's been 6 months since Trinity's Energy Vampire got changed and they still have the incorrect description on it. In fact, almost a third of all the Warframe ability statistics on the wiki are false.

I don't care much about that delay but the fact that stuff is actually freezing and exploding like its suppose to now is the main thing but would be nice to have that fixed.....my main complaint now is the SNOW GLOBE with health!!!! its suppose to be impentriable n yet it dies in a few seconds in higher levels...this is just wrong on so many levels...SNOW GLOBE is basically useless now except for lower levels,,,,NEEDS FIXED!!!! as of now frost has only 1 ability worth anything and that's avalanche...his freeze ability is better thou but I don't use it really. before his avalanche was useless and globe was ggood now its opposite....how about we make them both work appropriately as the MoD says it should??????

On Range Mod theory...I've been using Frost Regular (Forma'd again!) recently with avalanche. Couldn't fit a range mod on before, and Avalanche still had the long build-up...I thought it was lag, definitely.

Added on a maxed Range mod only in my last playthrough, but I had to call it quits before playing another round.

Could be both? That range mod thing is strange if true.

I don't care much about that delay but the fact that stuff is actually freezing and exploding like its suppose to now is the main thing but would be nice to have that fixed.....my main complaint now is the SNOW GLOBE with health!!!! its suppose to be impentriable n yet it dies in a few seconds in higher levels...this is just wrong on so many levels...SNOW GLOBE is basically useless now except for lower levels,,,,NEEDS FIXED!!!! as of now frost has only 1 ability worth anything and that's avalanche...his freeze ability is better thou but I don't use it really. before his avalanche was useless and globe was ggood now its opposite....how about we make them both work appropriately as the MoD says it should??????

Complain all you like. Snow Globe was as broken as the Chinese government. It needed changing to make other frames viable.

Snow Globe is getting buffed on PC tomorrow anyways to last a full 30 seconds regardless of power duration, and take on the armor rating of the user's frame.

Please, friend, let's stay on topic. There's a whole 'nother forum branch where this complaint should go >> https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/188746-frost-revisited-332014/

ice globe again? please, use your other abilities to CC enemies, and whats your gun doing? 

the avalanche is working as it should be- i have no problems with it so far, including lags since im on ping 100 setting always

Additional testing has been done: 

- - - This situation persists in solo (offline) mode, lag is NOT an issue. 

- - - Upon removing all range mods from my build (namely, Stretch (rank 8 +37.5% range)), the power began functioning as normal. Immediately upon ending the casting animation, I could use the ultimate again. (Although the radius is HORRENDOUSLY small... even smaller than I remember..)

- - - Attempted a mission with ONLY avalanche and stretch socketed. The phenomenon appeared again. (Instead of claiming 'insufficient energy' when attempting to trigger my ultimate, it said 'Power in Use' just as it was doing before.)

Further description: After completion of the cast animation, when all the enemies are frozen, there is an extended region of swirling energy-colored particle/winds out to a large radius. When those finally disappear, I'm able to use the ultimate again. This consistently takes ~5 seconds even in Solo mode.

I have not experienced any other ultimate that behaves in this manner, and given that it only happens when I apply a RANGE increasing mod, it has to be some manner of bug....right?

Edited by CyrelV

ahah snow globe dies instantly at high levels? cool story bro, loki's decoy and saryn's molt called, saying welcome to the club or something

but seriously stop derailing threads, thats old news

I have not experienced any other ultimate that behaves in this manner, and given that it only happens when I apply a RANGE increasing mod, it has to be some manner of bug....right?

a bug i dunno, might just be an overlook that will become a feature in the next patch... think of slash dash and rhino charge, they got 'range' extended by duraion mods, and up until U9 or even U10, actual range mods did nothing to it. in order to not ruin people build after so much time (continuity and stretch have different polarities, and there were no currupted mods nor constitution at the time) they left duration increase distance and instead put (if i remember correctly) range mods increase lateral width of the dash/charge

Edited by TezeretFoxtrot

It is most likely a bug since range mods do increase the time enemies spend frozen solid. Whenever I play Frost/Frost Prime, I have Stretch + Overextended on him since Avalanche is one of the more enjoyable mass CC skills in game.

I would think that +range should only increase the RANGE, and the duration of time spent frozen would be from +duration. 

NEITHER of which should prevent me from using the ability AGAIN, especially if new enemies walk into my vicinity.

>_<

I would think that +range should only increase the RANGE, and the duration of time spent frozen would be from +duration. 

NEITHER of which should prevent me from using the ability AGAIN, especially if new enemies walk into my vicinity.

>_<

Incidentally, this is how it should normally work. However, since the change to frost's snow globe, I took off all duration mods and just use range mods for Avalanche and Ice Wave. Avalanche has been like this since the change. One day, DE will fix it and all will be normal again.

For now, all we can do is report it in the Bugs section and wait for a fix.

It's a bug related to range mods. 

Gives good CC. And it's the only thing that makes the ultimately worthwhile later on and in line with other ultimates. 

Sadly, yes, it's not a bug, but they just haven't bothered fixing it. I have actually suggested making it a feature and so that enemies take damage before being CC'ed, much like rhino stomp. 

If they change this, it will be another big Frost nerf. Because you will no longer be able to use Fleeting expertise builds if the stun is affected by duration.

Right now, Overextended + Fleeting expertise build makes Frost at least great at crowd control. If he does not have that anymore, he will have nothing for him.

NOW, however, I'm noticing that after the cast has finished (and my avatar is free to move around) the enemies will still be frozen... but they haven't taken damage yet. In addition, I can't use any other abilities. I get an error 'power in use'. So I run around from anywhere between 3-6 seconds, shooting the frozen peoples... when they suddenly all take damage (presumably from my ultimate), and then I am able to use abilities again. 

the true bug is you not being able to cast other abilities i can cast w/e the F*** i want while his ult is up.

gratz on bringing upon the worst nerf frost has ever seen.