The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A New Way To Read

Wiegraf

A contact of mine (actually Sheldon) sent a link through Twitter to check out this thing called "Spritz". It's actually a technology that's been in developpment for a time now which is a tool to help read faster and help memorize better as well.

Basically, instead of reading a block of text as you are doing right now, Spritz displays each word in rapid succession with the focus on one key letter in the word (usually, one a bit to the left of the center of the word) which allows you to read a sentence (or a full text) much faster. This is due of how our reading habits works : our brain takes about 20% of the time we read a sentence to make coherent and logical sense of it while the remaining 80% is our eyes physically moving from word to word (or a different line in a paragraph).

By removing the need to move your eyes constantly, you naturally speed up your reading since each word is put before your eyes instead. The speed is adjustable (all the pages of their website can be "spritzed") from 250 words per minute to 600 words per minutes.

Anyhow, check it out (link below); I'm hoping this kind of tech will make it to eBook softwares as a plugin (since only one word is displayed at a time, this means more of the screenspace can be used on, say, a smartphone to display it bigger) and perhaps word processors or somesuch.

http://www.spritzinc.com/the-science/

Edited by Wiegraf

Ah, heard about this a while ago.

I wonder how long do you need to read like this to strain your brain's energy household and lose the ability to concentrate on anything for an hour or two. Our big brains are way too costly, energy-wise.

I don't think it would be healthy to use for an hour long period of time... but I can see it being useful for short reading sessions of 10 minutes a day this way.

It would need to be tried out and see how well it affects memory and reading habits afterwards.

while that's neat, i can't read more than a sentence or two before i need to stop, move my eyes around, and refocus. 

i get tunnelvisioned like hell if i stare in one spot. and then my eyes can't see anything at all.