Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I'm Done With Broken Lights(Long Post/rant/opinion Of Endgame Player)

Double_DeluXe

I love this game, truly I do, but the broken lights annoy the **** out of me.

Traps which punish you for not paying attention are fine. Traps that require skill and reasoning to avoid or disable are fine. Hell, I'd even be totally cool with traps that require you to solve an environmental puzzle in order to proceed. All of these are tried and tested mechanics that add depth to game worlds.

Traps which can floor you in one hit, that you often can't even see until you've already been hit by them, are not a gameplay mechanic at all. They merely make things artificially difficult without any good reason. If a player has no recourse to react to hazards in game then said hazards will not be enjoyable and will merely serve to frustrate and annoy players. There's no risk/reward mechanic, there's no engagement mechanic, there's no mechanic at all, just pure, often unavoidable, punishment.

On the flip side of this, I understand that engineering interactive elements into a random tileset can be challenging, and I think that's where part of the problem may lie. DE may not have predicted that these broken lights (of electrical doom) would be so hard to see when placed into randomly generated level configurations. A good example is a light fitting on the opposite side of a door frame to you. You can't see it until you've passed it, but when approached from the opposite direction it would be obvious, as you're focused on the affected side of the door frame. 

The solution to this problem is fairly simple. Firstly the broken lights should be removed or heavily (HEAVILY) nerfed until they are revised to actually be entertaining. This would immediately solve people's biggest gripes about them. Secondly they should be thoroughly rethought with a view to actually attaching a mechanic to them. Examples of this could include electrical faults in a room that block progress and require players to shut off the power to proceed, or possibly a more considered placement approach combined with the ability to trigger them and use them to your advantage to stun enemies. Either way they should be made to have a purpose beyond hacking players off. Thirdly, and finally, they should be re-implemented with some signposting (not literally signs :P) to allow players to understand their purpose. A good example of this is the announcements the lotus makes about fires and faulty coolant systems. This approach would both add depth and enable players to understand the mechanics they are presented with.

Either way, in their current state they are simply a nuisance and should be changed / removed / revised. I honestly don't care which, I just don't want to be randomly put on my arse again for no other reason than not having x-ray vision. There's a part of me that wonders if their implementation was just a way to justify the existence of the (otherwise pretty pointless) 'Lightning Rod' mod, but if that's the case it just makes the mod a costly necessity when playing this tileset, rather than an option for player to consider.

So yeah, TL;DR: I agree. They should go. Please DE, I don't ever really complain about warframe, you've built a great game, but this is one instance where you really need to listen to people griping and react accordingly.

I think the highlight of my night was trying to level my Loki on Saturn only to end up failing 3 missions to roving packs of Broken Lights. 

Environmental hazards should be avoidable or manageable, the lights are ultimately neither.  Especially with the fact that it seems that more often than not they're placed in such a way that either no safe path can be made past them, or they're hiding on the blind sides of doors waiting for you to get close enough to fry you through the door frame.

Traps should be equally manageable or avoidable, like the orokin lasers or the Corpus turrets.

As it stands, the Broken Lights are not really hazards, nor are they traps.  What they are is punishment for attempting to move quickly through a level, or indeed, opening a door.  This is not the type of game where opening a door while undetected should be a terrifying experience.  We're not playing Amnesia.  If they worked as an intermittent pulse or arc that blocked the path they would be infinitely less painful to the players, and indeed, it would make more sense as they'd occasionally fry a trooper or two for being in the wrong place with all that ferrite and alloy armor.

In brief, Broken Lights are BROKEN and need to be broken.

Edited by Revenant102

It's obvious nothing will quell you guys until you can run around unimpeded and nuke the game with your skanas. I again am the vocal minority. I viciously oppose your position and with far less verbiage to boot. The new hazards are AWESOMe and I hope they stay. My God FINALLY SOMETHING DIFFERENT... I also hope we get more diverse hazards in the upcoming updates. To all people here who have and refuse to use the lightning rod mod when entering a grineer galleon ship complaining of dying too fast I say "well there you go". To all those who do not have the mod I say it is VERY common and you are likely to transmute one if trade chat is too tough for you. I have 45 pm me I'll give you one. Kill a scorpion they are even found on mercury apollodrus  I mean come on they super nerfed it and you still complain? Cut the damage in half and reduced the blinding effect and STILL yOU whiNE? You should be ashamed of yourself where is your guts? Winners rarely complain. Alot of you guys complain everywhere (OP excluded).

NVm.. Im throwing rocks at a statue...

Edited by Nkomo-Sama

It's obvious nothing will quell you guys until you can run around unimpeded and nuke the game with your skanas. I again am the vocal minority. I viciously oppose your position and with far less verbiage to boot. The new hazards are AWESOMe and I hope they stay. My God FINALLY SOMETHING DIFFERENT... I also hope we get more diverse hazards in the upcoming updates. To all people here who have and refuse to use the lightning rod mod when entering a grineer galleon ship complaining of dying too fast I say "well there you go". To all those who do not have the mod I say it is VERY common and you are likely to transmute one if trade chat is too tough for you. I have 45 pm me I'll give you one. Kill a scorpion they are even found on mercury apollodrus  I mean come on they super nerfed it and you still complain? Cut the damage in half and reduced the blinding effect and STILL yOU whiNE? You should be ashamed of yourself where is your guts? Winners rarely complain. Alot of you guys complain everywhere (OP excluded).

How many people have said they like the Orokin traps and Corpus Security Systems? Everyone. I have read countless posts that people enjoy traps and hazards, but don't like these lights.

No one here wants to nuke the game with Skanas. We want engaging gameplay. 

Traps we can not react to, or even not avoid at all are not engaging. 

Equipping a mod is not engaging. It is not Fun. It is not a thrill. Adding more shields or Eletricity resistance will not make dealing with lights a better experience. Only a safer one. It is not a solution.

Nothing in a game should ever force you to take damage you can't actively mitigate. A mod isn't active mitigation, it is passive, I do not feel any the better for using Lightning Rod or Vitality to buffer against these traps. Rolling, Jumping, timing, wallrunning, sprinting, sliding. These are the tools we need to be using to avoid traps.

Acting in an absolutely ridiculous manner that is against the game's pacing is not a solution either. I should be able to see, prepare, plan and then execute in response to a trap as I run in to it, or the room that it is in. Not find it around some blind corner and have no chance but to take the hit, or even react to it on the chance that I don't see it. I am fighting enemies as well as traps, they should be visible within the same sight lines as enemies or have a noticeable start up/sound/tell they've activated. 

This has nothing to do with what you think it does, stop passing your made up idea of our complaints on to us and then judging us based on that. 

This has nothing to do with easy mode. This has everything to do with proper engaging mechanics, good game design, and fun. 

Edited by LukeAura

How many people have said they like the Orokin traps and Corpus Security Systems? Everyone. I have read countless posts that people enjoy traps and hazards, but don't like these lights.

No one here wants to nuke the game with Skanas. We want engaging gameplay. 

Traps we can not react to, or even not avoid at all are not engaging. 

Equipping a mod is not engaging. It is not Fun. It is not a thrill. Adding more shields or Eletricity resistance will not make dealing with lights a better experience. Only a safer one. It is not a solution.

Nothing in a game should ever force you to take damage you can't actively mitigate. A mod isn't active mitigation, it is passive, I do not feel any the better for using Lightning Rod or Vitality to buffer against these traps. Rolling, Jumping, timing, wallrunning, sprinting, sliding. These are the tools we need to be using to avoid traps.

Acting in an absolutely ridiculous manner that is against the game's pacing is not a solution either. I should be able to see, prepare, plan and then execute in response to a trap as I run in to it, or the room that it is in. Not find it around some blind corner and have no chance but to take the hit, or even react to it on the chance that I don't see it. I am fighting enemies as well as traps, they should be visible within the same sight lines as enemies or have a noticeable start up/sound/tell they've activated. 

This has nothing to do with what you think it does, stop passing your made up idea of our complaints on to us and then judging us based on that. 

This has nothing to do with easy mode. This has everything to do with proper engaging mechanics, good game design, and fun. 

Is it that difficult to grasp that on a grineer galleon ship there are new hazards born of shoddy or shrewd engineering? Is it a foreign concept that the "pace" at which you deem appropriate may very well now have a manageable consequence now? Now it is to your advantage  to be careful. Especially solo. Is it NOT engaging to think " Hey I am going to a place with known RANDOM electric damage SOME of which may be nearly impossible to avoid... I think I will take my anti-electricity damage mod here...OR I am gonna be extra careful around these doors"  This is where we split perspectives.. I see a hazard you see an insurmountable obstacle. You  see I never mentioned an easy mode nor did I cast unwarranted aspersions. I thoroughly enjoy ALL of the new hazards and I sincerely miss the old ones. I was getting soooo bored with the monotonous tile sets... Now there is a new danger. That engages me because I want to survive that danger and I assure you 9 out of 10 I will find a way.....forgive me for trying to encourage you to do the same. Sorry you don't enjoy the new changes. I hope you come around or at least get over it.

edit...

And way to leave out the part where I said "Nvm I am throwing rocks at a statue." We won't be changing each others minds I just hope we both continue to enjoy the game in the future. I'd love if the forums had far less calls for nerfs and more "hey how do I/did you beat this?"

Edited by Nkomo-Sama

Is it NOT engaging to think " Hey I am going to a place with known RANDOM electric damage SOME of which may be nearly impossible to avoid... I think I will take my anti-electricity damage mod here...

That is exactly what I just said. It isn't engaging gameplay to mod for it in the UI.  You can not say otherwise, it is a simple truth. If it's unavoidable, if there is no way to actively mitigate it, it isn't engaging. I can mod for stronger CC, faster kills, faster reloads, faster sprint speeds and more stamina. These will help me as I actively mitigate damage from enemies. Lightningrod and Vitality will only passively help me mitigate damage from traps. 

That's not gameplay. And if you find it fun, well good for you. But for nearly everyone else, they are not. We demand a better trap.

Is it that difficult to grasp that on a grineer galleon ship there are new hazards born of shoddy or shrewd engineering? Is it a foreign concept that the "pace" at which you deem appropriate may very well now have a manageable consequence now? 

The pace I am fine with using in the Void? Or the Corpus ships? That have their own hazards? 

It is not the pace I deem appropriate. It is the pace set by the natural sprint speeds of Warframes, I'm not using Rush+Copters here, or even wallrunning. We have fluid motion mechanics, we have speed, we have mobility. This is the pace of Warframe, if it wasn't, we'd be made slower. These are also the tools we use to get around and deal with hazards, not what we should be punished for using. 

I thoroughly enjoy ALL of the new hazards and I sincerely miss the old ones. I was getting soooo bored with the monotonous tile sets... Now there is a new danger. That engages me because I want to survive that danger and I assure you 9 out of 10 I will find a way.....forgive me for trying to encourage you to do the same. Sorry you don't enjoy the new changes. I hope you come around or at least get over it.

And this is what I mean when I say you are passing off your ideas of us, on to us. 

I want the danger, we all want hazards. We have said this many times. But a Broken light I can't actively avoid and deal with while running a mission isn't danger. It is not a threat, it is inevitably and punishment. 

edit...

And way to leave out the part where I said "Nvm I am throwing rocks at a statue." We won't be changing each others minds I just hope we both continue to enjoy the game in the future. I'd love if the forums had far less calls for nerfs and more "hey how do I/did you beat this?"

Oh I'd love to see the same questions too, but you know what I don't want to see? "Slap on a mod and carry about your day." as the answer. Because if that's the answer, people won't be happy, nor will they be satisfied. 

Edit: Modding should be about playstyle. Which means that if I don't want the protection of lightning rod, or anti void laser spray, I shouldn't need it. This means that I have to rely more on my natural skills to avoid this obstacle. But if I can't do that, then their is a problem. This is an action game with rpg elements. In an rpg the point of the game is to prepare with items and gear for the combat you are about to face. Going to a fire zone? Bring some fire proof armor and your lava walking ring. Adding lightningrod would makes sense for a pure rpg. But in an action focused game, gameplay mid mission is going to be what I need to get by before anything else. And if gameplay mid mission won't solve the problem it needs to be made so.

Edited by LukeAura

Is it that difficult to grasp that on a grineer galleon ship there are new hazards born of shoddy or shrewd engineering? Is it a foreign concept that the "pace" at which you deem appropriate may very well now have a manageable consequence now? Now it is to your advantage  to be careful. Especially solo. Is it NOT engaging to think " Hey I am going to a place with known RANDOM electric damage SOME of which may be nearly impossible to avoid... I think I will take my anti-electricity damage mod here...OR I am gonna be extra careful around these doors"  This is where we split perspectives.. I see a hazard you see an insurmountable obstacle. You  see I never mentioned an easy mode nor did I cast unwarranted aspersions. I thoroughly enjoy ALL of the new hazards and I sincerely miss the old ones. I was getting soooo bored with the monotonous tile sets... Now there is a new danger. That engages me because I want to survive that danger and I assure you 9 out of 10 I will find a way.....forgive me for trying to encourage you to do the same. Sorry you don't enjoy the new changes. I hope you come around or at least get over it.

It is not 'Engaging' to watch your enemies stroll through a door chatting about what exactly Attack Pattern Bravo entails and then slip through said door only to immediately eat a lightning bolt that should by all accounts have hit 'Clem the Lancer' and his 'Scorpion girlfriend Rehrem Spahteyr' and fried their clone bodies until their eyes popped. 

The lights are not a trap, they are an environmental hazard, and up to this point said hazards (fire and ice) have affected both player and AI equally. 

If the lights are to be a trap then they need to be placed like a trap, such as the Orokin lasers, the Corpus cameras/turrets, or even the Grineer door scanners.  It needs to be identifiable readily by the player rather than a special surprise for anyone foolish enough to not follow behind a rhino with iron skin the whole way.

Now let's look at a new player in say, a rank 0 Excalibur frame, he's jogging along, enjoying a level when all of a sudden a lightning bolt strikes his space ninja without any warning and he is dropped into bleedout because they can deal as much as 300 damage, well in excess of the frame's starting statistics.  This is discouraging to new players because it appears as a cheap way to damage them.  Moving on to a higher level character and player we find that it's possible to survive a single flash easily enough with a rank 30 frame of any variety, but the game often stacks multiple lights together.  In the heat of battle, when being pursued by a large mob of Infested as one person suggested for example, the overwhelming majority of players will not have the time to stop, examine this new tile they're entering, and shoot out the lights in order to avoid the shock damage because if they do they'll be getting chewed on by a dozen Toxic Ancients.  This means they have to run in and hope for the best, which often times, will be getting flashed 1-3 times.

Lightning Rod mitigates some of the damage, but does not solve the problem any more than putting sandbags around your house would fix the fact that you live in a flood zone.  It is at best a temporary measure that will eventually fail you when chance dictates that you find a room with 6 lights in front of you, and a platoon of heavy gunners behind you.

Why you are so keen to defend the Broken Lights is beyond me, and I'm sure many other people who have responded here.  Perhaps it's just that where we see flawed execution of a potentially viable concept you see a non-issue because your builds have space to accommodate tileset specific defensive mods over ones that have wider utility, or maybe you don't play any maps with the Grineer Galleon tileset.  Regardless, it seems that you're by far in the minority regarding this issue. Your stubborn refusal to accept that some mechanical choices made by the developers in this evolving game may be poorly implemented and need revision is shockingly counter to the entire purpose of having a forum for gameplay feedback in the first place.

Edited by Revenant102

Freshly-Forma'd Oberon on Saturn Invasion mission...died in spawn room.

So yes, these lights need to go entirely. There's no fixing them UNLESS they make it to where they just short your shields. Either X percent or, hell, the entire thing. Leave my Mag with 75 HP. Leave my Oberon with 100HP. Whatever, that's fine. But 1-shotting me because I walked down some stairs? Uh no, that's not okay.

And we're all older players here (at least I think we are). So imagine how newbies feel on Mercury. All those nodes are on the Grineer ship. They get into this game that they know is a mob-rule shooterfest and they're killed as they spawn/before they spawn/as they walk into a room...by a light. Why would ANYONE want to continue to play this damned game as a new player after that?!

They are not fair

They are not interesting

They are not cool

They add nothing to gameplay

An obnoxious flash in your face at best and a random insta-kill at worst.

Broken lights are a failure at every level. DE, please go get a paper towel, pick up the turd of an idea that you left in the living room, and put it in the toilet. No. Stop. Don't put a tiny cushion on it and try to convince us it's fruniture, it's a turd. No amount of dressing up or tweaking will make your idea any less of a turd. Just pick it up and throw it out.

Can I give you all of the +1s? Like, can I be playing Magic: The Gathering and take all my +1/+1 counters and put them on you? Because that post was absolutely amazing. I was as seriously pissed off as possible over the lights and then I read this and now I'm sitting here giggling as I write this.

edit...

So you're suggesting that we have a separate build just for the Grineer Galleon tileset? One that will do nothing against the actual enemies there? Do you run Fortitude and Diamond Skin for the Void? And do you walk in ADS mode the entire time in both tilesets? Because that's what you'd have to do in order to entirely avoid these blasted lights.

On top of that, what do you expect of new players who run into these lights and just die? They don't have the mods to deal with them, they don't have the Frame health modifiers to tank them. They're just going to die immediately to the lights on Mercury and, in your world, (because in reality they just uninstall, as would I) look to the Forums for help. Here, they would find information about a Mod that they'll have to fight on the Galleon tileset to get (Scorpions are the only non-Infested enemy that drop it, according to the Wiki), or are told by the oh-so-helpful folks here that they need to move more slowly and carefully. With an MK-1 Braton and a Lato. And they're supposed to slow down. So they try that, and it doesn't work because a random light still gets them on the back of a door. So they quit the game. And then Warframe dies out. Because of a broken light.

Problems with the current implementation of lights, and some solutions, if DE really, really has their hearts set on having these broken lights:

short version:

- make lights arc to enemies and decoys in addition to the Tenno

- make lights vulnerable to all forms of damage, especially AoE

- remove RNG, handpick where the lights can spawn to ensure fairness and visibility

- make lights only affect shields and iron skin

- give each broken light an obvious flickering light source

Long Version:

Problem 1: ONLY affects Tenno (inconsistent with other environmental hazards)

Fix: make them also arc to enemies (perhaps only enemies with shields, see Problem #3), and decoys.

Problem 2: Not affected by some weapons

Fix: make broken lights vulnerable to all damage, including AoE from explosives/castanas/etc.

Problem 3: low visibility + random spawns + high damage = many, many unfair deaths

Fix 1 (-randomness): Remove RNG, and handpick only certain lights to be broken, ensuring players approaching from any direction will always be able to avoid/shoot the light once they know it's there

Fix 2 (±damage): Increase damage but make the electrical arc only affect shields and/or Iron Skin, and make a noise which attracts enemies within a large radius

Fix 3 (+visibility): Every broken light has a constantly flickering light source. Also needs Fix 1 and/or 2 to make a difference.

Fix 4: All of the above

Edited by Onihikage

Btw I play ceres nuovo (survival) more than any other mission on the star chart hands down 20-1. That is why I am so adamant about keeping this as is. I don't want anymore freakin nerfs. Everything is being removed or nerfed in this game. That sucks. What is there to aspire to? Why get strong? Soon there will be no need. That is why I oppose nerfing these lights AGAIN. They just got weakened to half strength and they are super easy to spot if you look for them.

Btw I play ceres nuovo (survival) more than any other mission on the star chart hands down 20-1. That is why I am so adamant about keeping this as is. I don't want anymore freakin nerfs. Everything is being removed or nerfed in this game. That sucks. What is there to aspire to? Why get strong? Soon there will be no need. That is why I oppose nerfing these lights AGAIN. They just got weakened to half strength and they are super easy to spot if you look for them.

Let me paraphrase you:

"I am an elitist with ultra-powered frames and weapons, don't make the game easier than it is for those who don't! Make them have to work through harder difficulties to start with than I have NOW!"

Broken lights: One of the worst additions to the game ever.

I just come from a grineer invasion in which i got shocked by 4 lights in a row... and because, as you sayd, were all hidden behind or around columns, doorways, crates, whatever.

Wasn't the bleeding proc bypassing the shields already enough of a "random just-because punishment" ?

Probably not since they had to add this thing of the broken lights too, which in my opinion are even worse becaue slow down the game action to the levels of "Castlevania II: Simon's Quest" when you have to trow holy water on the ground to make sure there are no hidden pits you cannot detect otherwise (AVGN reference here, i admit), here instead you have to, dunno, shoot some AOE skill at every corner to make sure there are no hidden broken lights right behind the door you're about to cross ?

Is not a matter of nerfing those things, is a matter that should never been there in first place, which is different.

To me there should have been some totally different hazard, the Corpus have cameras, laser barriers and turrets, the Grineer have cameras too now, barriers on the doors too... and broken lights. Why the broken lights anyway ? Are the Grineer so careless (or dumb) to can't patch up something so simple like a broken light ? Couldn't they have turrets like the Corpus too ?

Imo, remove those broken lights and add turrets instead, THAT would be a much better and more fair hazard.

Edited by Otakuwolf

In all the games I've played in the past 20 years, these hidden lights are the most mindbogglingly, ridiculously stupid things I have ever seen.

They are silly in both concept and execution. Random damage that you can't see, all of that coming from a broken light.

What are they using, nuclear-powered light bulbs that can just randomly produce lighting zaps from several meters distance? Electrocution doesn't even work that way.

Who the hell in DE thought this was a good idea to implement?

Edited by Yurilica

The RNG, combined with green laser beam doors, plus the new broken lights are the reasons i have quit warframe.

I used to really like warframe. Now i just find it frustrating and full of really bad design choices. (which seem to be getting worse with each patch or event.)

I know they said they nerfed the damage on them but honestly the damage is still absurd for something you literally cannot avoid over half the time. Did an exterminate gineer alert on venus solo a bit ago on my new mag and the lights were all doing upwards of 250 damage, I was killed twice because I walked into a room at full health and got double-zapped by lights on the other side of walls. 

Seriously these things are just stupid and add nothing but annoyance to the game, you literally cannot avoid these "tankiness checks" the majority of the time even if you're being as careful and tactical as possible. 

I'd be much happier if they would make them something that was activated from damage and not proximity, like explosive barrels.

I'd even be okay if the Grineer could shoot out the lights to get us, but they really should affect everyone in that scenario.

We want them replaced. Not gone completely. That is the common ground. One that has been said several times over by many people that you have yet to address. 

Traps need to be built within appropriate sight lines as well. I am dealing with entirely grounded enemies in Galleons. Grineer have no flying units there. Putting in a trap way above their heads doesn't make sense. Putting them behind doors and walls where I can get shocked before I can even hit them doesn't make sense. They may be spottable, but if I can't hit them then their is a flaw. 

They need to hit enemies as well as us. They're hazards. All hazards in the void effect enemies in the void. 

And the consequences of traps need to be handled through action. This is an action oriented game. 

In the void I can deal with the hazards in these ways.

1. Diamon SKin mod.

2. Don't activate the trap

3. Dodge the lasers.

4. Shoot out the traps. 

1 item based solution, 3 action based solutions. 

Broken light traps are dealt with by....

1. Equip lightningrod or other bulk increasing mods

I can't, not activate them. They're always active. 

I can't dodge them, they cover areas I have to progress through. And are hitscan.

I can't shoot them, they're in locations that they will hit me before I can hit them a lot of the time.

A broken light has no guaranteed action based solution. This needs fixing. 

But most importantly, they're broken lights. You die to a death laser, and that's not so bad. It's a death laser. That's a pretty cool ninja way to die.

You die to shoddy equipment, and you just feel disappointment. They need replaced with something that sounds like an actual trap or hazard. 

An high energy voltaic coil. Or some other space tech jargon. 

Edited by LukeAura